Question about guns

There are 11 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Night-Hunter.

• So, as I am trying to get better so that I will be ready to go out in the scary world of Crossfire where PvP can happen, I am trying to better understand the mechanics of the game. One thing I noticed a couple of times while reading around is suggestions about using high fire rate guns and avoiding turrets. Thing is, it also often was for someone who needed help better hitting a target.

So I guess I have several questions:

1. Are turrets useful? Should I avoid them, and if so, why?

2. Is every kind of weapon useful? i.e. are you as able to win with a particle weapon as a laser weapon, so long as you are skilled at using them?

3. Should I try to only use one kind of weapon, or is it workable or even preferable to used "combined arms", i.e. different types of weapons at once.

4. Regarding energy, is it better to have the highlest class weapon risking loss of energy, or is it better to take it down maybe a class in order to avoid energy shortage?

I am at least certain that I should keep at least 1 pulse weapon, since those just make shields seem utterly pointless. But not much else.

• 1) Turrets give you additional damage output, since there are fighters that not only mount 6 guns, but also one turret (but additional loss of energy), but are preferable against low-speed or stationary targets, also they can fire backwards. Also, turrets are the only weapon that the train can mount. Well-known Deimos VHF has a turret hardpoint along with six Class 10 guns
    2)Types or weapons are defining their damage against different shields. For example, tachyon guns are dealing less damage to Adv. Brigand. MK2 than to Adv. Champion.
    3) As long as you find out Coalition Gatlings, you will stick to them. However it is better to use 2 Coalition Gatlings and 2 W'ar-sy propulsors.
    4)Coalition Gatlings are class 10 and are taking not so much energy. You know what to do with them.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

Edited once, last by Эйджей: About turrets usage ().

• basically what ajay said, plus I would add that if u are skilled enough take down a load of nomads and pick up any guns they lose. if u use them they do not draw any power, so are quite powerful in the own way.

cheers

Ray OK

• Hi buddy,

Good to see that you're learning quickly ;) Here are my suggestions on your questions (PS: I haven't been around CF for call it 2 years, so my info might be a little bit outdated):

1) There are indeed useful turrets, but they are useful only for trains. Most of the VHF ships in Crossfire does not support the turret mounting point. Another downside of the turrets might be the fact that most of the Class 10 weapons (such as Phoenix Project Cannon, Coalition Gatling, W'ar-sy propulsors) have range of around 1.6 K, while the turrets remain with 800 meters range, causing the aim cursor to be wrong.

2) Never really tried any of these, so I can't help, sorry.

3) I think this one comes down to personal preference (unless someone could provide us calculations about the damage output for the different setups). I might be wrong though. I'm probably wrong.

4) Loss of energy doesn't really exist in Crossfire's late game. As I recently lost all of my characters and I had to (almost) start over, I went for a VHF and nomad guns setup. After that you could spend some time farming and get a Power Generator or whatever its name was. I can show you in-game.

Hope this one helps,
    Tyrael

Proud member of the Independent Operators' Consortium ever since day 1 in Crossfire. :herz:
    In-game characters: (IOC)Tyrael, (IOC)HimejiFortress

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” Sun Tzu

• Few updates to given info :
    Max range for guns is 1300 (aliens races guns)
    Most important attribute for guns: projectile speed. It is easy, you can have weapons range huge, but if are projectiles slow, you simply can't hit target which is near this gun maximum range (unless it is huge stationar target :)).
    Next important attibute is weapon fire rate: unless you are rly good in reflexes then for fast moving and avoiding targets you will like more those with fastest fire rate. But you can use this and have good use for all guns types: index.php?page=Thread&threadID=25139 (search for rapid fire video)
    Turrets can be used very well if you know how to use them, try experiment, try check how works turet view, how to turn ship while you are in turret view and try use different weapons groups. One from really interesting ships which can use more turrets is for example: Komodo Dragon

.. what prevent most of players use all guns/turrets setups is that they do not want mix weapons with different projectiles speed (aim cross works only for those with fastes pr. speed so slower ones should fire behind target ... "in theory"), but on Crossfire exist also lvl 10 guns with slower projectile speed (hint: check in Dervon system) and you can mix them easily with turrets and also 9 lvl guns. Such ships can have different use from special anti-BS ships to NPCs hunting.

Edit by
    Power: with more guns/turrets you need learn how to use your power more efficient.

• Power shortage IS a problem if you have 4 Class 10 guns on your ship like the setups said above. They missed to add that you need a "Power Generator MK V", so, MK 5, which generates extra energy for your guns, thrusters and other moves(like strafing). There are few locations where you can find them, so it's probable it takes you some time before finding them without being told they exist. These are needed if you want to use top class weapons.
    There are also other upgrades which in time, when you have enough money for such class 10 guns and Power generator, will be needed. Like an Armor Upgrade MK X which are found on every major planet, as well as a Shield upgrade (the shield upgrade item is to be used at once with a shield, they don't use the same spot), and if you prefer speed instead of armor, you have to drop the armor upgrade and use a weight reducer MK III. You can only use 1 of these 2, or the armor or the weight reducer.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Hah, looks like quite a bit to keep in mind as I move on in tech!

