Running an own CF server?

There are 48 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• well OP would have to get testimonials from as many people as possible, make up a business plan, work on assests and expenses, he would also have to come up with a budgeting plan for the bank to see... to determine if a business loan/grant is the bet optiion.. would not be worth it unless you know for sure that this is possible and would benefit and have a good budget worked out!!!

May the shwartz be with you!
    :D

• Yeah, well, as soon as many different sources of intellectual property are involved, it gets messy and essentially not worthwhile pursuing. But I believe that there is a possible way out of this in this case here: If you only license the engine (which is very expencive to code otherwise), you could create your own game inventing your own intellectual property. It would mean throwing away all models, sounds and whatever else artwork there was in the game and replacing them with such that you have clear control of. But if I understand correctly, if you filter it that way, you'd still end up with a sizable amount of models, textures and sounds that would enable you to fill the gaps and sell an entirely own game. Licensing pure engines is something much, much easier than Licensing IPs. Also this wouldn't touch Microsofts current contracts with other publishers at all. Perhaps you could manage to pull up a deal with Microsoft allowing you to pay them a portion of what you get from selling the game. This way there's no risk in it for you, other than wasting lots of time. And perhaps some members of the community would be willing to give you some of their models for free. I'd certainly offer to give you some AI stuff for free (talk about dynamic economy, or NPS communication with the player and such stuff) or some more for a very modest involvement in the above-mentioned earnings, if it ever comes to such things.

• the community for freelancer is actually considerably large..
    this would be pointless because the freelancer community might be large, but not large enough to even bother pouring money into something so risky... especially with how big microsoft is... they would frown upon the creator because they would technically be stealing the idea!!! and that would be BAD

im pretty much done my Business Management/E-commerce Management course and what you are suggesting would actually be theft since the idea came from a game that has already been sold and not even supported anymore!!!

May the shwartz be with you!
    :D

• time consuming and i dont have time

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Have there ever been any talks with some publisher to try to make a small company, license the engine officially from Microsoft and release it as a budget title on gamersgate or impulse, for example?

There have been talks about creating a small company to approach Microsoft (Uberlancer), but they suffered from a lack of knowledgeable and rational leadership. The stated goal was to ask Microsoft to release the source code (which is a pointless exercise).

To my knowledge, no organized group of Freelancer enthusiasts has approached Microsoft with the kind of licensing plan that you suggest. And, yes, a licensing plan has a much better chance of success than asking Microsoft to simply give up the source!

There are some teams of developers who would be well suited to a project such as your suggestion. If you really want to try to stir something up, the largest concentration of Freelancer modders is at the-Starport.net. As you know, there is a decent team at Discovery. Also there is another small group at eoa.seriouszone.com. You should know that there are some strong and differing opinions among the various modders... past attempts to organize the entire community have failed due to those differences.

If I were going to bet on a team it would have to be the Shattered World:War Torn team. They are a group of young guys (some still students) who are enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and talented. They have also demonstrated that they work well together, which is no small part of their magic. When they finish their studies, they would be excellent candidates to draw into a startup with an intelligent business plan such as yours. Why85 is one of the most talented graphic artists in the community, while other team members read like a Who's Who of experienced modders: Roo Avery, Forsaken, FriendlyFire, CheeseOnToast (and maybe FoxUnit1?). They hang out on the Starport if you want to talk with them.

And don't forget the one-man game-maker-in-a-box, OPR8R.

