Odd forum name

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Riebens.

• I was just wondering why this section of the forum is titled "Cares, penuries, applications"? I was wondering if it was something that was possibly lost in translation somewhere. As far as I can tell from the description this is a forum for Questions & Suggestions <--- new title right there!

As it is now the title sort of reads: lots of caring (cares), a lot of extreme poverty (penuries) and applications (which has dual meanings in english). It's not a big deal I guess, just always had me confused.

Rhaps - Bullpup MkIII - Freelance Trader/Explorer
    Snix - Grinder ZX8 - Freelance Fighter
    The Indefatigable - Police Dreadnought Class Battleship

• cares.... taking care of something
    penuries... the lack of something... wanting something
    applications... applying for something

.... pretty much describes needs
    its called this way because ive seen it somewhere else it saw it fit

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Heh, ok. I can see where you are coming from there but I assure you it is still fairly vague to English speakers such as myself. I don't think I've ever seen "cares" used in that fashion and I've never seen penury or its plural form used to describe anything other than poverty. I think you could benefit from renaming the forum something less obscure. I especially emphasise clarity following the problems you reported with people posting the wrong things in the wrong forums.

It's your show though and just my 2 cents.

• I have to agree with Rhaps here. I never really knew how this sub-forum was meant to be used.

SMG_myric, SMG_RDaneel, SMG_MULTIVAC

Interested in joining SMG? PM me

Those people who think they know everything
    are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

• make a better suggestion

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Cares => Worries or Concerns
    Penury => Woes or Emergencies
    Applications => Requests

Eventually this? Guess its meant that if there is something you have a question with or if there is something you feel the urge to change something or want to have something changed then use this board. Of course it only for Crossfire related stuff - as its within this sub forum.

signature.png

• Ok, I concede that cares can indeed relate to worries or concerns. Whithout a care in the word, you lack cares, you are without cares etc. Penury is indeed the lack of something and more often than not used to describe an extreme lack of material wealth (poverty) and applications can be requests. Applications can also relate to software so some ambiguity there, but I digress. Point is, it does make sense. Problem is, it's a very roundabout way of expressing it. Don't get me wrong I'm not against clever wordplay and I've been accused of being verbose a few times, but I think when it comes to the practical application of the English language plain English is the best bet.

So, if OP is open to suggestions I'll list a few and ask anyone else with ideas to please contribute.

Questions & Suggestions
    Help & Suggestions
    Help & Ideas
    Assistance & Suggestions
    Problems & Proposals

Mix and match there, substitute '&' for 'or' if you like. I think these titles all neatly sum up what I understand this forum to be about.

• thanks for the input... its much welcome
    that btw. was lacking in this community before.... as you can see the old name was used for quiet a while (6-7 years) and nobody cared to ask or make suggestions

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I LIKE the old name .... I did research what it meant , and I LIKE it ...

for a non-english person, it describes so precisely, and it also has that 'magic' ring to it ...

made up words and phrases are so much more interesting ... and lends character...

Kind regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 8.1 X64, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz, 16GB 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GXT 460