Letter to other Admins

There are 45 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Centaurian.

• I started a new thread for the letter discussed in "LR meeting" thread. The letter topic would muddle up the other thread.

If anyone can list the Mods and Admins with hyperlinks in this thread so OP can send the finished letter easily, it would be much appreciated.

The Letter is a rough draft. Please make comments and suggestions so we can make a perfect letter.

Thx m8s.

The rough draft:

Hello <name>,

My name is OP-R8R. People just call me OP. I am the Admin for the Swat Portal and the Crossfire Mod for FL. As you already know the GLS from Microsoft went offline a few weeks ago.

We are both Admins/Modders and Im sure neither of us want to see all of the countless hours and hard work go to waste because of this GLS situation. If any community suffers because of the GLS; we all suffer and risk dying out.

Crossfire has been using a method to bypass the GLS. This method works very well and has not given us any problems at all. I am sending this mail to offer any help if *mod name* still requires the GLS. I can be contacted directly at *link*. There is no charge nor anything else asked for in return for any help.

The vision of the Swat Portal http://www.swat-portal.com is to provide a place for people to come for any technical or support needs. Modders need a place where they can go to explore different questions and exchange ideas in a free environment. All people have a different comfort level for sharing information. It doesnt matter if you wish to share nothing or wish to share much. You are welcome at the Swat Portal. For Mods, tools, etcplease see downloads. *mod name* can be added to the downloads section and an announcement made on the home page. Swat Portal will also post your server news, updates, ect... in a timely manner. We have technical support *link* and complete mod support *link*. All of this is completely free and with no strings attached.

We are working on a new GLS. This GLS will be independent of any Mods and independently hosted as the original GLS has always been. It is our belief that a GLS controlled by a Mod or group of Mods can lead to grave abuses. *mod name* and its community deserves the right to be independent and free from control or abuse by anyone.

If you would like to join the GLS development team please let me know. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I wish you a very happy Holidays and a prosperous New Year.

Sincerely yours

OP

-edit- included server news suggested by FLYBYU. Thx for the good input ^^

Yes Burros Do Bite.

Chars: SMG_Burro and derivatives thereof

SMG Forums

• I think it sounds good, but I will work on something immediate for a alternate letter

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Also might want to spell out that Swat-Portal is also posting server News and that any news they want posted will be done in a timely matter.

• sounds really cool :)

<table border="0" align="center" width="75%" height="40px" cellspacing="0"><tr>
    <td align="left" background="http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9442/swatwj7.png" width="2px"></td>
    <td valign="top" align="center" width="100%" background="http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/401/swatya1.gif"><font face="serif" color="white" size="5">&#191;&#647;&#592;&#653;&#387;&#592;&#623; - magwat?</font></td>
    <td align="right" background="http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6025/swatright.png" width="2px"></td>
    </tr></table>
    <!--<hr width="85%" />

Fix'd.

-->

• 1. i dont think its good if i send out that stuff or that this letter comes from me... it has to come from the members of this community and not from its leader

2. we dont have a public GLS bypass yet; all we have is the bypass for CF
    I think its better to say that we have several options to solve this problem and that we are willing to work on a solution
    we could mention that unlike on other servers, players using our current mods dont have a problem to connect to the gls

3. im not sure if its good to write something about a gls development team... we dont even have the neccessary software yet and i dont like to create wrong illusions
    all we have are possibilities, chances and options (and good contacts)
    but yes... i would include the stuff about setting up a new gls which is independent

4. i would focus more on what we have to offer
    that SWAT is what LR once was
    that we can offer the same and even more
    that we post news, that we have good contacts to gaming companies and that we get exclusing info and material
    that we can host mods
    that we have alot of game information (about those 14+ games that we support -> important)
    that we plan to create a mod database where the community can introduce and moderate their work
    that we have modding tutorials and help with modding questions
    that we have a kind community where fun is most important
    that some of the best mod creators and several other communities are supporting SWAT
    that we offer so much more that i cant remember atm and that this is for free...

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• the GLS is just a tip of the iceberg, the TLR forums are really needed for those who are still creating and developing theire own mod's (that is being build here), ppl used to check TLR for new mod's (at these moment there's nowhere where to make it ), the GLS bypass can be made by a direct conection file ( Void allready have it for example, so Crossfire does).

