Trivial Knowledge

There are 221 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by daDraga.

• the stealth bomber "used" in wwii never dropped a bomb

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Actually, it did, it also took part in Korean War and was the only biplane credited with a jet-kill.

I doubt, however, that I was correct with its designation of "stealth", it DID gave an radar echo, but not to the degree of full metal planes.
    And it wasn't entirely a bomber, original role was a trainer aircraft or a crop duster. However, its STOL capabilities, lightweight construction and simplicity made it versatile enough to play a lot of other roles.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

Edited once, last by Ajay ().

• Actually, it did, it also took part in Korean War and was the only biplane credited with a jet-kill.

I doubt, however, that I was correct with its designation of "stealth", it DID gave an radar echo, but not to the degree of full metal planes.
    And it wasn't entirely a bomber, original role was a trainer aircraft or a crop duster. However, its STOL capabilities, lightweight construction and simplicity made it versatile enough to play a lot of other roles.

I honestly doubt that this was build to be a stealth bomber or had better stealth abilities than any other aircraft of this style. But I am not an expert on this.
    Probably any aircraft build of wood has a small radar echo.

I was refering to:

which truely was build to reduce radar reflections in order to bypass the british air defence
    It did fly a few times... it crashed one time because of the engine design... kill its test pilot... but never dropped a bomb... it pretty much disappeared at the end of the war.
    Its mass production was supposed to start 1946 (bad timing).

Decades later the US military developed similar designs but it is unclear if they are based on the german prototype.
    In 2009 Northrop build a model of the Horton and found out that it was only 20% harder to detect on radar but in combination with its speed the british air defense only would have had a few minutes respond to an attack.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Can't see the picture for some reason. But I suppose it's about Horton flying wing, yeah, I have heard about that along with some other prototypes, such as vertically-launched interceptor and forward-swept wing jet.

The latter type of design was poked with a stick later on by Grumman and Sukhoi but both didn't go further their own prototypes.

Edited 4 times, last by Ajay ().

• As far back as 1937 Japanese engineers were working on a ramjet and rocket powered interceptor prototype known as the "Kayaba Katsuodori". The project never produced a working protoype, however the design specifications claimed the ramjet would produce around 1,700 lbs of thrust. It was proposed that this interceptor would be armed with 2 x 30mm Ho-301 cannons in order to combat the American B-29s over Japan, but as mentioned before, the design never got into the prototype stage, as it was cancelled in 1944 in favor of another more promising, and less unproved project.

• Basic Geiger counter detects only beta radiation. To detect alpha particles it needs a thin window made in the casing (Alpha particles can be easily stopped), and to detect gamma rays the inside of the detector casing needs a coverage of something gamma rays can knock electrons out of.

• The last battle fought on American soil was the Aleutian Islands campaign in WWII (the islands that come off Alaska and towards Russia). This is the only case in which a foreign power was successful in conquering land considered to be part of the American homeland. On June 3-4, 1942 the Japanese conducted airstrikes against the two US military bases on Dutch Harbor. On June 6th the Japanese made landfall on Kiska island, then Attu island on the 7th. The defenders were heavily outnumbered and quickly overwhelmed. The japanese then quickly established a garrison on the islands. They would hold these islands until The Americans would take them back in a bloody battle on Attu island in early April of 1943. In August, the Americans made landfall on Kiska only to find that the Japanese had completely abandoned it. Afterwards, the Americans would launch airstrikes on Japanese bases in the Kuril island chain so that the Japanese would feel the need to divert resources to defend against attacks from the pacific northwest, and thus divert some resources from the main front in the southern pacific.

• The onboard electronics of MiG-25 interceptor are based on vacuum tubes.
    It is because the plane carries a very powerful active radar that would harm the semiconductor electronics.

• In 10 minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all the world's nuclear weapons combined.

If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen! :-)

• did you know that next to the "god" particle there also is a "oh my god" particle?

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• the PZL M-15 is the world's only jet-biplane.

if u talk about the flying ones, u may be right. but there is another one, existing:

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• 1952 Stalin offered the reunification of East- and west-germany. but the bundeskanzler at that time refused this offer.

I did some further research on this because i found it interesting and here's what i found.

Yes, Stalin did offer to reunify Germany with "the rights of man and basic freedoms, including freedom of speech, press, religious persuasion, political conviction, and assembly" and free activity of democratic parties and organizations."

However, it wasn't so much West German leadership as it was a NATO decision. NATO felt that agreeing to these terms set by Stalin, they would effectively be surrendering the Cold War to the Soviet Union as a loss and Germany would have to join NATO. And i guess it wasn't a priority for them at the time. In 1955, West Germany joined NATO and the rest is History.

Not trying to argue or anything, just showing what i found.

This thread is fun

Fun Fact: RAM Timings make no significant noticeable performance impact on your PC. The difference comes in how much RAM you have and What kind of module (DDR4, DDR3 etc)