The most important missing element is the angel financier... where do you get that 100k that you mentioned, in order to get it started?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• ppl at Starport cant agree on how shit smells
    next that i wouldnt trust ppl which have done so many mistakes and causes so much damage to the FL community because of their arrogance
    sorry i simply dont trust ppl which dont tell the truth or try their best to hide it... i clearly could point out that the current TSP leaders where the ones which denied that the GLS would shut down in 2007 and they were the ones which prevent preparations for this case... result was that many players left the FL community at the end of 2007 and beginning 2008 because no servers were available anymore.
    This is just one of many examples of what they have done wrong when they clearly had the information to do a right decision.

there are only a very few modders which i would consider good for such a job
    lancer solurus
    gibbon
    forsaken
    igiss (maybe)
    but the most others are re-inventing the wheel over and over again

I also wouldnt be a good choice, eventhough i am not that bad at modding, texturing, modeling, scripting... actually everything including organizing teams... but i am simply not able to hide what im thinking. -> in my job i ask my customers "do you want me to be nice or do you want me to be honest?". It appears that many ppl of the FL community (outside SWAT) can not deal with that. So i wouldnt be part of such a team.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Given how many Freelancer communities there are still, it really makes me wonder why the hell no one is doing a Freelancer 2

*cough Cough*
    There has been a Freelancer 2 project that was being developed for the Xbox360 but those microsoft bastards cancelled it for some reason. ?(

sigsuy.png
    [headline][/headline]
    Need to repair a battleship in Inner Core? Contact me for free repairs!

Crossfire Film Union --> CrossfireFilmUnion

My YouTube --> VishnuCF

• Yes, cancelled it because there weren't enough signatures to make it real (signatures of that rich people who give the $$$ for advertisement and make it be sold everywhere on the world).

Freelancer 1, this one, had the same problem in 1997 or so... and was released in 2004.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• it was actually released in january 2003 (german version in march 2003)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• in my job i ask my customers "do you want me to be nice or do you want me to be honest?". It appears that many ppl of the FL community (outside SWAT) can not deal with that.

Truer words have not been spoken. I'm the same way OP, I work with civil engineers at my day job and they don't bullshyte people, as there is FARRRRR too much taxpayer's money and legal ramifications at stake. They are often straight to the point, paint a pretty brutally honest picture for folks and don't kiss their a$$e$.

• I work with civil engineers at my day job and they don't bullshyte people, as there is FARRRRR too much taxpayer's money and legal ramifications at stake. They are often straight to the point, paint a pretty brutally honest picture for folks and don't kiss their a$$e$.

Civil engineers have more at stake than money and legal risks if they don't do things the right way. During my first month of undergrad school they showed us the video of the first Tacoma Narrows Bridge:

[video]

[/video]

It was intended as a reminder that mistakes made by engineers can have devastating consequences. In other words: Don't screw up!

(For those who do not know the story, the first Tacoma Narrows Bridge became a low-frequency "whistle" in the wind. Unfortunately, the bridge whistled at it's own resonance frequency, which caused it to develop undamped harmonic motion (the waves) which quickly led to its collapse. The effect is similar to a crystal glass shattering at very high frequency. It was a lesson to civil engineers about the importance of thinking of every possible condition ahead of time. Newer bridges are carefully designed so that they do not whistle at frequencies anywhere near their resonant frequencies.)

@OP: Yeah, that is a good example of some of my points! Especially the part about finding a team that can work together.

It's nice to see that we agree about Forsaken (senior member of the Shattered Worlds:War Torn team that I mentioned).

:)

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• yeah - i know his skills as he keeps asking me from time to time when he has probs
    gibbon is a perfectionalist with a fairly good knowledge in almost all areas of modding except sur creation
    igiss for sure is a good system designer eventhough he causes a terrible chaos when he works on all kinds of utf files
    and LS has good knowledge about render manager and the game structure, was interesting on investigating some stuff with him

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• yeah - i know his skills as he keeps asking me from time to time when he has probs
    gibbon is a perfectionalist with a fairly good knowledge in almost all areas of modding except sur creation
    igiss for sure is a good system designer eventhough he causes a terrible chaos when he works on all kinds of utf files
    and LS has good knowledge about render manager and the game structure, was interesting on investigating some stuff with him

Right, I mentioned Igiss, as well (Discovery).

All of the modders on your list are strong (obviously). I helped LancerSolurus publish his SUR Builder, which is a brilliant tool (I fixed a couple of bugs and improved the user interface). It creates working SURs in a few minutes, which is very helpful for many modders. It will never replace hand-crafted SURs, of course, but it is a convenient tool nevertheless. As you say, he is an extremely knowledgeable (and interesting) guy.

Thinking about the project reminds me that there is a particularly outspoken butt-head on TSP who made the job unpleasant... he is well-known because he has answered a lot of posts over many years, but his quality of advice is erratic at best, and often not very well thought-out (which is a nice way of saying that it is somewhere between stupid and ignorant ;) ). I wound up ignoring him in the long run, and he just kept ranting (heavy sigh).

• :offtopic:
    Wait, that video is real ?? lol nice

how they could finish building it that way ! or it started 'whistling' alone months later ? hmmm

surprising :D

what kind of asphalt and stuff they used that it wasn't cracking.... until collapse.

ON Topic:

Crossfire already arrives to the limits of Freelancer's engine...
    but we need few upgrades in some points, like advertisement.....

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Wait, that video is real ?? lol nice

how they could finish building it that way ! or it started 'whistling' alone months later ? hmmm

surprising :D

Yes, it is real. The bridge was built in 1940. At the time, the Tacoma Narrows bridge was the third-largest bridge in the world at nearly two km (more than a mile) in length. The motion was noticed when the bridge opened, and attempts to fix the motion failed. It finally collapsed when the wind increased to 64kph (40mph).

You can read about it here: Tacoma Narrows Bridge (version 1.0, 1940)

The whistling effect was sub-sonic. The wave motion appears to be less than one hertz (one cycle per second), which is well below normal audible range (about 20 hertz). Nevertheless, the effect was obviously strong enough to destroy the bridge.

All materials have some amount of elasticity. The bridge was so long that small flexes added up to large movement across the length of the bridge. There were probably visible cracks before the bridge collapsed... they knew that there was a problem, but they did not realize how just how large the problem could become.

It has become a classic lesson for civil engineers. I am an electrical engineer, but they showed the movie to all engineering students as a lesson in the importance of not doing half-assed work!

• Probably the engineers who developed where only part of the fault. I guess and as usual as that is - the project managers and money giver have increased the pressure on the engineers. Higher, bigger, just more in less time -> result: And exemplary Tacoma Narrows Bridge :D
    And as you are an engineer yourself - you probably know about that fact ;D Unless you are working for science (governmental or not).

So back to the initial request - running a CF server for your own would probably result in a crash like it can be seen in this bridge example :D So I hope i could hit the association^^

signature.png

• Probably the engineers who developed where only part of the fault. I guess and as usual as that is - the project managers and money giver have increased the pressure on the engineers. Higher, bigger, just more in less time -> result: And exemplary Tacoma Narrows Bridge :D
    And as you are an engineer yourself - you probably know about that fact ;D Unless you are working for science (governmental or not).

So back to the initial request - running a CF server for your own would probably result in a crash like it can be seen in this bridge example :D So I hope i could hit the association^^

Very true. In 1940 Igor Sikorsky was still experimenting with his prototype helicopter, cars were unreliable, and nobody even dreamed of Facebook. To attempt to build a 2 km long bridge over water at that time seems like an enormous undertaking.

As for running a local Crossfire server, I do not think it would be all that difficult to achieve, but I suspect that OP would not want us to discuss the instructions here!

• The instructions ? Not that hard ?

He has problems with that himself ! And he made server stability stuff even this month ;)

Not ocunting you need a powerful PC with a good connection, and about 10 stability programs started, including updaters, security... etc.

People should first learn to install this mod correctly, and play it correctly , then play with it's programs ;)

• The instructions ? Not that hard ?

He has problems with that himself !

Well, I meant, "not that hard for a normal person". ;)

OP always sets the bar a little higher than normal. That is the yin and yang of Crossfire -- it is awesome, but almost all of its problems come from trying to do things that are not easy to do.

(Shrug)... I have had more fun playing Crossfire than any other mod. In the end, I suppose that is the only thing that really matters.

Edited once, last by Bullwinkle ().