Discovery Mod/Community

There are 104 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Fire_Wolf_br.

• In the past weeks people from the discovery community went to other FL community to spread word about their mod... ok... nothing bad to do advertisement on the major FL communities

But then statements such as "Discovery is the best Freelancer mod" and "others should start work hard in order to be as successful as discovery" (a statement which was clearly directed to me and SWAT)
    Every of the posts implied that Discovery is better than others... and that in every single way. The discovery mod is better than all others... the discovery roleplay is better than the crappy rp on other servers... bla bla bla
    Every new post was even more respectless than the previous post and very offensive.

Most of those talks were done at TLR... but got meanwhile removed by the request of the discovery guy which caused all the trouble (the initial advertisement is still there while the insulting comments have been removed)
    Several people at TLR supported my views (that means everyone involved did)... the Rankor brought it to the point by calling the discovery methods "patronizing"

similar stuff has been done at TSP where people over finally critizied those methods and the praising of discovery

yesterday i took the chance to have a look at the discovery forum... actually I have spent 5 hours to read though hundreds of forum pages just about Crossfire
    There are 20-30 threads about which Crossfire features can and should be used for discovery (and believe me I have never before seen another FL community hosting that many Crossfire screenshots next to SWAT and moddb)... sometimes with the suggestion just to rip that stuff from the mod without permission. Since 2007 Discovery became more and more like CF (based on the forum discussions)... CF features and concepts got introduced... CF story elements were discussed to be used for discovery... ships... discussions about our dynamic economy... about planetary systems... about many other things that we have introduced with Crossfire

there is at least the double amount of threads dealing with how bad crossfire is... how much it sux... that it is one of the worst mods in the entire FL community.

Just like that there are similar threads about taking other mods features such as from flak... from wts... from many other mods... and there are tons of threads dealing with how crappy those mods are.

Basically it can be said that on the Discovery forums the discovery mod gets praised to be the best of the best... and everything else is the worst shit that ever has been developed (eventhough the features seem to be good enough to be used in discovery meanwhile)
    With that mentality an ordinary player would not even think about trying a different mod since they obviously cant be any good.

Well after ive read the crap on TLR and on the discovery forum I had to reply to TLR (which is very likely why the posts on that thread got removed since it showed the truth about discovery)

This is what I wrote:

In the past weeks all of a sudden tons posts appeared in the entire freelancer community advertising discovery... mostly some unknown people appear out of nowhere and start posting "discovery is the best FL mod"

One thing you also have to know... Discovery is not contributing to the FL modding scene... no single tutorial has been posted... no help for other servers... no help for FL community ... nothing to help FL in general
    Discovery is only doing work to help Discovery... and if the entire FL community around would die then these people wouldnt care.

about 1 week ago a guy from discovery came to TSP (the starport) to ask for help with a "freelancer project".
    He asked us to support him to create a trailer for a Freelancer TV show... claiming that he would be a famous producer and millionair. When he didnt get the support because of serious doubts (MS would never support such an idea.... and the creation of such a show does take years while FL does not have that much time) he left being angry... and since I was the one which had the most serious arguements against his idea he went straight to the discovery forum to talk shit about me there.
    Now the best thing is... the so called Freelancer TV series he planned was fully based on Discovery... on the discovery RP, the discovery factions, the discovery clans and the people on discovery. To assume that Discovery is now the community running the newly official FL story is so incredible arrogant and respectless towards all other FL mods out there
    And to run away claiming shit about me when the discovery guys didnt get what they want from the FL community is so incredible childish.
    Their entire project had just one purpose... to promote Discovery... and not to promote FL.

