CROSSFIRE 'n SWAT FUTURE an open letter

There are 140 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SA_ARROW.

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    there wont be a cf1.9 and there wont be any patches

yes this is it
    ive announced what would happen if the members of this community wont do their part and now thats the result
    i did my part and i finished what i wanted to finish.... so yes thats it

Dear OP,

when I read the statements above I was buffed, stunned, SHOCKED !...........And I still fail to really understand your decision.

I came to SWAT - about a year ago - for anything but digging into Crossfire, even if I played CF 1.7 years ago - yeah on SP. But I was caught by the progress CF 1.8 had made and I followed it by an occasional look. I started looking more frequently, when last autumn all the hassle about lacking support to You, SWAT and the mod itself started.
    Silently,
    since I didn't feel competent enough to contribute something more countable beside cheer-ups.
    When you threatened everybody with the possibility of NO RELEASE AT ALL, I looked almost daily and when You finally (who- or whatever FORTUNATLY convinced You to do so) released CF 1.80, I downloaded it ASAP. Just in case you might change your mind and scrap it, so that I would have a copy of it on my harddrive for safe.

I felt a strong resemblance to the release of the original Freelancer: years of development, an eager awaiting, pressing community, in the end rushed into release, premature, in what was planned for it, in what the developer wanted to achieve, leaving him kind of frustrated.

CF 1.80 was ALSO premature. CF 1.81 came and several updates via launcher and still there seems work to be done for Crossfire 1.81, some minor (like missplaced hardpoints), some eventually bigger, most likely only You know of, OP.

Ppl started to play, report bugs, bigger-smaller-sometimes even no-bugs, feedback came in, they participate. And the community started to take action:

- Michaels continuing work on the toolbar,
    - the making of the new maps by Ryleous Arkane an the SILVER ARROWS - and Michael's map ofc
    - the Wiki, that begins to be filled by content, slowly atm, but taking on

There're also new ppl around, trying to contribute, at least giving their opinions and views as an input.
    Hellraiser for example: young, eager, sometimes perhaps too eager, but definetly willingly to contribute. Might need a helping hand to be guided, what he's asking for.
    Myself another example: not interested in FL at all when I came here, but being talked by You and all the other great ppl here to start playing EVEN ON A SERVER, unthinkable for me before. Now I am staff member for the Wiki.

From my point of view the CROSSFIRE community has been more active in the last two months than the whole last year.

If You refer to the SWAT community, OP, I have to agree.....................There seems to be almost none existing.

When SWAT portal was created, I think You intended somehting to cover perhaps not all but at least the better part of all spacesims around with informations, tools and mods, if available - kinda one-stop for everybody interested in spacesim gaming.
    Not only that, maybe you thought of a "modding portal", where modders and would/could-be modders find a place to discuss, get help, make friends and DO MODDING together with others, not only freelancer-based but also for other moddable games. Perhaps even host mods for other games.

That's the impression I got when I first saw the portal the very first time about 3 or 4 years ago, with its long list of other games on the left side, the forums homepage with all the other game's forums and the download section, where you can get a lot of stuff for other moddable games.

You have started some modding with another engine already: Starlancer Sol Wars build on the FSO engine of Freespace. I saw the talk about it with some well-known Freespace-modders on mobd.
    Unfortunatly none of this took place at the Freespace forum of SWAT.

The other FL-based SWAT projects: Blaster Universe, Destructable Universe, Tournament Mod, Starlancer Reborn, StarWars Chronicles.
    Nowhere signs of activity, infos on process, even if they are still alive. No discussions or posts, that could make curious, that could attract someone.
    Traffic on the Freelancer subforums for modding is also anything else than vibrant.

And the SWAT project Crossfire now on Vs. 1.81, was/is (oh, I don't know, I only can hope) an achievement of the community ? Or wasn't this titanic work almost completly done by ONE man, YOU, OP ?
    I have no idea, why this was/is so. If there weren't any other modders, modelers and so on willingly enough or capable enough, I don't know.

To me it looks a bit, as if Crossfire has eaten You up, OP, by doing almost everything alone, the modding, the forum administration, keeping the server running AND listening to and also caring about all the gamers, when they ask about some silly features,they would like to have, some lost chars or whatever someone cried out loud for [SIZE=3]M[/SIZE]aster[SIZE=3]O[/SIZE]f[SIZE=3]M[/SIZE]odding, You.
    All this might have distracted You from attending the other projects, from eventually teaching/training/creating a capable modders community -for Freelancer AND other games-, that could carry on the work You have started here, that could develop its abilities and mods on its own, so that SWAT becomes THE forge for modders all around.

Everybody knows, that Crossfire is YOUR baby, your child and for the time being of any Freelancer-gaming You will be MR.CROSSFIRE. But perhaps the time has come to let your child grow up and for You to LET (atleast on a long cord).
    Why not handing over the torch ?
    Get someone else or a team to care about Crossfire, who can do the finishing polish to CF 1.8, working down all the minor bugs with an occasional update for the players via launcher (perhaps coupled with an announcement on the forums), who can work on features you have/had (whatsoever) in mind for CF 1.9. If there isn't anybody capable in doing so - GROW them up for you. In every case, You will always have the last say in things done for crossfire, left alone to Your unmatched abilities in modding.
    Get someone else or a team with proper rights and means to impose them to handle and moderate the forums. Tell them in what and how they could do it (closing threads, deleting posts and attachments, fining, even banning).

That would/could free You for other things and other projects to follow You are interested in (I could imagine, that after these years of work on Crossfire you might be a bit fed up with it.)
    That would/could start/restart the developing of a more active modding community, when they can start participating in co-production of their most beloved mod.

But please, don't do the ONE thing

DON'T LET CROSSFIRE DIE

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• i must say im new here,but so far i have been impressed when reading up and all the work involved,i have enjoyed playing CF here,and i can say for myself that it is "THE BEST MOD" for freelancer around
    OP,i can say im very grateful for all the work you have done and im also sure im not nearly the only one who feels that way

CF deserves to live on despite all difficulties,and i would help carry the torch if i could,but quite frankly i suck at FL modding... if you`d do it in morrowind engine that might be different but thats not much of a help...

i ask you,for all our sakes,please let it live on... even with other people involved and working on your creation
    you have done excellent work, i think it would only be a tribute to yourself,and only FAIR, if it could continue to evolve and live on

When you reach the end of your journey,the only thing that really matters is the journey itself. -Taoist saying

• a good observation... indeed
    unfortunatly that doesnt change the facts

the expression "Crossfire Community" is in my eyes pretty sick
    I have not created a crossfire community nor did i ever want to create one. Crossfire is nothing but a tool for me, a tool that serves SWAT (or at least should do that).

It took me 2 years to create the latest version of the mod. I consider this time "wasted" aswell as i consider the past few months wasted since this community is not willing to keep word. I released the mod under the condition that the members of this community finally act like community members and even do something for this community.
    Over the past months I requested help, information and support just like i requested it last year and the year before. I am still waiting.

What you observed NucNuc is right but nothing will change. Next to a very few ppl the majority give a damn about SWAT.
    I am tired of being the "problem solver" of the entire community. I am tired of being the "workhorse" while the others dont even care. I am tired of being blamed for every shit (which btw. did not even stop in 2010). I am tired to wait months for information that i need badly.
    I think im being lied to all the time because many ppl made big words here on the forum and on meetings which turned out to be false promises.
    Sorry but it is no fun anymore because it doesnt pay off.

I released a new mod because RGHawk convinced me to at least finish that project (to finish it just for me). And this chance that this mod stands for is getting completly wasted by this community. The server could be full of players but since the community does do its job the amount of players is even below the average of 2009 (congratz). The forum activity is a shame aswell. One week prior to the meeting i opened a thread about how DKs look like. That thread was nothing but a pure demonstration of how forum discussions could look like and how they can get started. The members forgot what it means to be a community and what it means to discuss.

Almost every chance that I offer to this community is getting wasted... just like the wiki. When did i start this project requesting information about the games?
    Nope that wasnt January 2010... it was january 2009 and more than an entire year has been wasted by this community.

If i close the CF server and if i close SWAT then I could make more progress on a NEW community in just a few months.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Ok one example from my real life:

It's snow out there.I live in same apartment for 35 years , with 29 neighbors around me.

Every winter i go out and clean this snow in front.
    Only few of us clean this snow and no matter who comes to live in our building the "cleaning party" remain more or less the same!

My wife usually ask me "It's ok, but why always you?"
    My answer:"because i feel a need and i care"

This is only 1 example.I have plenty of this from various life situations.^^

• [SIZE=1]@ bond : didn't know, that there're more old farts like me around (see my sig).[/SIZE] ;)

Dear OP,
    I think THAT

the expression "Crossfire Community" is in my eyes pretty sick I have not created a crossfire community nor did i ever want to create one. Crossfire is nothing but a tool for me, a tool that serves SWAT (or at least should do that).

is a result of the quality of your mod, of Crossfire as a whole, not only CF 1.81 but also all previous versions [SIZE=1](al least CF 1.7, which I have played)[/SIZE].
    You made your "tool" too good.

It has developed kind of a life by its own. A life powerfull enough to distract YOU from what you aimed at, powerfull enough to suppress
    any other "modding" or SWAT-community life.
    But also powerfull enough to breed a bunch of gamers addicted to it, even if they seem not able to properly spread their drug and recruit new addicts.

I haven't digged deep enough [SIZE=1](by now)[/SIZE] to know how life on SWAT was in the beginning or even 4 years, 3 years ago, prior to the start of development of CF 1.8.
    Perhaps it is necessary to start anew. But then perhaps it would be better, if there's a cut, or at least kind of a border between Crossfire and SWAT.

Of course, you can pull the plug on Crossfire every moment and in very real way when I think of the server. But that would only kill multiplay.

BE ASSURED, even than Crossfire will live on. On hundreds of PCs played in Singleplay. At some point in the future maybe someone else will develop an own server-mod
    version of it and open it up again for the gamers. That won't be me. I'm probably too old to learn what's necessary for that and I'm mostlikely too daft to do so.
    But others will come.