Basicly, all the Freelancer comunity need's somewhere where to be and discuss, changed ideias, and so on. that's the value of what OP is trying to build here.

eYf-Bb3kqDGZowNom6-Xa5yH0mydz8mBks6wgxw14TQ5NwEJBwfq4f1yRZFAlDX2qQ1-L2f4dN_jPCc4gHS39_4_KEcGf2rKKAIS9lt8znRUc0bbwU4HNGMbSmj-T1tQKW2T0FKHNMXYsHEHc4Qagn3xOVsBjwqOdFH4JyoGcTZdqMwXHFy76r9Fmny4UKT5zjWLQpDkuPo04jpg8sBGnCda4adtRxGHGbDw62IeEFT0WCu_go8lDBHh0WtGmPobfV87RVBaEqL3EGKAaPPRkjp-CR4J4phrjQzZQ2VUtg_-y5LTVcuqnCQugz3jfjP7xQqfvKNkjyMHKU9r4sV_D9IcYmVpYHXZ8ahWfGhesJkd0J8qCXtHRCwhnoMSF31z-piViN7S8MprdxmNA5irBMSB2cjAswp9SVe6wiATbaZEJG1bXg7_LbTVfiytOpYeKWjeQtra39Duhqgml8OV_4sQbY6hoi84NZ_mUayUfNOcCWuOlrLas3DPtvqq0cEfGOV-N6jSPssgvTCKTU4Y9OD8vIz14HCDKBAwi7NnvilwamcVEXqM3kH8YjIYyHtDaf7d8wY5caOUu4Y1AWfmJlZKMcVidj_K2RLYI_XQT8AQe3FnXn_-0fQfB2CPwbeJl_F7Nx-JLwk40KkWAON4x4TXBCq-rw9dmoLGDoS8ftamBKX9EZUxxbPSwuWzIU-ZviAWliUP_mLn8ILYZ-tt4SEnb5sUJkI0GWlLakmDHOwHtH3zAw8O0gt-wuCZCS5vGpuxt9tRDWS1_cIXvZML-ZRrZAHv0mig99hrUX4UMKGoM7FvaIiqnDDZPKMKJO8rA6jAx58nLCki-Xg8ci6ke5uspV7aCUQOmh6U3sZd5Z7acqvypYBAIo8lOMYpbCWRVqdyzaxTA_BdhKN_2OZ3aUK7qkATbEDHMxeu5d_NyqurxvYno5p-zBhnKVT6MNXRE2EpJq1cacTU9WuPNYWJSSF8kAw0_kS8QHURYgbHXpfRKENjBHUaV9h2jA=w348-h200-s-no?authuser=0

• On a server connecter, Crabtree made a nice tool and is very simple to use. After install, there is an ini file that you can add servers to, as well as with the program running. Reason I mentioned the ini is because maybe someone can get into the program and add many servers to the list. I am sure Crabtree would not mind adding more servers to the program, I am sure we can get his permission or maybe he might do it himself if ask to with a list of servers to add to the tool.
    I use this program when the GLS was down to connect to the servers I wanted to play on.

I have this program and if you want to take a look at it Swat_OP, I will send it to you. Sorry if this is off topic.

Now on the Admin letter once a version is agreed up on I can send it to all the English FL communities, as I am limited to English language only. Someone else would have to send it to the German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, etc... As I have no idea how to translate this letter to those languages.

Now I am somewhat neutral with most every community I think I could send this letter to several admins. Our little community at Aduis Place has already embraced Swat Portal, Monkey Universe, and Phoenix RPG. I'm sure these Admins would be happy to know about Swat Portal.

• I don't know any valuable Portuguese or Brasilian Freelancer comunity at these moment, seams that the most hard to get in touch will the french comonity which is still a litle bit outsider (these, not to talk about the asian comunity's which I think are still there).

Then I supose that most of the mod builder's know at least some english, so they can read a letter of thes sort.

eYf-Bb3kqDGZowNom6-Xa5yH0mydz8mBks6wgxw14TQ5NwEJBwfq4f1yRZFAlDX2qQ1-L2f4dN_jPCc4gHS39_4_KEcGf2rKKAIS9lt8znRUc0bbwU4HNGMbSmj-T1tQKW2T0FKHNMXYsHEHc4Qagn3xOVsBjwqOdFH4JyoGcTZdqMwXHFy76r9Fmny4UKT5zjWLQpDkuPo04jpg8sBGnCda4adtRxGHGbDw62IeEFT0WCu_go8lDBHh0WtGmPobfV87RVBaEqL3EGKAaPPRkjp-CR4J4phrjQzZQ2VUtg_-y5LTVcuqnCQugz3jfjP7xQqfvKNkjyMHKU9r4sV_D9IcYmVpYHXZ8ahWfGhesJkd0J8qCXtHRCwhnoMSF31z-piViN7S8MprdxmNA5irBMSB2cjAswp9SVe6wiATbaZEJG1bXg7_LbTVfiytOpYeKWjeQtra39Duhqgml8OV_4sQbY6hoi84NZ_mUayUfNOcCWuOlrLas3DPtvqq0cEfGOV-N6jSPssgvTCKTU4Y9OD8vIz14HCDKBAwi7NnvilwamcVEXqM3kH8YjIYyHtDaf7d8wY5caOUu4Y1AWfmJlZKMcVidj_K2RLYI_XQT8AQe3FnXn_-0fQfB2CPwbeJl_F7Nx-JLwk40KkWAON4x4TXBCq-rw9dmoLGDoS8ftamBKX9EZUxxbPSwuWzIU-ZviAWliUP_mLn8ILYZ-tt4SEnb5sUJkI0GWlLakmDHOwHtH3zAw8O0gt-wuCZCS5vGpuxt9tRDWS1_cIXvZML-ZRrZAHv0mig99hrUX4UMKGoM7FvaIiqnDDZPKMKJO8rA6jAx58nLCki-Xg8ci6ke5uspV7aCUQOmh6U3sZd5Z7acqvypYBAIo8lOMYpbCWRVqdyzaxTA_BdhKN_2OZ3aUK7qkATbEDHMxeu5d_NyqurxvYno5p-zBhnKVT6MNXRE2EpJq1cacTU9WuPNYWJSSF8kAw0_kS8QHURYgbHXpfRKENjBHUaV9h2jA=w348-h200-s-no?authuser=0

• Reason I said Portuguese is because I will be helping make a mod for a modder form the Brazilian community. I have also played with many Brazilian players in my short MP experience. I am going to ask him about the communitys they may have in Brazil.

Just noticed you Argos are Portuguese.

• The Asian Countries might be slightly difficult as there are some Chinese and Japanese Servers and players on those servers are not very fluent with English.

btw I saw that Monkey Universe is promoting another FL Community. 8o

THE FASTEST ONE

• Cool it is all coming together. I will do a rewrite tonight focusing on what OP said. If anyone else wants to do a version please feel free to do it. The more options we have to choose from the better.

FLYBYU that sounds great, you will be a perfect Ambassador to the English language Community 8)

On the Spanish language Community I know that CF has atleast 2 people that speak English and Spanish. Perhaps one of them would volunteer to be the Ambassador to the Spanish language Community. Canoso or Arvedui ??

We have many German speakers. Who would like to be the Ambassador to the German language Community? Kermit or Huor I think you would be very good if you have the time.

The French language Community I know a few people but I havent seen them lately. Are there any French speakers out there that would like to be an Ambassador?

We have several Bulgarian speakers. I dont know large the Bulgarian Community is.

Yes Burros Do Bite.

SMG Forums

• I will ever have the time for this and i´m sure Huor will have it too. Count me in.

A list of the most popular servers with their home web sites are easy to find on cryosphere:

Cryosphere - Home of FLStats

Click the image above to visit us.

• Clear whenever the time lets me work on this i will gladly offer my spare time.

Count me in too.

i like to see the progress the SWAT Admins made with this Internet appearance and all those information for everyone thats is offered here...

Nice nice, well done until now!

• Rewrite of letter. All comments and suggestions welcome. This is still a very rough draft:

Hello *Admin name*

My name is *name*. I am a member of the Swat- Portal and the Crossfire Mod for FL. Our community is reaching out to all FL Communities. We are very concerned that with the Microsoft GLS down people will start leaving Freelancer.

After all of the very hard work that Admins, Development Teams, and Members of the various Communities have invested we can't just sit by and watch Freelancer die.

