Error Activating Crossfire Mod

There are 66 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon (SA_Forlon).

• Hi all!

Im having trouble installing/activating Crossfire 1.81
    First I'll tell you what I've done:
    - Installed a fresh Freelancer.
    - Installed Freelancer Mod Manager 1.31
    - Installed Mod Crossfire 1.81 Client

When I start Freelancer Mod Manager, the Crossfire Mod is displayed perfectly.
    Than I mark it and click "Activate Mod"

.... ->

"1918 files restored and 0 directories deleted
    Error: problem activating 'Crossfire Mod 1.81 Client Edition'
    Error: SHCopyFile failed ('C:\Program Files\Freelancer Mod Manager\mods\Crossfire1.81\EXE\Freelancer.exe' to 'C:\Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe')
    "

gets displayed an I have to restore.
    Can someone help me please!
    Thanx

• please follow "Installation Instructions" in the CF Guide (Click Me)

additionally do everything with admin rights and make sure that read only attributes are removed from any file and directory in the FL path...

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• Thanx for the tip!
    The problem seems to be the user rights.
    The Folder has write protection and Im as Windows 7 user have no permission to change that.
    I could cry, but everytime I change the permissions (including subfolders and so on) its protected again when I check the permissions afterwards.
    So, he doesnt seem to accept or remember it.
    I tried to log into windows 7 as admin, but I couldnt do it.
    Is there any oher possibility? Icant find a way to change the rights as admin...
    Thanx a lot!

• u could try "run as" option, instead of logging in as admin?

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• greetings and hi there! im new here :) and it seems i got the same problem with 1.81 version. i have windows 7 64x. i followed every instruction to the latter, except this one:

"make sure that read only attributes are removed from any file and
    directory in the FL path". i dont quite understand what i must do or delete exactly ?(

this is driving me crazy :verrueckt: with each failure i came closer and closer to going in the bios and overclocking my cpu until it burns :cursing:
    so. an experts help will be vastly appreciated :thumbsup:

BTW why the emoticons i choose are getting replaced with other similar??

• It's jsut few of them (the smilies), and dunno why yet.

"make sure that read only attributes are removed from any file and
    directory in the FL path". i dont quite understand what i must do or delete exactly ?( "

Means, if you had freelancer instaleld before, with or without any other mod, there usually are some files with "Read only" attribute... right click on a file, click properties and you'll see a small box which says "Read only ", which sould be deactivated ,but it doesn't matter if you cleared the installation fodler of any other mod's files, than a fresh FL install.

With windows vista, 7 and theese versions, by right cliking and cliking "Run As" option, selecting admin, will do it. Also if you have an antivirus like McAfee or Norton or such, some AV bring some problems with 3-4 files including FL.exe putting them as "Possible trojan or whatever", and more aggressive AV deletes them, so just be sure you have Freelancer and the mod as exception, or simply deactivate the av for a moment. The mod is complex, and the anti hack/cheat system seems to have few conflicts with SOME of the AV. Ofc there's no real trojan ^^

Have fun

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• ok ive shut down the antivirus i got, i have reinstalled everything(FLMM 1.31, FL, and crossfire) as administrator.

-now im opening mod manager as admin.
    -i choose crossfire mod 1.81 client edition and i press "activate"
    -im setting up and press "ok"
    -it loads up aaaaaand......................

Error: problem activating 'Crossfire mod 1.81 Client Edition'
    look in the log for more details

do you wish to restore backups? (strongly recommended)

courses :pinch:

where in god's name is that blasted log anyways?! :sos:

• just make sure that the entire FL directory inluding subdirectories are not write protected

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• You have a real FL ? lol... I mean, there possibly are cracked versions which don't work...

umm, well... is the mod file correctly unpacked ? I mean, at the right directory under FLMM.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• well, i done everything correctly and yes i got it downloaded from pirate bay though i never had any problems with other mods. anyways i will try 1.7(since im not into multiplayer as match im into the SP campaign)

• There's a multiplayer storyline and campaign, you knew ? :P

Also there's stuff you'll never know in SP.... like some locations, systems or wrecks with special stuff.

• ok i have installed 1.70 with the patch. it has also failed! when i press "launch crossfire single player" it gives me the "stopped working" messenge. its a sad day ;( run out of ideas and possible solutions.

• currently its a good day - sorry i am still in celebration feeling (look to the World Cup thread :))

Ok I dont have a current state of your installation - but as far as i read here you got some errors during the installtion. If they are still present - you can be sure that CF wont run properly. So we have to find a reason where your errors come from.
    So lets run through some steps to help you.

1st: Are there any errors through your activation process? (Erros are logged in the report view - the big message box at the bottom of FLMM tool).
    2nd: If there are any errors - could you please post them here.
    3rd: Have you ensured to install everything as admin, removed the read-only flag (folder settings, make files writable).
    4th: Please ensure that you deactivate your Antivirus. It may happen that "Trojans" are found. But please trust the big number of members here who could assure you that its no Trojan. Its a security measure in place.

I personally think that there are some access problems, either missing admin rights or read-only flag attributes of your freelancer installtion. Finally please ensure that you followed the installtion instruction step by step. Although if they seems to be complicated and you better ways. We have worked this procedure out to be working in normal conditions and under normal requirements.

Dont give up man. Its normally not as hard to get it installed.

signature.png

• CF1.7 does not work online anymore

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• here is the error which prevents me from activation.

Error: problem activating 'Crossfire Mod 1.81 Client Edition'
    Error: SHCopyFile failed ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Freelancer Mod Manager\mods\Crossfire1.81\EXE\Freelancer.exe' to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe')

the one who made the thread has the same problem as mine.

• Did you reboot after uninstalling FL? It sometimes asks for that so you should do it.
    I never was able to DEactivate the mod properly hence reactivating also didn't work. I had to reinstall FL for every activation of CF. So I made a copy of the original folder and don't have to reinstall every time.

If you tried everything they told you here and it still doesn't work, how about just buying the game? It cost almost nothing...

24/7 SWAT Crossfire Server

Reondryt (Mercenary)
    Reonadan (Trader)

• Buying the game? Buying Crossfire? Or do you mean buying freelancer?

I also have this problem.
    But I changed all of the freelancer related file to NOT be read only buit the same thing comes up. I think I've been trying to work this out for 4 months now, Please don't make it 5.

Edited once, last by Fuffud ().

• Just remember.
    When u are uninstalling FL, check Complete Uninstall instead of reinstall
    Be sure to check the box that says delete save games too?

Yes, savegames too unless they are from a previous Crossfire 1.8 saves... savegames from original FL or any other mod will make you crash to screen before you see the main Menu.

So I made a copy of the original folder and don't have to reinstall every time.

It's the way, well done ^^ After uninstalling FL correctly with savegames, make a clean fresh install, copy that folder 2 times(for safety) then make your CF activation tryes using the FLMM, if an install fails, delete that folder, and put a copy with the normal "Freelancer" name... always keep 1 or 2 safety copyes of fresh FL ^^

Buying the game? Buying Crossfire? Or do you mean buying freelancer?

I also have this problem.
    But I changed all of the freelancer related file to NOT be read only buit the same thing comes up. I think I've been trying to work this out for 4 months now, Please don't make it 5.

About buying, he meant teh original Freelancer, cracked versions can have problems... also listen the hint told above about copies of fresh installs of FL, as after you try to activate CF on an install once,it won't work again on the same installation(depending on the problem you had) so you have to make fresh installs, or simply delete the bugged FL isntall renaming a "Copy of Freelacner" folder as "Freelancer". And try better, it's recomendable to deactivate the advanced shaders or something like that in the CF activation table...