Menu at top of screen won't appear.

There are 21 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by DarKWolF90.

• OK now this is really starting to annoy me. Whenever I start a new game I get stuck because the menu at the top is cut off. SO then I'm stuck at the first city screen unless I change my resolution lower than my monitors native rez (1680x1050).

I followed the Widescreen instructions that are on the crossfire Moddb.com page but it didn't work. Also it didn't fix my text from being too big.

PLZ HELP!

Never mind I think I fixed it. :D

• Same thing is happening to me. Widescreen 1920*1080 native. How did you fix it?
    I was going to report this in bugs thread after checking some more stations but if you fixed it, please share your method :)

Yes Burros Do Bite.

Chars: SMG_Burro and derivatives thereof

SMG Forums

Originally posted by burro
    Same thing is happening to me. Widescreen 1920*1080 native. How did you fix it?
    I was going to report this in bugs thread after checking some more stations but if you fixed it, please share your method :)

It is not really a bug -- it is a side effect of the Freelancer engine, which is limited to 4:3 scaling. While you can easily change the display resolution; filling a wide screen with Freelancer (without cutting off something) is not so easy.

If your monitor will do 1440 x 1080, then try that.

Some people use keyboard commands rather than the top menu, so they endure missing part of the top and bottom of the screen.

Others claim some success by changing both fonts and screen resolution, but you may have to experiment a little... and that can be tedious with the fonts.

I would be surprised if there is anything that OP or his posse can do about it. But, on the other hand, OP has done a few things in Freelancer that seem "impossible", so I would not bet against him!

Try a 4:3 resolution and see whether you are happier with the results.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• I play on a 16:10 monitor (1680x1050) and I fixed my problem by following the guide posted over at ModDB. By changing the fonts and the FOV settings (Field Of View) you can get the menus in the right spot. However, when you want to play online, start a single player game, and then exit back to the menu. This is so that the game takes on the new settings and corrects the display. Unfortunately, I have to do it every time I start the game. It's a little tedious but eventually I don't really mind it anymore.

I don't know if the exact same settings in the guide work for other widescreen resolutions, because the guide was designed for 1680x1050 resolution, but it probably does too. So give it a try and if you like tweaking, let us know what you used as FOV and Fonts settings to get it just right on a resolution below or above 1680x1050. :))

[CFPD]Lone_Renegade __________[CFPD]Lone_Renegade_TR
    [CFPD]Lone_Renegade*/**/***__[CFPD]Lone_Renegade_BS

Crossfire Federal Police Department Website

When you want to curse and swear, don't despair, use some flair. Be creative with your words, and enjoy the whole affair!

• Hi I've got the same problem i followed the tutorial but the top and bottem of anny menu is cut off. Does annyone have propper values TO not make this happen for a 1920-1080 ore whathever resolution??

• Well, after you pass this small test... and you want to keep your resolution...

For 1680 1050, the normal widescreen thisguide you have it all great enough FL on widescreen tutorial

People for mroe resolution have to change those 1680 1050 to your resolution, and if( as the letters and menu will appear wrong) just to change those numbers a bit more and less... maybe somebody should make a guide for the 1920 1050 res too :D still, you don't need that much, 1680 1050 works with every screen ^^

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I found the tutorial on moddb to be both cryptic and incomplete. Here are two simpler and more thorough approaches:

FL on widescreen

(I am not sure if the jflp plug-in will work with Crossfire, but the fovx values will work pretty well for 4:3, 16:10, or 16:9 aspect ratios)

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• jflp cannot be simply aplied by the clients as this would be cheating thus is incompatible with CF. Mainly because not only widescreen support comes with jflp

JFLP.dll does not add any cheat features that Crossfire does not already have (roll and vertical strafe). JFLP really is the superior solution but, if it does not work in Crossfire, then the fovx values will work.

Unfortunately, JFLP is a bit confusing, because there is a patch version (1.0) and a plain DLL plug-in (version 1.1). The patch would obviously be over-written by Crossfire, so it is moot. The version 1.1 JFLP.DLL is the plug-in that provides widescreen support.

It is really a question of whether the CF launcher overwrites dacom.ini. If it does, then JFLP will not work.

• it has to be verified by OP. But changing any files (that includes dacom.ini to inject another dll) is not allowed and considered cheating. I assume vertical strafe as well as rolling is implemented different in CF than in jflp. I dont want to quarrel about this. Its really a decision by OP - so dont be mad with me. ;D

signature.png

• so dont be mad with me. ;D

I'm not made at you, Huor! I was only describing how it works.

In any case, the reason that I listed the fovx values first is because JFLP might not work with Crossfire.

:)

• Well, soembody could make such guide like for 1680 1050 resolution but for the rest of possible res, so noone needs any other program or thng which will produce conflicts :D

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Well, soembody could make such guide like for 1680 1050 resolution but for the rest of possible res, so noone needs any other program or thng which will produce conflicts :D

That is exactly what I did, Michael.

Take another look: FL on Widescreen

Changing fovx will put everything on the screen so that the game plays correctly.

If you want to move the HUD windows to the edges of the screen, then the JFLP plug-in is the right way to do it. It calculates the actual screen resolution and adjusts window placements accordingly.

:)

Edited once, last by Bullwinkle ().

• Well, al solved then ^^ Just replace that data and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

• Well, al solved then ^^

Just replace that data and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Right. Changing the fovx values fixes everything except for the HUD window locations.

• Those are also fixed by changing a bit more those numbers there ^^ but well... at least Crossfire is the only mod which works at bigger resolution :D

• JPFL + FLhack + all other hooks by adoxa are not allowed to be used on CF

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!