FL on widescreen

There are 55 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Huor.

Is it possible to mod the resolution to 1680x1050? I would not know myself but I have seen other games that had lower a resolution and where someone has modded to a higher resolution.

Yes, it is possible. To change the resolution you have to edit two ini files (create backups youll need them when you play with normal screens again):

1. one is located in your documents folder /My Games/Freelancer/PerfOptions.ini
    That is the relevant part

[Display]
    size= 1680, 1050
    color_bpp= 32 (example)
    depth_bpp= 24 (example)

2. The other one is the Freelancer.ini. You'll find it in your FL directory/EXE/freelancer.ini

[Display]
    fullscreen = 1
    size = 1680,1050 (no space behind the comma )
    color_bpp = 32
    depth_bpp = 24

Now you play with 1680x1050 but it looks bad because the HUDs are at wrong places
    The solution is easily found at other forums:
    You have to modify cameras.ini found in FreeLancer path/Data like this:

You might need to disable the writing protection first to save it.
    thats how it would look like now:

Now we go for the fonts as they are very large yet.

open Data/FONTS/fonts.ini and use this:

Save it without protection again and you should be fine

Thats the optimized version with much smaller playernames and text fonts and an optimized Font size for the nav map.

BTW The hint with the cameras.ini was known on the berlin city server forums, the fonts are my work though

• thx for this good tutorial

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Excellent work Black. I have used your exact work and my game looks smoother and certainly sharp.

Thanks m8.

Gunny

@Op, can we make this a sticky?

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Looks cool, thanx m8, but didnt work that good with me, maybe coz I have a resolution of 1440x900
    On the first ini files I have done it correct, replaced the 1680x1050 with mine 1440 and 900
    The huds are smaller, but still at the wrong places...
    probably I need to change these numbers, so it fits to 1400x900
    does anybody know how??

• Well the modification from Black was only for his resolution 1680 x 1050

If you wanna change it to your resolution then play a bit with the values and settings.

BTW: The ";" shouldn't be removed at the entry in the freelancer.ini for [;Display]???

; are normally comments in ini files???

• I tried it with 1440x900 and it works fine for me:

If the HUD does not touch the upper and lower boundary of your screen you should modify cameras.ini and change the WinCamera value
    But if you were worried because the HUD is not exactly expanded to the left and right side, forget it. ;)

The original problem is that the HUD windows have absolute positions optimized for the original resolutions while status bar has relative values.
    By changing the WinCamera you just "zoom in and out" untill the HUD fits into the heigth of the monitor. The value is apparently relative again so it does
    not matter what resolution you use but what mode (normal or widescreen)
    Here is how it looks with the original Camera but new resolution and fonts:

The font sizes are absolute values but they should work as i made them pretty small already.

If this doesnt solve anything please post a screenshot

• Well the problem is solved, it was just.. I dont even know what lol
    As I loaded a char after editing the ini files, I was docked on a station, and dindt see any icons on the top side of the screen. For example it was not possible to go to the bar, the icon was too high... only launching was deep enough to select it.
    But after undocking everything was fine, and after I docked again, it was ok aswell.
    So its everything right now, thanx, its looking really awesome with that resolution on widescreen :)

• I used these instructions with 100% success, although I had to download a savegame fromt he net in order to undock.

If you are using this on a new installation then I would recommend playing the game on the standard res until you have a ship.

After that undocking seems to cause the HUD to reset and all is well.

Thanks for the info!

• I have a 22" widescreen and I use 1600x1200 and it looks just fine for me. Am I missing something that making it widescreen is better?

• Got an Acer P223w 22" widescreen the other day and set about making changes to the resultion, so now it is set at 1680x1050.

At first thought it wasn't working cause top hud bar was missing (was docked at the time), but after reading more on this page i relaised that all i needed to do was take off.

