Can't beat Ashcroft

There are 18 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ExxoRush.

• Hey guys,i am trying to get thru the Ashcroft mission in sp,let me say that i am an ok combat pilot even tho at 59 i have lost some mobility,dexterity,and reflex,but still whats up with Ashcroft?his ship defies physics,he appears tp have unlimited shield batteries and nano bots,and he wont sit still long enough to really damage his shields,i have went after him in 3 different ships the starter ship a rhino and a patriot,and still no joy the closest i have come is by loading all missiles and i did manage to get his shields down but i ran out of missiles and he went zipping off screen and by the time i got him back all his shields were restored,now i know that this mod was created mostly for MP,and that the npc ships were harder to kill but Ashcroft is just crazy over powered,does any body have a strategy or tactic for killing this guy,maybe if i could target his engines i could take him like king says,but i have bound 2 controls target subsystem and target next subsystem, neither are working,i did once get a thruster subsystem to show but thrusters are not engines are they ?any way i will never get to leave the NY system if i can't beat this guy so any advice would be greatly appreciated,i do have a lot of credits if it's just a question of buying the best fighter ship in the NY system the HF for sale at planet Pittsburgh,please i know lots of players have beat this guy ,so could someone or a lot of someones share hoe they did it with me?

• that's weird, i have never heard of such problems with the Ashcroft mission. normally you can take him easily with the HF that you can gain at BS Missouri.

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• Get heavy (slow) hitters (guns) on manhattan on patriot and look how to use "rapid" fire: Combat Video Guides - SWAT Portal

With some short practice you will be able land more hits in row on Ashcroft and it will finish him faster as he is able restore shields. (each NPC can restore shields with time, the same way like players)

• Guys,i watched the videos but i have a question how are u supposed to steer your ship hold down the right mouse key and press whatever keys u have bound to rapid fire?unless i am missing something,and yes denne Ashcroft is a brute,far stronger than he should be.

• It's about pilot skills. If you think Ashcroft is hard, then you are in trouble :)

Use Free Flight (TAB to boost in any direction) and Strafe and ofc a good ship and some good weapons. Concentrate on Ashcroft

hth

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• I could also recommend to try Defender sold on Battleship Missouri. It is not as fast as Patriot but it's got a bit more armor and bats/bots than Rhino or Patriot.

I wouldn't use missiles against human NPCs. In Crossfire, they learned how to use countermeasure droppers.

You also can grind a ton of cash and buy Hermes or even Werewolf on Pittsburgh. The latter costs a whooping ~9M creds, but it's a class 10 VHF.

(You might find grinding those 9M easier after Mission 2; since you'll be able to sell Escape Pods on LPI Huntsville in Texas)

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

Edited 2 times, last by Ajay ().

• Martind Forlon

Changed the title of the thread from “Can't beat Ashroft” to “Can't beat Ashcroft”.
  • Sorry, this thread was accidentaly removed when we (moderators) clean forum from bots attacks. Ive restorerd it, but thread name was set by me.

Odin Kree ... this mod was created with idea to be challenging and offer fun for players for a long time. I know that there are many who thinks that it is too difficult, but during all these years here on portal we saw again and again that everyone who did not gave up had much fun with play CF later when adapted on this game requierements. CF need from players to learn how to fly better theirs ship, how to find own ways how to dealt with different enemies and how to ask for help ... this is why we are here, to offer help for anyone who want find a way in CF and who do not search an easy game.

• Hi Odin, you should be able to beat Ashcroft with the Patriot or the Defender from the Missouri Battle Ship in NY.

You should, if you don't allready have it dock Rochester and get the best shield aroud NY for either ship, the level 3 molecular from the Junkers.

They should still be friendly enough to sell it to you, since up to now you should mostly have been shooting Lib Rogues.

