How to reduce Crossfire Freelancer Difficulty

There are 45 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lawmac1.

• I downloaded the mod last week, started the campaign. Adored the changes and got addicted. As I progressed, I initially liked the NPC's being as tough as they were, but after a long day of work and time to relax, I do not want to spend what little time I have killing a squadron of NPC's who almost never die. Like any other game, you have your hardcore and soft core gamers, you want to attract both, I nearly just stopped playing the campaign due to this frustration, but mustered enough willpower to hunt through the forums to find a way to enjoy the mod. Thank you Sig for making the enquiry and thank you to the fella pointing out where the difficulty can be changed.

Maybe consider a in-game built option to adjust single player difficulty.

• I have to agree... I joined this forum today just cause I found the crossfire mod today. I downloaded it and fell in love with the graphical changes. Great work indeed!

But, I've been on the first tiny piece of the game, my first freelance mission for an hour, hammering away at one tiny ship and cant even touch the hull. Sheilds regen every time. I love the looks, but the game play is just not fathomable. I dont see how after an hour of shooting one ship and having their shields regen evry time will ever let me advance in gameplay... I'm not a bad shot either....

• you should get better guns then

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Get 2 guns for shield damage and the rest for hull damage. Make sure that those guns doesn't take too much energy. (For making it easier , buy guns against shield damage who has 100+ and against hull damage a little under 100 with much less energy , if you're not too ahead with the missions). You gotta be careful of not wasting too much energy , because it would make it harder for you. So, choose your guns well.

I don't know which mission you are on to , but... with every mission ahead, upgrade your equipment well, with shield and hull damage weapons. As you gotta make a little balance between the energy and the strenght of each gun.
    ( And by the way , + 2 missiles more are always nice though , it would even make it much easier for you ). And if you sell the captured pods on a prison , it will gain you a big advantage through the gameplay.

• When you start the SP game, you have enough credits to buy better weps... :P

Don't just go with 2 justice mk 1 to kill npcs lol

It's like taking a wep with no damage, and saying "hey I can't do anything" when others 1 hit kill those NPCs :D

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I havent played in years...

Can you tell me where I could go right off the bat to upgrade these guns? Where can I go that isn't locked to do some damage? If I could find where to dock to spend this cash wisely on some weapons, them I'm going to really love this mod!

• easiest way is to have a better weapon from the houses which have them mounted on your ship, so it´s easy to survive and get some lower leveld NPC Life Pods to sell in the Prisions. For example, mount Rheinland weapons for hostile Ships in Liberty will make the start much easier - if you realy wanna have an easy start...

Click the image above to visit us.

• Well, going by Custodian in New York, to the systems arround X3043, like arena or nephele which has all vanilla guns, even the cheap ones at 115 $ which you can get at the last missions :D

Then you come back with a better setup ^^ There are low lvl guns too, for your starflier :P

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I had a really tough time trying to figure out the beginning of this MOD. Enemy shields regen faster than I could take them down. I resorted to trade......discovered better ships, better guns. In time with skill and a good business sense I have managed to become pretty good and rich on the SP game. After completing the SP story line I have been trying my luck on the MP. I am addicted.

Skill and determination will be the most helpful way of surviving the game

• I know this is an old thread but I came across it and I wanted to point out that the mentioned .ini file in the last page is not a mod file, it is part of the shipped game. You don't need anyone's permission to edit that. It's actually closer to being illegal for claiming ownership of that file and forbidding the making of changes to it.

• permitted modding is not illegal and that file for sure is not the original one

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• actually they didnt share any attitude thats why they released a half finished and pretty bugged game

most of all server crashes in the past 8 years happened because ppl have modified their client versions and either messed up something on purpose or by accident
    either play a mod as it is released or dont play it... but for gods sake leave the editing to the people that know what they are doing
    the mod was written the way it is for a damn good reason

on a side note:
    certain modders asked for permission if they are allowed to create their work based on the original game and gave proper credits
    ... not everyone is doing that

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• When you start the SP game, you have enough credits to buy better weps... :P

Don't just go with 2 justice mk 1 to kill npcs lol

It's like taking a wep with no damage, and saying "hey I can't do anything" when others 1 hit kill those NPCs :D

It can be done but takes a hell of a lot of time all good fun though :thumbsup:

• It doesn't really take so much time if you hurry :D
    But the time you spend in achieving it is the time in which you have fun, don't spoil by skipping it with cheats and such.

• My best advice to all new CF singleplayers/multiplayers going solo is this:

If you want to earn cash the easy way through trading, buy a Rhino and start running good paying routes in New York and surrounding systems, the starting amount of cash should get you sufficient armament and enough capital to start making short range trade runs. Later you can venture out to other systems, get a better cargo ship and expand your trade routes. Take advantage of some of the maps I have to find the fastest and (hopefully) best paying routes! Visiting many bases is the best way to find the best routes, always!

If you want to earn cash the HARD WAY through bounties, missions and so forth, you'll want to head directly to Battleship Missouri in the New York system and buy a Defender. Next, head to Detroit Munitions and get some good shield busters, preferably two of them.(keep them on your lower lvl gun slots, you'll see why in a second) NOW, head to the Bering system just past the Texas system to the Freeport there.(watch your 6, the Unioners are pretty ruthless and very tough at your current level) MAX out your Defender with the thruster, shields, mines, CMs and weapons you find there, try to keep your shield busters on your lower level gun slots while the heavy Zoner guns go in the lvl 5 slots. Next, head back to Texas and fly to either of the prisons there to either take missions collecting pods from Liberty Rogues, Xenos and selling them back to the prisons for big money. In no time you'll have enough cash to upgrade and start heading towards Rheinland, where your next destination will be the prison station in Hamburg.(there's a jumphole in the junkfield in NW of the New Berlin system that connects straight to it, but it also has major pirate activity surrounding it) Nearby in the Frankfurt system and the nearby Sigma-13 system are two systems that have bases with nice high level equipment upgrades and in Sigma-13 the GMG can sell perhaps some of the best lvl 9 guns, Skyblast Bs. At that point you should be pretty far along and can survive most NPCs. If not, you're close to X-3043 at that point where you can find even better weapons and gear, eventually you'll want to fly to Sol and then the Altair sector for better ships and weapons.

Hope this helps!

• No, no, for easy money, nearly instant, go loot the wrecks in Bad Lands, there are images of their location even on google as they're since vanilla. You will need several trips, and the Cardmine is sold very well on Manhattan :)

• No, no, for easy money, nearly instant, go loot the wrecks in Bad Lands, there are images of their location even on google as they're since vanilla. You will need several trips, and the Cardmine is sold very well on Manhattan :)

Uhhhh Micheal... While that's good for one short but very profitable(and risky haha) run, it won't give them the many more millions they will need to advance further into the game to get the max equipment. There are shortcuts as you've given, but ultimately it's going to require some "grinding" at either missions or trading at some point to get the millions one will require.

There is also the aspect of you needing a powerful enough ship, weapons and equipment to get past the NPCs where such wrecks are found as well...