For what it is worth, I am looking towards a capital ship (which, btw, is there any significant difference between the battleships and the luxury liner? I'd love to pick the liner if it was just a "look how you want it to" thing.) How different does that make all of this to keep in mind?

Oh, and, does number of weapons mounted or number of missiles/nanobots/anything affect speed? I read something somewhere about equipment weighing down, but not sure what it applied to.

EDIT: AND while I am at it: if I understand correctly, larger ships need to "moor" to a base. What bases have moors? Just planets, or are there others?

Edited 2 times, last by Daverin: edit ().

• Good catch about the Moors ! Many clan system bases, major planets but NOT all planets, and tactical bases around the universe have Moors. The vanilla bases too, most of them.

There are several capital ship types, in order of size, gunboats, cruisers, destroyers, battleships, and dreadnoughts.
    There are important differences between these capital ships, destroyers are smaller, faster and deal more damage than battleships, but have way less armor (only 80k ), battleships were the king of capital ships, most armor ( 350k without counting the armor upgrades, double it for when you use Armor Upgrade X ), but now Dreadnoughts are the king of capital ships with 450k armor, similar weaponry as battleships, newer, nicer (in some cases, depending on your tastes), and have 4 Battleship torpedoes, while normal battleships have 2 torps (most of them). On smaller notes, under Destroyers, there are Gunboats and Cruisers. They have only 40k armor, and less weaponry, but most of them have Special Forward cannons great for tactical usages against battleships, one of them even has double forward cannons. These ones are also faster than destroyers, and even seem to have a bit more acceleration speed.

At weaponry, you will wonder what FLAK cannons are (of different types), their damage is crappy, they seem to have no speed by the info, and look pointless, but they ravage fighters and are originally ment as anti missile/torp projectiles, fire those at the right time and they will snap any incoming torp, and well, missiles are harder to be caught, but it still works.

But notice that the cruisers and gunboats, as well as some destroyers, already come with a default pack of weapons which are not changeable, but you won't have to worry buying turrets for them. While at major capital ships, you will have to buy the 8+ 2 (or less, depending on which capital ship you get) battleship turrets, each of them being from 9 to 10 millions. So you better get like over 300 mills before buying such big boys, else you will be trapped in a big flying brick with no guns and no way to make money... except trading, which can be a pain with how big and slow they are (compared to freighters or trains), and the part that they can only dock to Moors.

As well notice that I did not mention the Luxury Liner, that's because that ship, together with the Prison Ship (as big as the Luxury liner, you would know it from the first mission in Singleplayer) are not really counted as battle capital ships, at least not as "battleships" neither "dreadnoughts". So they are special, have 140k and 150k armor respectively, and have a pack of weapons already built in, so they come with their weapons, and you don't have to worry about spending more money (except for extra armor and such). But it is possible you will want different or better guns in the future ^^

So that is the main difference between battleships and the luxury liner.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Edited once, last by Michael: . ().

• Daverin

with all the replies that u have had, you should now have a fairly comprehensive understanding of CF weaponry and ships to take into battle. I also have gained a lot of invaluable information, and for that thank the contributers.

when u are in game, do not be afraid to ask questions, you will find, by trial and error, that many of the players are very helpful and relish passing on knowledge to new players. I have benefitted greatly and would recommend this
    mod to anyone who loves playing Freelancer. I could never go back to the vanilla game now, it seems so limited with hindsight.

anyway, enjoy your game, become involved and as you gain experience and knowledge don't forget to also pass it on to new players.

have fun

cheers

Ray OK

• Holy crap, Michael, thank you! That was as expansive an answer as I could have hoped for! Now of course, the question of what aesthetic I like best...

As Ray said, that seems to have given me most anything I could expect to need to know (at least, before getting into a fight). Now I am just in the process of finding good moneymakers, so I can get said capital ships... And I'll try to remember that people will be happy to help ingame as well. I will note that it seems that a large portion of the forum-goers is from Europe, and if this is representative of the players in game, then I may be on during less traffic, being in North America and all. It certainly seems quiet as I am playing...

I probably also should try to get into the whole social action on the forums, eh? :P

• There are, or well, were, pretty many players on the US timezone, especially at certain hours around midnight GMT (european time), so players could meet eachother. On the late afternoons for the US, it indeed is pretty empty, early morning for Europe... you only meet russians at that hour. They also tend to be in more conflicts, and damage the activity on that timezone.

But it's still good populating any time zone ^^

You can use the Lexicon to have a look at those capital ships, or you could also cheat money in singleplayer and test them out (both smaller and bigger ones) until you find your favorite ones, then go for them on the server.

"Both smaller and bigger ones" because each capital ship type has a sense in them, so just going for "the biggest" isn't always the best choice. Having a Destroyer, with a big load of weapons (bigger than a battleship) with more speed, but a lot less armor, can be a good choice for your skills, if you prefer not being a huge brick which cannot be missed by the hostiles. But in the end, going for the biggest ship is what most people do, and it works out well :D With 900 k armor (450k x 2 for the armor upgrade), it's not like you have much to be afraid of. But be careful, if you don't have a good targeting, even those pesky fighters can take you down on 1 vs 1.