Arm your ship wth one or two rapid fire guns, they will help you to aim even if you buy lvl 1 guns this will help to level out the heavy energy usage of the killer guns, for the rest get the best heavy hitters you can buy and go get him.

if that does not work - fly to Custodian, and goto Planet Blood ( you said you have a good deal of credits ) and deck out the black eagle ( the Ship itself only costs about 600 thousand ) with a full set of lvl 9 worm types, the advanced thruster, lvl 10 shield and the best scanner and tractor beam you can buy, ( the cheapest Scanner and Tractor beam will be just fine for now if the credits are short ) then fly directly back to NY fly right through the Ashcroft mission and the rest of the game.

Don't buy anything other than the Black Eagle ( there is a good reason for that) and don't stray anywhere else, you will be tempted by the gate to X but that can have concequences for causing you to damage the story line and stop you moving forward - in short you may not be able to complete the game if you fly into sectors that break the story sequence - you may find yourself stuck and unable to get back to NY, because Jump Gates can become undockable or dissappear and not re materialise for you to use.

Hope the Custodian Gate is still open for you, if you want to go that way.

Before doing that give both the Patriot and Defender a chance.

Good Luck mate - You can do this. :) :)

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

Edited once, last by ringotwin ().

• Thanks guys,for the advice and the encouragement ,i have a question for ...ringtowin u mentioned the custodian gate,i have completely explored the NY system and i have not found a custodian gate ,please tell me where it is.try all very much i will not give up on this.

• I think the Custodian Gate won't appear in NY until the certain point. If it's still there it should be located near Rochester Base, to the north on Planet Manhattan.

If it's still there, Ringotwin's advice would be helpful, the Black Eagle is a rather good ship.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• The Custodian gate will appear in NY System when you finish the original campaign ( beating the nomads, and ending back in NY ) :)
    After that, CF campaign will start.

The CF campaign has much tougher enemies than the original game offers, i highly suggest you to get a VHF ( you can get the Griffin for example very early on the original campaign - when you are escaping from Liberty, and the Lane Hackers come to your aid - there is one time you can land on Mactan Base - you can get the Griffin there, almost the same as the Black Eagle or the normal Eagle, but a bit better in my opinion :) - as far as i remember, you need around 10 Million credits for that ship, and equipment - check Detroit Munitions in NY )

As for the money: You can do missions in Texas system, or in Oasis in the beginning ( Oasis can be very hard for you right now ) after mission 2 ends. Get some money, and you will be all good.

Happy hunting!
    Exxo

• Guys,i watched the videos but i have a question how are u supposed to steer your ship hold down the right mouse key and press whatever keys u have bound to rapid fire?unless i am missing something,and yes denne Ashcroft is a brute,far stronger than he should be.

With practice dude, truly practice is the best teacher there is. You can use these combos best in Free-Flight, just maneuver more on the battlefield and then attack when the time is right, because if you're not moving much, you're an easy target, especially in CF. Although if you still can't get pass him, you can lower the difficulty in the Options, even allowing yourself a 'god' mode if you deem it so.

About the equipment, the folks here have already given you much advices, good luck.

• I think the Custodian Gate won't appear in NY until the certain point.

The Custodian gate will appear in NY System when you finish the original campaign

dunno if my installation is buggy, but the last time i started the campaign (1 month ago) i was able to use the jumpgate to Custodian directly after the first mission and so i made the Ashcroft thingy with a Black Eagle. fortunately for Ashcroft the game script prevented him from getting killed due to my firepower :D

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• Hi. All

The Custodian gate should be there behind Rochester.

if it isn't there now it should return in time

a way to check if it was there - restart the save game after the finish of mission 1 or any player save game before talking to Juni, because the activation of the mission may be what either locks it or may make it dissappear.

if it can't be found just after mission 1 something may be wrong, because in my installation I have allways found it able to be used.

Good flying :) :)

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• agreed

come on over

it's fun :) :)

• I did it the hardway first time

so it can be done

the BE came much later

when I decided to push the envelope. :) :)