That has fixed my problem. Super smashing great :D

<-------ONCE AGAIN ARISING FROM THE ASHES. ONCE MORE TO KICKS THE CSF's ASS TO THE NEXT SECTOR.------>

http://i024.radikal.ru/0810/0b/985e1e888a76.jpg

<-----------------------------------------------DC Phoenix - General [866][865][866]---------------------------------------------->

[21] Intel Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz - Asus P5KC M/B - Ati Sapphire HD3870 512Mb GDDR4 Graphic Card - Ballstic 4x1Gb DDR2 1066Mhz RAM - 1 x 160GB + 1 x 250Gb SATA HDD - 2 x DVD-R/W Drive - Jeantech Orchid 575w PSU - iCute Custom Case - ACER P223w 22" Widescreen Monitor - Wireless Keyboard And Mouse - 5.1 Surround Sound Setup - Take Pride In Your System And Build It Yourself [21]

• alright i got mine to work in 1920x1080 perfectly no hud messed up and fonts all fit in there boxes all you have to do add this if you want 1920x1080.

Edit: This should also work for 1920x1200 just fine I'll find out this weekend when I get a chance to fiddle with it some more at the lan party my area throws this saturday.

Code
    1. [TrueType] nickname = ButtonText font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.020000 [TrueType] nickname = PageHeader font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.020000 [TrueType] nickname = SubHeader font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.025000 [TrueType] nickname = ItemName font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.015000 [TrueType] nickname = ListText font = Arial Unicode MS fixed_height = 0.010000 [TrueType] nickname = ToolTip font = Arial Unicode MS fixed_height = 0.020000 [TrueType] nickname = Rollover font = Arial Unicode MS fixed_height = 0.018000 [TrueType] nickname = HudSmall font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.020000 [TrueType] nickname = MissionObjective font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.015000 [TrueType] nickname = Normal font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.017500 [TrueType] nickname = NewsMission font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.020000 [TrueType] nickname = NewsTicker font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.025000 [TrueType] nickname = PlayerName font = Arial Unicode MS fixed_height = 0.015000 [TrueType] nickname = TradePlayerName font = Arial Unicode MS fixed_height = 0.015000 [TrueType] nickname = DebugText font = FixedSys fixed_height = 0.025000 [TrueType] nickname = ConfirmPlayerText font = Arial Unicode MS fixed_height = 0.015000 [TrueType] nickname = ConfirmText font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.015000 [TrueType] nickname = NavMap1600 font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.015000 [TrueType] nickname = NavMap1024 font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.020000 [TrueType] nickname = NavMap1280 font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.018000 [TrueType] nickname = NavMap800 font = Agency FB fixed_height = 0.023000

as you noticed i took what was already there and just reduced the number for all the fonts that was changed to about 1/3 less of what change was there

for cameras.ini you need to just change the fovx.

it should fit nicely for all those higher resolution. if for instance you want higher just reduce the fonts a bit more and change the fovx i bit higher :) hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------System Specs-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AMD Athlon64 X2 5200+ @ 2.6Ghz - Asus M2N-Sli Deluxe M/B - EVGA Geforce GT 280 Extreme OC edition - Geforce 8800GTS 640meg as physics card - Creative X-Fi gamer - 2Gb DDR2 800 RAM - 1 x 250Gb 1 x500gb SATA HDD - Corsair 750w PSW 1 60a 12v rail - Hansg 28" 1920x1200 LCD monitor. but i play one my 50" samsung 1080p plasma :) mostly

• I know I'm bumping this, but does anyone know how to get values right for 1280x720?
    I REALLY wanna play Freelancer on HD, but there seems to be only 1680x1050...
    Anyone?

I've been here since Crossfire 1.5 - 2005.
    Good times.
    Maybe it's time to come back?

• Have you tried entering your resolutin values and using the camera fovx value for widescreen mentioned in the 1st post? Might work allready without alternating the fonts... If not, play arount a little.

• That's the thing - I did change the camera values and resolution, that was not a problem.
    But I really had no idea on how to edit the fonts...

Good times.

• You mean a screenie of the game, modded to widescreen?
    Ok...

Good times.

• I have a nice new widescreen now and I tried this tutorial, but it doesn't work for me. I changed the resolution in both ini-files, but the game resets it to 800x600 as soon as I launch it. Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone help? ?(

• Are you sure that you entered the correct values. As far as i remember it had to be written with a space in one ini and without into the other ini. If nothing works, bump this thread at the weekend. At home i may have inis you can replace yours with