2011 - A year in review

There are 13 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• A new year and a new resumé of the past one.

2011 for sure was not an easy year... but we made our way through the hard work and came up with some important achievements.
    So lets see what has been done.

One year ago I wrote the following at this thread index.php?page=Thread&threadID=19041

The plans for 2011 are relative simple.
    Releasing CF1.9
    Upgrading the Portal to an even more modern version
    Taking care of Lancersreactor
    and getting the 5th Mod of the Year nomination

releasing CF1.9 - done
    Upgrading the Portal to an even more modern version - done
    Taking care of Lancersreactor - mostly done
    and getting the 5th Mod of the Year nomination - done[/quote]

So actually we have not missed any goals. Mission accomplished.

The best Crossfire mod ever has been released.... and meanwhile the ranking of our server is on position 2 which is phantastic.
    It shows that the hard work and the often hard decisions paid off.
    And to be totally honest with you... I personally was worred about CF1.9 as the introduced changes and balancing was in some areas damn heavy... that would have had negative effects. But fortunately everything worked well... eventhough we had some technical problems with the new server hook which had to be completly rebuild by huor. But thats fine... these minor problems are nothing compared to what we have gained with the new hook.
    Even after 3 months not all the features are active... i mean... there is still much that you have not seen yet. All these changes took time to be tested and soon we are reaching the point that all of them can get activated.

With CF1.9 we also have gained out 5th mod award nomination. Five times in a row.... no other Freelancer mod was nominated that often into the TOP 100 of the MOTY.

In 2011 we have upgraded the SWAT Portal to a much more functional version. We had to drop a few less important features and gained a much better working site with many new useful features. This step prepared this community for the next few years.

Lancer's Reactor which became part of the SWAT Portal in 2010 unfortunatly did not get all necessary attention. But it also received its updates and it is meanwhile housing 2 active mod projects. Freelancer Continuum and Freelancer: Edge of Chaos.
    Lancer's Reactor is not as active as i want it to be... but with these 2 projects it might turn into an active gaming community again.

Well... this is usually the point that i release the numbers of visitors. This year I keep it short since we already had a thread in october about this topic where we reached the 6 million visitors since this site is online.
    I currently can not give you exact numbers since the web analytics seem to be down for some reason... but it takes not much to give you a halfway correct number as since october 2011 another 600.000 visitors came to SWAT.
    We clearly had more than 2 million visitors on our websites.
    I believe we make good progress here.

For 2012 much is planned.
    TLR needs to get the attention that it deserves.
    A new Crossfire version will be started.
    Various updates to the current CF version will be done.
    I intent to the community much more in the creation process of the mod and this community.
    It would be cool to see Crossfire on position 1 of the server ranking... (well there is just one step higher left)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Crysis from 2010 :)

Let's hope that 2011 will be even much better! ^^

(Besides those plans)

Same for 2012 :D

• Well gonna say thanks to all who still play the Crossfire Mod and your all enthusiasm for Freelancer and this mod.
    Gonna look forward to a new year with new challenges, some new features that gonna be activated soon.

I also will thank Hägar a lot - he seems to have very limited time and without him I wouldn't have been able to proceed with the CF - FlHook. Most of the features are his work. And they work like a charm. Thanks Hägar!
    Finally want to thank OP - as he puts more than enough time and effort in all aspects into this community. Without him keeping the things running it wouldnt be able to be here.

I wish that clans would play their roles and do not always get in trouble with each other - at least not until escalation level. Keeping things calm and play your roles is for everyone fun. So lets have another year of great fun!

Regards
    Huor

signature.png

• A great work of the team.

As a reward a screen that should be a lot of fun to all who participated in this adventure:

"

Now a new challenge: Beat the record number of players at the same time !!!
    (screenshot : Today near 2000 GMT)

'Fluctuat nec mergitur'

Edited 2 times, last by Hexplore ().

• Yep, we hit 55 players online :D

While cheering everyone, I kept an eye on server's stability. It went pretty well ^^

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Especially when they have the same issues that we had in the past days of CF 1.9 realize...

Hmm, nope we never got this issue, was already solved by OP/Huor before it got released:

- Lost ships and login issues
    - IDs and tech-compatibilty

The tech compatibilty is a different topic than the already mounted coal torps or who didn't listen to OP(there were situations) and got their capital ships bugged, but fixable by rebuying.

I'm still wondered of why Discovery ppl and me had (nearly at once and without knowing about eachother) more or less the same idea about player battlestations aka stations and warp jump(even I haven't tested if that's the same thing). But well, there it's already in use(still bugged), and here it got denied as a never-to-do-thing(but maybe a "not soon"), neither when I offered my help on building my own system/ideas as I though about which could fit counting the Freelancer engine's limitations.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Thank to OP and all who realized so nice things! Keep it up :thumbup:
    and about disco, it had A LOT more troubles than Crossfire lol, their server was crashing every 5min, and CTDs too :D
    I think Crossfire had more stability and all...
    you wanna become the first FL server? Well long way to that, 50 players are not enough, I'll buy more 50 PCs and run more 50 CFs with more 50 players :diablo::diablo:

j/k

and run more 50 CFs with more 50 players :diablo: :diablo:

lol, I can only go up to 3 players at once >_> But I never did it.