As you should have read I quoted some stuff of the discovery forum when I wrote down my thoughts on TLR... you also can see how that guy manipulated the MOTY2008 voting
    I could even imagine that Discovery is behind the massive downrating of the Freelancer mods at the beginning of the MOTY.
    Explaination: at moddb every mod can be rated from 1-10.... when the awards started some idiots manipulated that rating by doing massive 1 votes.... in case of Crossfire our rating when from 9.1 down to 8.7 which is not much because CF already had many high votes.... other mods with less votes dropped from 9 to 5-7.
    I have just checked the starport on this matter and discovery is the only big FL mod which did not complain about any down rating... meaning that their mod site at moddb was not affected.

Oh and sticking with the mod awards... on the discovery forum we are getting blamed for having better methods of advertising...
    and the official statement about the results where the following:

aha... cool
    so this is caused by no discovery releases in 2008... aha... well ... the last release of Crossfire was 2 1/2 years ago and it did not matter
    incredible excuse
    What Discovery was the 3rd?... how comes? I didnt see that it was the 3rd... it also could have been on the very last position
    Maybe Flak88 was on the 3rd position... or shattered worlds... or WTS.... but no lets simply claim that Discovery was the 3rd eventough there is nothing that can speak for such a claim.

As you can see just in the past few weeks I got enough reason to be heavily pissed about Discovery and their unfair methods. I will not support anything Discovery related anytime soon and will interfere as soon I see that people from discovery are doing such shit again.

Sorry but the behavious of the Discovery community is so sick and damaging to the FL community... arrogant... selfish... offensive... manipulating... patronizing... simply sick

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Could be a coincidence but over the last few weeks I have seen that Mod mentioned on Crossfire forums more times than I had in the previous 5 years

Very strange.

• I know Discovery for some years now, there has always been some aspects that I enjoyed in that server/mod, there has been other ones that I dislike.

I have to say that it is right, there's not much new on that mod if you are looking for new mod features, most of the systems created are very poor, and the economy wasn't even touched (so far as I remember).

The only good things that Discovery managed to build in my opinion was a way of RP which works and can be called by that, supported by an average level mod with a good story, the faction aligment is a feature that prizes the players who have a good knowledge of the Freelancer story.

Still it fails in one little big thing, it is to based in capital ships, which spoils the only thing that distinguish freelancer as a potential RPG, the use of our own skills instead of credits at the time of fight. along with these we also can't find much interesting ships in it, if you compare it with other mods.

I still thing that a good mod/server has a lot to do with the way the creator joins both set of server rules/mod, The true is that the most populated servers aren't by far the ones with the best mods Discovery, Void, Hamburg City, none of them have a mod comparable with Crossfire ot others around, but still they keep a good amount of players, and it's funny that while one of them is a pure RP server (probably the only one) the other ones don't really have RP but more of a PVP/RP environment.

if the question is: is Discovery a good mod? I will say, -nope, it's a prety shi*** mod.

if the question is: is Discovery a good server? then I will say
    - it's pretty good if you want pure RP and never have a decent PVP again.

About all the marketing that the Discovery community has been doing, all I can say is that I have read pretty much crap and false statements of the mod/server itself, the truth is that most of the people who do it, didn't even tried other mods (and lots of them neither even played the campaign).

eYf-Bb3kqDGZowNom6-Xa5yH0mydz8mBks6wgxw14TQ5NwEJBwfq4f1yRZFAlDX2qQ1-L2f4dN_jPCc4gHS39_4_KEcGf2rKKAIS9lt8znRUc0bbwU4HNGMbSmj-T1tQKW2T0FKHNMXYsHEHc4Qagn3xOVsBjwqOdFH4JyoGcTZdqMwXHFy76r9Fmny4UKT5zjWLQpDkuPo04jpg8sBGnCda4adtRxGHGbDw62IeEFT0WCu_go8lDBHh0WtGmPobfV87RVBaEqL3EGKAaPPRkjp-CR4J4phrjQzZQ2VUtg_-y5LTVcuqnCQugz3jfjP7xQqfvKNkjyMHKU9r4sV_D9IcYmVpYHXZ8ahWfGhesJkd0J8qCXtHRCwhnoMSF31z-piViN7S8MprdxmNA5irBMSB2cjAswp9SVe6wiATbaZEJG1bXg7_LbTVfiytOpYeKWjeQtra39Duhqgml8OV_4sQbY6hoi84NZ_mUayUfNOcCWuOlrLas3DPtvqq0cEfGOV-N6jSPssgvTCKTU4Y9OD8vIz14HCDKBAwi7NnvilwamcVEXqM3kH8YjIYyHtDaf7d8wY5caOUu4Y1AWfmJlZKMcVidj_K2RLYI_XQT8AQe3FnXn_-0fQfB2CPwbeJl_F7Nx-JLwk40KkWAON4x4TXBCq-rw9dmoLGDoS8ftamBKX9EZUxxbPSwuWzIU-ZviAWliUP_mLn8ILYZ-tt4SEnb5sUJkI0GWlLakmDHOwHtH3zAw8O0gt-wuCZCS5vGpuxt9tRDWS1_cIXvZML-ZRrZAHv0mig99hrUX4UMKGoM7FvaIiqnDDZPKMKJO8rA6jAx58nLCki-Xg8ci6ke5uspV7aCUQOmh6U3sZd5Z7acqvypYBAIo8lOMYpbCWRVqdyzaxTA_BdhKN_2OZ3aUK7qkATbEDHMxeu5d_NyqurxvYno5p-zBhnKVT6MNXRE2EpJq1cacTU9WuPNYWJSSF8kAw0_kS8QHURYgbHXpfRKENjBHUaV9h2jA=w348-h200-s-no?authuser=0

• yep. I agree w/ OP and Argos... as i said on another post, I was already there on 2k7, when I was just another independent modder. their treatment with other users was horrible... i just needed help, and they treated me really bad.

btw, i'm starting to wonder that a house called "Gallia" there isn't simple coincidence... Hey ppl, what about a Italian and a South-American, or another house to get the 8, and then start a big-scale war with Bretonia neutral?

cya

Creator of the SWAT Mod: Freelancer: Expanded Universe - currently halted due to university activities, but you can help if you want :D

Go to the FL:EU's forums

Also click here...

Pff, I'm not afk. I'm just lurking, coz I don't have even time to post, think about the time I have to mod >.<

[instagib] [woot] [instagib]

• They're like ants, you stomp a few, but a few more pop up.
    A lot of the other communities I try to post on dismiss Discovery as absolute shit

Originally posted by DiscoveryRulez
    You are just some stupid loosers without any skill. Your mod sux like all others out there, thats why Discovery is the best mod ever and nothing will change this. Not you and your lousy community or anybody out there. You motherfuckers will pay for messing with Discovery. I'll get your server down this community closed. Discovery is Freelancer and we take what we want.

whats up men - ahm no child - do you fear anything? someone please give him back his comforter ;P

now the prove is - heap of shit is not able to think. Thx for confirming this!

ROFL

Originally posted by Azadur
    A moderator would move the post above for inappropriate content.

Totally 8)

<table border="0" align="center" width="75%" height="40px" cellspacing="0"><tr>
    <td align="left" background="http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9442/swatwj7.png" width="2px"></td>
    <td valign="top" align="center" width="100%" background="http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/401/swatya1.gif"><font face="serif" color="white" size="5">&#191;&#647;&#592;&#653;&#387;&#592;&#623; - magwat?</font></td>
    <td align="right" background="http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6025/swatright.png" width="2px"></td>
    </tr></table>
    <!--<hr width="85%" />

Fix'd.

-->

• You motherfuckers can't do anything ... Discovery is the best and always will be better than the shit you have created. Your servers will go down. I'll make sure of it.
    I'll rip the heart out of this community even if this is the last thing I will do.

You motherfuckers can't do anything ... Discovery is the best and always will be better than the shit you have created. Your servers will go down. I'll make sure of it.
    I'll rip the heart out of this community even if this is the last thing I will do.

believe me ... It would be the last thing you would do
    ... and banned

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• holy crappo this guy just reflected the hatred the whole discovery community feels towards any other Freelancer project... I learned not to generalize but combining his post and Ops statement you have a perfect sum up of the people there

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• what a cry baby... and he repeats - guess thats the only thing they can say. And finally this is a prove again that there must be something true on OPs story ;)

Hehe - rip the heart out - he even dont know whats a brain - so how he should know what a heart is? Prove over prove i am interested to see more from Discovery ;) BTW any ideas if this was a kind of senior "leader", "admin" or whatever from discovery?

Would also be interesting to see fact that prove that OP was wrong - but i guess we never will see any from them, coz they are not existing ;)

any ideas if this was a kind of senior "leader", "admin" or whatever from discovery?

I doubt, guys I won't say that everyone in Discovery is like these guy, let's focus in facts and not tag an all community by the posts of some kids.

There's good people in Discovery has there is in a lot of servers, however these kind of comments really shows how some people feel and think about it. which make's me think 2 from one, or these guys never played else where or it's a completely looser an never made anything decent in other servers.

eYf-Bb3kqDGZowNom6-Xa5yH0mydz8mBks6wgxw14TQ5NwEJBwfq4f1yRZFAlDX2qQ1-L2f4dN_jPCc4gHS39_4_KEcGf2rKKAIS9lt8znRUc0bbwU4HNGMbSmj-T1tQKW2T0FKHNMXYsHEHc4Qagn3xOVsBjwqOdFH4JyoGcTZdqMwXHFy76r9Fmny4UKT5zjWLQpDkuPo04jpg8sBGnCda4adtRxGHGbDw62IeEFT0WCu_go8lDBHh0WtGmPobfV87RVBaEqL3EGKAaPPRkjp-CR4J4phrjQzZQ2VUtg_-y5LTVcuqnCQugz3jfjP7xQqfvKNkjyMHKU9r4sV_D9IcYmVpYHXZ8ahWfGhesJkd0J8qCXtHRCwhnoMSF31z-piViN7S8MprdxmNA5irBMSB2cjAswp9SVe6wiATbaZEJG1bXg7_LbTVfiytOpYeKWjeQtra39Duhqgml8OV_4sQbY6hoi84NZ_mUayUfNOcCWuOlrLas3DPtvqq0cEfGOV-N6jSPssgvTCKTU4Y9OD8vIz14HCDKBAwi7NnvilwamcVEXqM3kH8YjIYyHtDaf7d8wY5caOUu4Y1AWfmJlZKMcVidj_K2RLYI_XQT8AQe3FnXn_-0fQfB2CPwbeJl_F7Nx-JLwk40KkWAON4x4TXBCq-rw9dmoLGDoS8ftamBKX9EZUxxbPSwuWzIU-ZviAWliUP_mLn8ILYZ-tt4SEnb5sUJkI0GWlLakmDHOwHtH3zAw8O0gt-wuCZCS5vGpuxt9tRDWS1_cIXvZML-ZRrZAHv0mig99hrUX4UMKGoM7FvaIiqnDDZPKMKJO8rA6jAx58nLCki-Xg8ci6ke5uspV7aCUQOmh6U3sZd5Z7acqvypYBAIo8lOMYpbCWRVqdyzaxTA_BdhKN_2OZ3aUK7qkATbEDHMxeu5d_NyqurxvYno5p-zBhnKVT6MNXRE2EpJq1cacTU9WuPNYWJSSF8kAw0_kS8QHURYgbHXpfRKENjBHUaV9h2jA=w348-h200-s-no?authuser=0

• im not even interested in who that was

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

You motherfuckers can't do anything ... Discovery is the best and always will be better than the shit you have created. Your servers will go down. I'll make sure of it.

The last guy who tried the same thing was paid a visit. He's not doing this kind of thing anymore.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

Maybe this is just the best proof for OP's claims, isn't it? You are one of the examples for the stated behaviour.

(I called it claims because you didn't prove with any links, and this doesn't mean that I don't believe you...just would like to check for myself)

• if it was not a very well known member of the discovery mod team - than someone should come here for an apology ;)

But that would be too much efforts and too much to expect from them i guess

• http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20406
    and there are about 50 other posts just about crossfire telling how bad it is (this one was just the first example I could find now using their search)

discussions about CF features
    http://discoverygc.com/forums/…wtopic=32374&hl=crossfire
    there are discussions about planetary missions, CF storyline, taking the starlancer ships from CF(there are about 5-6 threads just about this topic), CF autoupdater/launcher, taking many other features

alltogether there are more than 100 Crossfire related threads on the Discovery forum either about using our features can concepts or telling how crap our mod is...
    not to mention the stuff you could read on other forums where the Discovery fanboys praise their mod to be the best of the best (implying that everything else is worth less)
    And its not only about Crossfire... the stuff ive read about other mods is partly even worse.

I could even show you posts on the SWAT forum from 1 year ago where discovery people made stupid claims

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I tried the Discovery MOD a while back. It was very plain, common and needed a good coat of paint...so to speak. After playing Discovery for about three hours, my computer rebooted on its own. I yanked all the Discovery files off, did a serious virus scan and restarted my computer to work on other projects. I heard a strange sound coming from the back of my computer and noticed that my now non-Discovery Mod computer was licking its asshole as fast as it could. When I typed an inquiry to my system as to why the ass licking, it replied: that it was just trying to get the taste of the Discovery Mod out of its system files. Seriously, I've tried many Mods and only two mods I use now are the Crossfire 1.7 and the Frontierspace 1.75. Each has something worthwhile to ad to the FL community. Some of the other mods were fun, but didn't keep my interest long enough. That doesn't mean they were bad, they were just not right for me.

The "kids" at the Discovery Mod site have lost track of the reason we mod....to continue the FL experience. It is unfortunate that they have to use totally vulgar names and make threats to anyone. A perfect mod doesn't need to advertise that it is better than everything else. If it is, we'll all find it out on our own. If not...well, we will find that out too. Crossfire 1.7 is not perfect and has never claimed to be such. However, those of us who use the Crossfire 1.7 mod know it truly is at the top of all FL mods.

I feel sorry for the Discovery Mod community. To be told over and over again what a wonderful world they live in, and then they find the rest of the FL mods. It is like using sugar for the first time in your life and you see what you have been missing. It really is all about Freelancer and extending the whole experience.

It appears the leadership of the Discovery Mod crew really do ride the short yellow school bus. Don't forget to fasten your helmets kids.

I'm am sorry if I offended anyone who really has to ride that short yellow bus, you can't help your situation.

I guess we all discovery things we do not care for in our lives - the Discovery Mod is now at the top of my "scrape off my shoe" list.

Regards,

F. Hensley
    Washington, DC

• In the event that there are other citizens of the Discovery community browsing this thread with disdain, I would like to point out that the issue here is not so much with Igiss as his community. I have a lot of respect for any modder who can build a mod of that size, even if much of the content is not truly original. OP will be the first to admit that not all of CF is original to him, but many modders have glady given permission to have their work perpetuated in such a comprehensive rework of FL. OP can justifiably say that most everything in CF has been improved by him, however (along with those who have pitched in to help).

Every community wants to feel that they have the "best" mod to share, but every community has its cycles, ebbing & waning like the tides. One year, a community has great unity & fellowship, the next, they are tearing each other apart over petty issues. The CF community is mature enough now that it has finally grown past such squabbles, and provides a stable home for one of the really great computer games of all time. No need to bash others for their near-sightedness, except when they cannot stop talking trash about a worthy enterprise. :evil:

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)