Re-allocating CF Systems to other Regions (Discussion purposes only)

There are 12 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by wombat1940.

• It has always surprised me that in the Regional Order on Wiki, we have a region "CF Systems". To my way of thinking the systems identified in the CF Region (and there's a lot of them) should be part of existing regions. I started playing around with it: where would I put them if it was solely up to me? 8)
    Somebody here at SWAT Portal suggested I publically release my suggestions purely for discussion purposes. So here it is (see attachment). It is based upon SP setup only. (That's all I know about). It also allocates the Unknown Systems (where possible). It has no status other than maybe a talking point. Enjoy. ;)

• I see how you group them in relation to their closest inhabited territory. The CF systems are a bit scatterbrained on the map in game for sure and can agree that organizing them on the wiki by region would certainly help morons like me find a system based on the general area of my ship.

But my question is, if it's solely for an SP setup (whatever that means) then what purpose would reorganizing the wiki serve in addition to ease of access for system information? How would it benefit the whole community (in addition to the aforementioned)

• Thanks for the response PortalEarth. :thumbup: Just a couple of points of clarification:

- "SP setup" would have been better expressed as "SP game mode". To differentiate from the MP game mode.
    - "benefit the whole community". It wasn't necessarily prepared with that is mind. It was to better integrate the CF2.0 systems into the original Freelancer. Hence moving them to already recognised regions.

It is of interest that I didn't " ...... group them in relation to their closest inhabited territory ..... " as you suggested. That was purely consequently and something I was unaware of. My method involved viewing each CF2.0 system in the light who controlled it. In fact I had to introduce a new region (Nomads Region) just to handle some of the systems; namely the Unknown Systems where they appear to rule almost unopposed. There were systems I couldn't transfer: the links were just not there. Hence there remains a Crossfire System region but for only a few systems (6 in total where currently it's 34).

In conclusion. It was never meant as a tool to "assist the community". It was simply to re-categorise CF System systems. If, as a consequence, it does assist the community, so be it. However I leave it to others to be the judge of that. ;)

• Okay. I think i get where you're coming from. I just noticed a pattern, for example, that the CF systems located around Rhineland were put under the "Rhineland" Regin. The ones around Liberty grouped under Liberty etc. For Listing Nomad and Unknown systems, i'd consider Unknown systems more easter eggy/Bonus systems, that's just me though. And honestly, with a maxed out ship you can pick up the Unknown holes pretty easily on the scanners

I'll be honest though, I've played Freelancer since it's been released, Played in a Halo Total Conversion mod that altered combat to the point of games of chicken in ships the size of the Corsair Dreadnaught at speeds as fast (or faster) of a Admin Ragnarok. Eventually i Found Crossfire but at the time, i was so burnt out on the vanilla Singleplayer, i couldn't do it again just to get to the CF missions. So i went straight to MP. That was over 10 years ago. TLDR I never played the CF singleplayer

So, you might have to explain "SP game mode" a little further and i apologize. I mean You gotta grind out the exploration in Singleplayer between story missions just like you gotta do in Open MP and those show up as you discover them. The difference is you're limited in what Jump Gates are locked/unlocked. Like you can't go to the Colorado System before the 3rd mission but you can explore and document everything in NY and California.

• Okay, I've taken a look at this proposal and here's my thoughts.

-To me, Hyperion doesn't feel like it belongs to Sirius sector at all, but still, the mod places it there and there's little I can do about it.
    -Having Nomad Systems as a separate territory seems legit, IDK.
    -Leaving Custodian, Nephele, etc in Crossfire Worlds makes little sense. I think they also should be placed in Independent Worlds (abolishing Crossfire Worlds category altogether), or X-3043 and adjacent systems (except Omicron Alpha) moved into Crossfire worlds.
    -Oh, did I say Omicron Alpha? Omicron Alpha and Gamma, I think, belong to the Edge Worlds.
    -You also left out Omicron Beta and Tau 37. I believe their place is also in Edge Worlds.
    -The Corridor has nothing to do with Kusari. It bridges Bretonia and X-3043. Either move it to Bretonia, to Independent Worlds or Crossfire Worlds.
    -While Utopia is located in the Edge Worlds, it is a major Rheinland military base, so having it as a Rheinland enclave seems legit.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• Okay, I've taken a look at this proposal and here's my thoughts.

Wombat: Its not really a proposal. Sorry I'm being very pedantic, but I'm not suggesting any changes. That's well beyond my station as Private First Class. ;) Others here (OP maybe?) will decide all of that and that's as it should be.

-To me, Hyperion doesn't feel like it belongs to Sirius sector at all, but still, the mod places it there and there's little I can do about it.

Wombat: I don't have any trouble with that. Its one of the ways out of the Sirius Sector into the new sectors.

-Having Nomad Systems as a separate territory seems legit, IDK.

Wombat: :thumbup:

-Leaving Custodian, Nephele, etc in Crossfire Worlds makes little sense. I think they also should be placed in Independent Worlds (abolishing Crossfire Worlds category altogether), or X-3043 and adjacent systems (except Omicron Alpha) moved into Crossfire worlds.

