vs Discovery mod

There are 38 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Vishnu.

• In my personal opinion the only mod to go for is CF when it comes to single player (Not open SP) I like the toughness of the mod as I always found vanilla waaaaay too easy!

However... When it comes to multiplayer I think it comes down to not only the mod features but also the community around it and sadly I can't say I like Disco... I tried it out a few months ago, went online and asked a few questions in open chat such as "Does this server run FLAC or FLHook" and other few things i couldn't find a satisfying answer to on their forum... And the results were players being rude both in open and private chats about me to "Go read the rules" and bla bla bla like that... So my personal experience tells me CF is the mod to go for when it comes to both SP and MP! The guys are strict here yes, but not rude when it comes to a new player asking questions to make sure he got everything right...

• Hey doggedie, I think I'm in a similar situation to you. I don't want to invest the time needed to play online (plus I really would rather just play alone) but I would like to have the extra content added by these mods.

Basically I think you will find that Discovery is actually pretty much impossible to play single player, it is just too hard. That and some continuity issues is why the SP was completely removed in the latest release. I haven't gotten to far playing SP in crossfire, though it is much harder than the vanilla game, I would say that it still resides fully within the possible to play difficulty range.

• Bah may be it sounds very simple as a fact but anyway i have the impression that most ppl try mods in which there are guns with a lot of dmg and big fire rate and ships copied from classic titles.
    The rest for them doesn't matter. I think there isn't other mod that care so well for the balance and make the game playable(the players can see what happens or how they just died). Not sure this post is for this thread but i wanted to share it so hard :P

---------------------------------------ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็_(ツ)_ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

• imho, CF universe design is better, much easier to get around.
    And the ships in Disco are too big, they block out 2/3rds of the screen, cant see whats going on. CF ships are presented smaller on screen so you can see what your shooting at without your ships getting in the way.

I did like the variety of upgrades in Disco tho. Definateley had more variety and usable gear with no uber gear combo like CF has.

Still will stick with CF tho, the ships sizes and universe layout really put me off disco.

• DISCO is very bad
    Simple :
    Your a outcast, Say LOL good joke matey to a liberty navy ennemy but friend, BANNED for out of roleplaying = OORP. But i gotta admit that some guys use em too much...but thats not a reason for a ban rofl
    Same for smileys

ALSO disco pvps sux, its way to make money is hard and boring, its peeps have the worst behaviour ever, its rules are abusive.

Disco universe annoyes, its big for nothing really
    they make it big, but guys like corsairs and outcasts cant move out of their ZOI : Zone of interest.
    IT MEANS that outcasts or corsairs can't go to a system where there isn't npcs of that faction.

Do you think disco is good ?

nah i just advise you Void for its hard pvps, and the multitude of setups and ships
    BSG for its universe and cool fights.
    Hambourg city case its crazy mod with crazy peeps where u can pwn and get pwned without end due to the non overkill rule, also u can dockkill dock rape pwn trade pwn lvl1 guys (rofl), HC is very advised to chill after a hard day ^^

Regards
    Viper

EDIT: oh and 2 little disco stories experience :

Me : hey mate
    after...
    a guy : i have enough prooves to make you banned
    me : oh what i did ?
    him : do'nt play the ignorants
    me : i rly dunno what i did, maybe smething that i wasnt aware of?
    him : you use lol and smileys too much
    me : oh ROFL
    him : i have some friends in admins and you'll be banned
    me : oh ye so disco bans by the advise of admins friends ^^
    some hours before.....
    him : ok tell me the rule 2.3
    me : sry but i do have a life, i don't learn the rules every day every night m8
    him : then youre stupid !!

wait wait Marten, maybe she will be MY girlfriend...In night, she could play with my..uhm..my ethernet cables?

-Technically, make out with a girl is like connecting with another PC to win full administrator access ;)
    -LOL
    -So do you want try connecting with me?
    -I dunno is it safe
    -I promise i won't corrupt your files baby
    -OMG MY 0WN3R IS H3R3 G2G L8R
    ....in the meantime
    -What are ya doin' Pintsize?
    -Well i'm busy erm could you leave me a while....i need defragmenting now.

Questionable Content

• I am certain that on every server and mod there are people which made bad experience... and there are those which made good ones

Discovery and CF are no exception

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Certainly,

CF was in the first a bad experience, one yea ago, wanted to return some months ago and now it's real great ^^
    maybe getting some more FL experience in other servers 1 year long made my 2nd experience here better :)

but in disco two experience and the both were bad :/

anyway each mod has his defaults, and his good points.

wait wait Marten, maybe she will be MY girlfriend...In night, she could play with my..uhm..my ethernet cables?

-Technically, make out with a girl is like connecting with another PC to win full administrator access ;)
    -LOL
    -I dunno is it safe
    ....in the meantime

Questionable Content

• Pfft - OP i just have 1 thing to say. Stop this good guy routine with all mods are good and stuff and take the credit you deserve. CF is the best freelancer mod out there because you put the most effort into it. not to mention the most time, the most love, care and respect to it. You built it and expanded it within a great community and without further adoo, as I see no other freelancer mods show such a massive dedication, CF wins the overall vote.

CF rules, all other mods are second......with discovery 3rd and last in my books mainly cause I never liked it due to online stupidity serverwise ^^.

3 cheers to OP the Freelancer Mod God!!!!

• Exiler thats your view and every mod deserves its respect. even the mod creators. Its hell of work to do to built up a mod. Other servers have different role play, different changes, different set of players etc pp.
    That alone doesnt mean they are 2nd or 3rd. They are different - what is better or worst is the decision of the mod players.

Anyway i appreciate that you feel comfortable with CF - but dont diskredit other mods that easy.

• SWAT is a multigaming community supporting all kind of mods. The quality of a mod gets reflected by the players which play it and not by some words posted on a forum. Actuallly i dont want to see such a "this mod is the best" attitude on this forum because it looks damn stupid and its against the entire idea of this community.

Every mod deserves its chances... and all the modders out there did invest much time and work to build them. That always has to be credited.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• i tried 5 mods, and atm i'm playing 4 mods at once. I can tell my opinions :

-Void : My first mod where i really played long there, it's a great mod with 3D systems to explore, also many ships and many guns.....But the community isn't very good there, sometimes there's flames and such moans which destroy the void's popularity but it's a laggy server due to many useless things : Those many 3D systems, many peeps standing in one system, etc....

-CF : ^^ the very first mod i played in, one year ago. It was great, great systems, many things to explore, also good pvps, but it was really hard to buy the complete equipment alone, as i'm a lazy trader.

-Hambourg city : good vanillia mod, good pwnage and no specific rules, so dockrape kill starfilers kill al overkill etc....also peeps act sometimes like d**ks, but the server is always full due to that "freedom", also the server is laggy and crash sometimes.

-BSG : a very nice mod, from the battlestar galactica series, the ships from the series and the planets, also huge battlestars and some cool trades and fights, the community is funny and mostly without flames.

That's my opinions.

-LOL
    -I dunno is it safe
    ....in the meantime

Questionable Content

• Discovery was my 1st server where I started to play in MP...
    100+ player online maybe every day is cool IMO, lots of player interaction...ok there was, are and will be stupid players, but the best way how to deal with them is to ignore them :D. About the ships, before the 4.85 version there was many ships from sci-fi shows, I dont like these...i like the mods with unique ships build exclusively for 1 mod.
    CF is a new for me, but it rocks :-D...there are also or will be imported ships, but thats not matter :-D...these mod has got all the stuff i like: new systems, ships, enquipment and story - a short q.: what year is in CF, according to the After Setlement dating?

Btw Salim - McViper good to see a Voidian around :-D:-D

• its hard to tell you an exact year as CF is an evoling mod telling a story over many years

CF starts a few years after the original FL story

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

Originally posted by {LP}Admiral-(NL)

This is the best answer you'll get. Try both out if you want to know which one is more fun.

I agree with this. I've played several mods, and most of them are quite easily playable and can be enjoyed given one's preferences. I don't like the mods that lay heavy on creating separate, but neighboring "universes" (Babylon V, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, so on). Simpler expansions on the vanilla game have been interesting, but by and large what hooked me about CF was that it expanded upon the storyline continuum, reaching both forwards and back. Perhaps it's just the bias of having played a long time, but the features in this mod feel to me like they'd be closest to what Digital Anvil would have made of it given the same story-arcs; I can't find satisfaction in playing vanilla anymore. It feels too simplistic and meat-and-potatoes compared to what many of the game's best modders have produced - OP certainly amongst them. There are pros and cons to every mod, but some simply stand out from the others in terms of sheer excellence.

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• Well since the server was offline and all that, i went exploring on some mods myself and came across discovery mod 4.85.Apart from the fact that the main server was down ( the global one ) and i had to join another one where I found some russian guys shooting at each other and pretty much everything that looked like a ship ( myself included ), i tried to dock my space-wreck, well baaaad move because it lasts like forever. Anyway i did not gave up and finally the server came online, went in exploring a bit, made some money and started pvp with all that moved, i mean no offence to the people behind the characters there, but they suck big time, worst players possible ( in CF i cannot win a pvp with, well...no one ). I saw a post here with a contest between players of the 2 mods ( CF and Discovery )...a total waste of time they are just too weak.Now about the players online, sure there are 100+ i give you that, but the spirit and the passion for the game, the chats, the support, the atmosphere within the game... what can i say, lucky me because i came to CF first because i would have probably deleted the game and lost all the fun here.You should all be proud of what you have here because no other FL community has it ( i am not saying we because i have yet to prove myslef ).This being said, we'll meet in space mates :D
    P.S. These are my opinions alone i did not intended to offend anyone with my posting.I do appreciate the effort of discovery's team and all that i know it is not easy to make and maintain a FL mod.

• I am currently a disco player and have been loving the mining aspect in MP, what's the mining situation like in CF? also, what are some other nifty ways to make money? (I'm an MP only player)
    Thanks in advance,
    Lefty

• i am not familar with mining in discovery

but in CF can do mining eventhough it is not the best way of making money (in the next version this might change)
    there are many other ways to get money
    doing missions, trading in a dynamic economy, hunting NPCs and selling escape pods, taxing, smuggling...

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,