WHY ? Because Crossfire is a MILESTONE in FL modding and as such it will never be forgotten.

I can only please You to consider, what I've suggested above.

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• The mod is known that's a great work, and even right now several people are trying to help with it with several different issues ^^ Even they don't come to say "hey, I brought new players, hey I made this in that wiki, hey etc", so you can only notice their work :D

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• i dont care about the mod

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

i dont care about the mod

One question then (I`ll prolly get lightning struck for this):

If you don`t care about the mod - why did you continue working on it in the first place? If you really don`t care, then why have you wasted your time, money & nerve cells for something that you don`t care about?

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

Being a Cynic isn't that bad. Either I'm right or I am pleasantly surprised.

My Homepage

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature
    (" )_(" ) to help him multiply, because that's what bunnies do.

• i dont like unfinished business and i had to prove a few idiots wrong (just a matter of principle)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

the expression "Crossfire Community" is in my eyes pretty sick
    I have not created a crossfire community nor did i ever want to create one. Crossfire is nothing but a tool for me, a tool that serves SWAT (or at least should do that).

Then OP you/we have a problem. You have created a great mod that brought in many new people to swat that have their first affiliation to the CF mod and not swat. It is what bring most people to the forum. Now I understand better what you are thinking. You had a plan for SWAT but sadly it not what happened. On one side you have a community that want to go in on direction, that is devoted to the CF mod and on the other a leader that want to create a gaming and modding community. What ever happens both side will be disappointed because they do not have the same objectives.

I have no idea how this can be solved.

i dont care about the mod

Frankly, I do not believe you there. If you didn't care about the mod you would not have started to create 1.8 all those years ago and you would not have just last month asked people to create a publicity campaign. Maybe you do not care about the mod anymore, but at one time you did care.

SMG_myric, SMG_RDaneel, SMG_MULTIVAC

Interested in joining SMG? PM me

Those people who think they know everything
    are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

• [SIZE=1]Finally an answer of one of the other Crossfire team members.[/SIZE]

Originally posted by Myric

I have no idea how this can be solved.

Any opinions on what I suggested in the lower part of my starting post ?

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

• Ho, I was part of the 1.8 modding in a very small part. Truly, most of the work is from OP's hands. All I did was testing for OP on a bug I had found in 1.7 so that it could be corrected in 1.8.

Has for your suggestion of OP handing off CF to the community, it's a final option but for it to work the CF community has to come together like it never did before. It is a hard thing to do.

SMG_myric, SMG_RDaneel, SMG_MULTIVAC

Interested in joining SMG? PM me

Those people who think they know everything
    are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

• you are wrong myric... just like i said the mod is nothing but a tool
    my clan needed a mod long time ago so i created one, whenever something was needed to be done for the portal then work was done... nothing special... nothing emotional

as for handing the mod over to a team:
    you will not find a single modder in the FL community which would do that
    it is by far much easier to learn modding and create a new mod than to find out how this one is actually working

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• With 'this' man ? hmmm

Anyway, what we need it's not OP giving 'us' the mod, the tool.... it's 'us' who have to give OP our cooperation. And atm, there are just few doing it, and it's not enough to make a comunity big enough for this mod.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• The only reason why the CF server is loosing members over and over again is the stupidity of the players and the ignorance they show to what has to be done. The ignorance to what i have requested. The fail to see the chances that SWAT could offer if it could follow its purpose.
    But thats not going to happen.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

The only reason why the CF server is loosing members over and over again is the stupidity of the players and the ignorance they show to what has to be done. The ignorance to what i have requested. The fail to see the chances that SWAT could offer if it could follow its purpose.

....the stupidity of the players and the ignorance they show to what has to be done.

Do you refer here to the still too wide spread inability to start ans RESTART properly ?

Or anything else ? I don't see a failure in it to play on the server, as freelancer without license, as "lone some merc, pirat, cop, mixup" etc with a license, or member as a clan.
    Am I missing something ?

The ignorance to what i have requested.

That's something, where I can -unfortunatly- understand your anger. But in that your expectations are eventually a bit too high for the social dynamics in a group, where "just having fun" is their main reason to be there.

To get an appearance of ,what was is at the meeting: 6 out of a dozen or two dozen of people ? is a percentage you could be proud of. I once attended a quite exclosive "club", over 35 even PAYING members, and it wasn't peanuts. On festivities 20 to 30 ppl were there. But on the dates for "true" work once a month, we seldomly got the necessary 7 together.

YOUR dedication to modding and Freelancer is something exceptional.

The fail to see the chances that SWAT could offer if it could follow its purpose.

I think here counts in, what Myric and Daywalker said. The vast majority of ppl comming to SWAT just look out for Crossfire, not looking left or right, even IF there's something else to discover.

Guys like me, who came here looking for something NOT Crossfire or Freelancer related [SIZE=1]( I was FULL of prejudices and objections AGAINST playing any Freelancer game)[/SIZE] I would render also more seldom than the usual.

[SIZE=1](last question here)[/SIZE]
    What do you mean by that ?

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !