SWAT Portal Updates in 2010

There are 21 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• 2010 has started with the release of the new Crossfire mod in combination with a few design updates on the forum and the crossfire site that we did in 2009. Task was and still is to make SWAT more userfriendly, more modern, more attractive to players.

Within the next 3 months Id like to do important changes on the Portal Frontpage and the forum.
    1. The forum still requires a fix for the search engine prob (the search bots can login but they are not able to read out the forum). I believe I have found a way around this problem, not a solution but something we at least can work with. Result is very important for us as we need better search results on google for SWAT content.
    2. The SWAT Frontpage (SWAT main site) will get another design update. I know that the last update was not that long ago, but the style could be better and offer a better structure.
    3. A wiki plugin for the Portal has to be created. That plugin would allow us to moderate and add new content to the portal in a much easier and faster way.

These changes require some help of php coders so everyone willing to help is welcome.

Next thing that needs to be done is Crossfire related. A PR campaign.
    We need CF trailers and ads. I already mentioned in 2009 what i have in mind.

In 2010 we also have to sort out the moderation of SWAT. The members of the community will have to take over more jobs. But that is something we will discuss later.

For a very long time we only had one FL server represented here at SWAT... that might change. We will have to talk about conditions for other servers (CF1.7).

New games will be introduced to SWAT. New clans and guilds be formed. You are the ones which can do that.

I will introduce a new Code of Conduct for all members of the Portal. The past months and the unpleasent events in december 09 simply require to think about such a solution.

A few years back another modder of this Portal released a mod which remained unfinished. This mod becomes the next community project that you all can work on. Of course we aim for a high quality mod. This is a chance for you to learn modding.
    There also is to be discussed how much other modding projects get support by SWAT.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Good news... I would also use the searching engine fix, so I can make it work with my CF's Community public toolbar ^^

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Reporting in to help with wiki.

Creator of the SWAT Mod: Freelancer: Expanded Universe - currently halted due to university activities, but you can help if you want :D

Go to the FL:EU's forums

Also click here...

Pff, I'm not afk. I'm just lurking, coz I don't have even time to post, think about the time I have to mod >.<

[instagib] [woot] [instagib]

• first i need to do the coding part

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• - wikis for? 1.7, 1.8, other FL Mods? With an eager Team of coders and players a wiki can be made in no Time.

- I have some basic experiences in php, mysql and html but not much time this year, if i know what to do i will try to help - just as a hint, for php and sql we know a realy good coder around, do we?

Click the image above to visit us.

• dunno - but for sure it wont be easy as i want the wiki be part of the portal

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    dunno - but for sure it wont be easy as i want the wiki be part of the portal

yet there are so many fun things you can do with wiki code, it is very customizable. But I would be careful as to who is allowed to edit it.

• It´s just a matter of a database, it´s connection and to place the tables in the SWAT Database, no big deal. Of course there must be decisions of you what you want to have in the wiki and what you don´t wanna have.

Click the image above to visit us.

• i am not talking about a CF database or a CF wiki
    i dont even want to be such a CF wiki being public... ill have to think about new possibilities to get a private database running again (but thats something ill think about later)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

OP wrote
    i dont even want to be such a CF wiki being public.

[SIZE=3]Why not ?[/SIZE]
    Such a public wiki would be a good advertising - for ppl lookin' around for spacesims. There are younger ppl around, who don't know that there is still an ongoing development of the game, who render FL as a kind of historical stepstone of the ancients of gaming, who don't even know of its existence.

A wiki, linked also to more general sites about spacegames ( i.e. spacesim central ) could work like a teaser with looking on some screenies and some bits of info of the CF-Universe, making them curious to explore it and get the FULL story behind this teasing informations and feeling of dwelling there.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• ppl should play the game instead of cheating their way through the game

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I agree that some type wiki may get more people who somehow missed the beauty of Freelancer...and especially CF mod of Freelancer involved or interested.....but OP is right 1 trillion percent that the game should be played through.....without cheats.
    I must admit I have asked help a few times....but i tend to try many times to figure all out myself....hope thats not a cheat.

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

• OP said

ppl should play the game instead of cheating their way through the game

Who talks about cheating ????

To have a look at pics of the cool ships, the georgeuos backgrounds and sizzeling (new) stations, to get an idea of whats going on in the crossfire universe (only background of the quests, some infocards to be read i.e.)....That makes you only curious to explore and find these ships, systems and stations by yourself.
    I don't say that you should do it like the Discovery wiki where you can actually find the coordinates of i.e. stations and jumpholes and alike.

It should just be something like "backside"-text of a book, where you get an idea HOW FANTASTIC it would be to get the whole story.

It's an experience I've made with my daughter ( 12 years old ). Might not be statistical, but as a "case report" ?
    On looking for something for physics at school ( it was ORBIT her teacher had in mind ) the kids stumbled over Freespace and Discovery. Now, with a bit help by me lending them the original copies and a compassionate teacher, who allowed them to do so, they are running a freespace multiplay on their school-server.

And there are two lads now of her class, who started visiting the Disco-server.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

Originally posted by NucNuc

(snip)

It should just be something like "backside"-text of a book, where you get an idea HOW FANTASTIC it would be to get the whole story.

Maybe, then, a wiki is not the correct answer for that. The concept of the MediaWiki software stands for "free to use, to edit, to read, etc", and, while you can still "block" pages so nobody (or a few selected users) can edit the content

I think (using my experience as a Wiki user/admin) that having a CF wiki is a double-bladed sword. All the things that you get by using a wiki (like: everyone putting their knowlodge together, and everyone taking advantage of it)...are the same things that, sometimes, will "spoil" everything to the unfortunate reader.

Yes, we can create a "rule for no spoilers", but again, with the "everyone can edit" part, you kinda can't really control in real-time if someone puts a spoiler (OR miss-information), and well, if you block all the pages (or the spoiler-sensitive ones), you just might get a wordpress running, so you can be able to read the history and get to know the ship specs and the vanilla maps (with no wrecks, of course :P)

Going web 2.0 on FL would be a excellent thing...we just need to get some nice ideas (and keeping the spoilers to ourselves :))
    Well, that's my opinion :)
    One crazy idea i had a while ago, was creating a Jisko / twitter account of my ship, to just post something CF-related (like "hey i just went on a nice deal on Planet Malta! the people around seems really nice :D", but well, doing that alone might be lame (and people will mistake me for a loner/crazy/normal person)

Sorry for my long and lamely-english written answer :)

EDIT:
    Yet again, doing a second reading of the initial post by OP, adding a wiki inside the portal sounds nice, but i personally think that a blog might be easier. But well, i'm not in charge of nothing around here, i just put my opinion based on job experiences :)

• this thread.... ìts not about a CF wiki.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I'm not sure exactly what is being said, likely because I was up all night trading in game, but what I do understand is this:

As with 1.7 to 1.8, the site too is getting reworked and efforts are moving forward to make CF the bustling hub I remember from when I first joined.. but better even. I've very excited to hear this and look forward to the meeting later.

Thank you OP and all others who helped (and are helping) make this an even better place to spend my time. I will do what I can to make this a good home for the new pilots that will undoubtedly come. :]

Although I can accept talking scarecrows, lions
    and great wizards of emerald cities, I find it
    hard to believe there is no paperwork involved
    when your house lands on a witch.
    - Dave James

:tongue: