ECM Jammer/ECM Active Probe/Cloaking/De-cloak Probe?

There are 11 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• Alright with the coming advent of cloaking, I've come up with some ideas to help prevent abuse of this technology, in spite of OP putting in a "safeguard" of using energy crystals to limit it's usefulness.

This is merely a suggestion and some ideas to toss around, so take it for what you will. I dunno exactly if they are implementable in the FL engine, aside from cloaking.

Take note, all of these devices can be limited as the cloak in that it's power source will be fueled also by energy crystals.

ECM JAMMER MODULE - This electronic countermeasures suite allows a ship while still visible to the naked eye on screen, to become invisible to all NORMAL scanners with sufficent energy crystal fuel for as long as it lasts.

ECM ACTIVE PROBE - This electronic countermeasures suite allows a ship to detect any ship regardless if they are using a ECM JAMMER MODULE, for as long as the ship's energy crystal fuel lasts.

CLOAKING MODULE - This electronic countermeasures suite allows a ship while still visible on scanners, become impossible to see with the naked eye on screen, for as long as the ship's energy crystal fuel lasts.

DE-CLOAK PROBE - This electronic countermeasures suite allows a ship to see any cloaked ship for as long as the ship's energy crystal fuel lasts.

Hopefully these electronics suites can all be "stacked" and used simultaneously however, they will expend energy crystal fuel rapidly when done so as each module consumes a certain rate of energy crystals.

So is it possible?

Sound like an idea?

Throw it in the trash can Ryleous? *facepalm*

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. 8)

• A bit problematic...

I think it's enough that you have to go aaaaaallll arround Inner Core to get some crystals... for having some seconds or minutes of cloaking when it's most needed.

Just imagine a de-cloaker ecm thing.... I cloak to run and he instantly decloaks me wtf, it will have no use.

Even it's a nice idea... hopefully not everyone would have crystals on their fighters :D That would help.

Oh, it would really help a lot if the crystals didn't took 1 cargo slot.... as you can only have 70-80-100 of them in a fighter.... and you can't rlly getwith a soulforge arround IC :D Well, you can, but hardly :P

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• What if the ECM hardware is rather expensive or difficult to find? That way, not everyone will get it, at least initially. Think of it as a game of rock/paper/scissors.

If you are running a cloak module and a ecm jammer at the same time, they wont' know you're coming, period. Even then, if they are running a de-cloaker probe, they still won't find you until you get into visual range, of which will be difficult since they cannot use the scanner to locate and lock-in your exact position.

• Hmm, it is an idea....
    while whatever the hostile have, they couldn't rlly can target me with missiles or guns :D maybe like a hitbox dissapearance....

But counting the richness of everyone atm..... heh

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• ECM jammers are a nice idea though. often they are used instead to jam a missiles targeting computer making them less likely to hit. maybe that could be implemented instead?

• Actually we have those already Altair, the existing counter measures dropper acts kinda more like a flare, but it does the same thing.

The ECM JAMMER will jam all scanners to where you CANNOT pick them up on scanner what so ever, but you could still get a visual of them when they come into range. Therefore, if you can't get target acquisition with your crossairs and lock onto a target, you cannot get a missile lock period, you'd have to use "iron sights" (i.e. your crossairs) for both your guns AND missiles to hit a ECM jamming target. Basically all missiles, torps and CDs would have to be "dumb fired" and therefore have no tracking ability. This means missile/torp/CD weapons become rather useless, it would also be a great deterrent against missile "spammers".

• dunno - i like the ideas eventhough i have no idea how to realize it

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• D0h! Well, thanks for considering the ideas at least OP... By the way here are some more "stipulations" with the new ECM suites:

When in radioactive zones or in nebula, they will interfere with and therefore disable the ECM suites while in those locations. Just like in most sci-fi movies (Star Trek) anytime they got near a nebula, their sensors were worthless and the Klingon's cloaking were worthless.

• You want ECM`s? Go play EVE...

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

Being a Cynic isn't that bad. Either I'm right or I am pleasantly surprised.

My Homepage

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature
    (" )_(" ) to help him multiply, because that's what bunnies do.

• It is interesting, although I already see the headackes coming to choose which one(s) you'd mount on your ship!
    (assuming they'd fit into the "countermeasure" slot(s))
    It looks complex so I figure you must have thought this idea through for a while!

- Rear-Admiral Elodie Vox -

-- -- Visit Us!

• Hmm, maybe it would be better to have some sort of spreadfire weapon that disrupts cloaks instead of like a jamming device. Also, how exactly does the cloaking device work? Because I know that the nomad ships and the first Osiris couldn't be detected and didn't need a sensor jamming device.

• better leave teh cloaking as it is for now....

we have a large list of stuff to do atm, and more effective ones, liek factories, server stuff, ship that improves with lvl, SERVER POPULATION.... etc ^^

Just seeing my ship cloaking would highly motivate me :D Even maybe I'm not a good example for this... as I'm anyways motivated 8o lol