Crossfire has been using a method to bypass the GLS. This method works very well and has not given us any problems at all. I am sending this mail to offer any help if *mod name* still requires the GLS. We have several options to solve this problem and we will be very happy to help develop the suitable bypass solution for your needs. Our technical team may be contacted directly at *link*. There is no charge nor anything else asked for in return for any help.

The vision of the Swat Portal http://www.swat-portal.com is to provide a place for people to come for any technical or support needs. Modders need a place where they can go to explore different questions and exchange ideas in a free environment. All people have a different comfort level for sharing information. It doesnt matter if you wish to share nothing or wish to share much. You are welcome at the Swat Portal. Fun is what gaming and modding is all about.

The offerings at Swat-Portal are too many to list. Below is a partial list:

1. Mod hosting. *mod name* can be added to the Mod download section and announced on the Swat-Portal home page. Also a link to *mod name* would be placed on the home page.

2. Your updates, Server news, etc.. will be posted in a timely manner. We understand completely this issue is vital to the good health and success of *mod name*.

3. Modding tutorials and help with modding questions without the lame attitudes found in other modding forums. *link*

4. Downloads for tools, fixes, ship packs, etc Too many downloads to list.

5. We are creating a Mod database where the community can introduce and moderate their work.

6. Some of the best mod creators and several other communities are supporting the Swat-Portal.

7. We support 14+ other games with content, news, forums, downloads, etc.. We have excellent contacts with gaming companies and provide exclusive information and materials.

All of this and much more is offered free of charge and with no strings attached.

One of the most important goals for Swat-Portal is to create a new GLS. This GLS will be independent of any Mods and independently hosted as the original GLS has always been. It is our belief that a GLS controlled by a Mod or group of Mods can lead to grave abuses. *mod name* and its community deserves the right to be independent and free from control or abuse by anyone.

We invite you to take a look at http://www.swat-portal.com. If you like what you see and would like to share this information with your Community; please feel free to post this in your forum. If you or anyone in your Community would like to join the team we are always grateful for any help. Thank you very much.

I wish you a very happy Holidays and a prosperous New Year.

Sincerely yours,

*name*

Another header for the letter was PM'd to me. I think it is very good. If you all like it better; we can integrate it to this letter. Also if you like it and want to make changes to it, please make any suggestions.

Header variation:

Greetings to all Admins & Modders,

We the community of Crossfire & SWAT-Portal would like to extend an invitation to you, to join the SWAT community to continue development of the games we all enjoy.

Our purpose is to create a gathering of talent, ideas & the sharing of ideas to solve the collective issues we all face, one being the removal of the GLS which we all know is history for Freelancer.

Crossfire Mod and I am sure a few others, do not require the GLS to connect, but even with this solution to our needs, it certainly does not solve the problem for the entire Freelancer community. We are proposing & are working on implementing a GLS, independant of operation from any one specific community, so ALL of us can continue to play & enjoy our games as a united and informative community. However, this proposal requires the participation of all willing to do so.

Some of the benefits / offerings we are proposing are:

Yes Burros Do Bite.

SMG Forums

• very good

that first part is very good

the 2nd header is also very nice and i think to mix both parts would be the best

Here are my thoughts:
    <hr>

Greetings to all Admins & Modders, (-> and freelancers?)

We the community of Crossfire & SWAT-Portal would like to extend an invitation to you, to join the SWAT community to continue development of the games we all enjoy. (yeah the invitation is good but i wouldnt name Crossfire coz its about SWAT, CF is only a project that is run by SWAT)

Our purpose is to create a gathering of talent, ideas & the sharing of ideas to solve the collective issues we all face, one being the removal of the GLS which we all know is history for Freelancer. (very good)

Crossfire Mod and I am sure a few others, do not require the GLS to connect, but even with this solution to our needs, it certainly does not solve the problem for the entire Freelancer community. We are proposing & are working on implementing a GLS, independant of operation from any one specific community, so ALL of us can continue to play & enjoy our games as a united and informative community. However, this proposal requires the participation of all willing to do so. (also good, i guess its better than the "Crossfire has been using a method to bypass the GLS.")

<hr>

finally we shouldnt forget that we also have to post this to a forum so it should fit there too

good work so far

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!