Wombat: I love the first option. Will I move them now? 8o Then only 4 systems left in CF System.

-Oh, did I say Omicron Alpha? Omicron Alpha and Gamma, I think, belong to the Edge Worlds.

Wombat: No problem ...... where ever ..... just out of the CF region ...... ;)

-You also left out Omicron Beta and Tau 37. I believe their place is also in Edge Worlds.

Wombat: Wow!!! Your right!!! I'll also have a look ......

-The Corridor has nothing to do with Kusari. It bridges Bretonia and X-3043. Either move it to Bretonia, to Independent Worlds or Crossfire Worlds.

Wombat: Thanks. I'll have a look.

-While Utopia is located in the Edge Worlds, it is a major Rheinland military base, so having it as a Rheinland enclave seems legit.

Wombat: Ok. Will again have a look.

Thanks for such a detailed response. All joking aside, I 'll have a close look at your suggestions. You are far better acquainted on the appropriate System/Region relationship than me, so I will be easily persuaded.

I think you've just about emptied out the Crossfire Systems Region except for "Purian Lake" and "Sea of Shadows". These could go into the "Unassigned Regional Grouping". I personally have no difficultly with a system being regionally unassigned.

• Okay. I think i get where you're coming from. I just noticed a pattern, for example, that the CF systems located around Rhineland were put under the "Rhineland" Regin. The ones around Liberty grouped under Liberty etc. For Listing Nomad and Unknown systems, i'd consider Unknown systems more easter eggy/Bonus systems, that's just me though. And honestly, with a maxed out ship you can pick up the Unknown holes pretty easily on the scanners

Wombat: Unknown Systems I'm also unsure about. Show they be "assigned" to a region or just maybe left in the "unassigned grouping. As I have said elsewhere, I have no difficult having an unassigned group. I've included one already and I'm likely to add to if I follow AJay's advice. Why not include the Unknowns? Just because they are overrun by Nomads doesn't mean they belong in their region.

I'll be honest though, I've played Freelancer since it's been released, Played in a Halo Total Conversion mod that altered combat to the point of games of chicken in ships the size of the Corsair Dreadnaught at speeds as fast (or faster) of a Admin Ragnarok. Eventually i Found Crossfire but at the time, i was so burnt out on the vanilla Singleplayer, i couldn't do it again just to get to the CF missions. So i went straight to MP. That was over 10 years ago. TLDR I never played the CF singleplayer

Wombat: Yes understand. I'm soooooooooooooooooo glad I've got through the CF single player missions. Now I am a real freelancer. Go anywhere, do anything, setup so I have no enemies (other than the Nomads, Dom'Kavash, etc. of course). I'm tied of fighting and killing. Maybe that's why I'm not in MP. When you get to my age, it all seems so futile. I survived the 2nd world war in the UK as a baby and I'm grateful for that. Of course I play in "God mode", but I justify that by shooting at no one. Well ...... occasional Nomads out of sheer frustration. ;)

Wombat: Thank you. Nice chatting . :thumbup:

• I think you've just about emptied out the Crossfire Systems Region except for "Purian Lake" and "Sea of Shadows". These could go into the "Unassigned Regional Grouping". I personally have no difficultly with a system being regionally unassigned.

I meant that they'd get reassigned to Independent Worlds too. Well, I'd reassign Sea of Shadows... Purian Lake is a more difficult example, as it can only be reached from Freeport 7 and Nomads Lair. So IDK on that one.

• IDK = I Don't Know.
    I tend to use quite a lot of abbreviations in my speech.

• Please find attached my latest Regional Systems suggested revised layout (Regional Groupings 2). Once again it has no status other than for discussion purposes only.

The following changes have been made, or not made, having had input from others.

1. Unknown System 1, 2, 3, Lower, Upper and Lost Paradise have been left in the Nomad Systems Region. I've done this because when you enter each of these systems you are textually told this is "Nomad World". I personally would like them "Unassigned" because everybody is busy fighting the Nomads to reduce their stranglehold there. However .... it does say .... Nomad World .... ;)

2. Omicron Alpha and Gamma have been moved from the Crossfire Regional System to Edge Worlds on good advice from Ajay. (See post in this thread). :thumbup:

3. Tau-37 and Omicron Beta have been added to the Edge Worlds Region after being originally overlooked. Thank you Ajay. :thumbup:

4. The Corridor has been moved to Independent Worlds after being incorrectly shown in House Kusari.

5. Custodian, Nephele and Sea of Shadows have been allocated to the Independent Worlds Region after previously being Unassigned.

6, Purian Lake has been moved from Crossfire Regional Systems to Unassigned because that is what it is: difficult to assign.

7. And of course ....... the Crossfire Regional System is no more .... :suchend::walklike::tanz::sehrgut:

Well, its been fun. And that was all it was meant to be. Thanks to all who participated, particularly those who posted. :thumbsup: