Concept: Mutiple server mod

There are 25 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Daywalker.

• another concept that wont be realized anytime soon but is doable

the idea behind this is to run a mod like crossfire on 2 or more servers
    -> sirius on server 1
    -> altair/inner core on server 2

basically if you go through the rift your chars will be saved and moved to server 2... then you simply log off and go to server 2 where your chars will be waiting for you (of course you wont be able to use the chars on server 1 then)

advantage:
    no need to use altair systems on server 1 -> less lag in sirius
    no need to use sirius systems on server 2 -> less lag in altair
    just one client version which has both altair and sirius is needed -> no need to change mods
    possibility of alliance clans and coalition clans (raids)
    more players on CF/less lag
    if one server is down you at least have the chance to play on the other server if you have chars there

disadvantage/needs:
    2nd server is needed
    heavy coding is involved

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I always wanted to have Coalition Tags. This way I can have the tags that I want to wear. The problem will be server stability.

Ok a question. I think we will need Two Launchers then ?(

THE FASTEST ONE

• in my opinion it is good as it is
    it could be done to decrease lag but i think it is acceptable and i think it is not worth the trouble

• well, for someone like it, some not
    i dont see the point of seperating 1 server into 2 servers ... that way some people would be here, and some there
    but ok, for those with 2 ID's is acceptable i think

• well, I have to say these idea is not new for me, I already talked about that before, the truth is that the freelancer community is day by day smaller and soon only 4 or 5 servers will exist with enough ppl I think, maybe these is what we really have already.

the dream of a multiserver mod opens the doors for a something new, like an infinite number of systems to explore, civilizations to add, ships and weapons to find.

I think these is more an option to a group of servers that already exist then an option to CF itself, an multiserver mod would need the double of serverpolices and admins as well, but it could catch almost all the FL community in once and that's what is beautiful about it.

eYf-Bb3kqDGZowNom6-Xa5yH0mydz8mBks6wgxw14TQ5NwEJBwfq4f1yRZFAlDX2qQ1-L2f4dN_jPCc4gHS39_4_KEcGf2rKKAIS9lt8znRUc0bbwU4HNGMbSmj-T1tQKW2T0FKHNMXYsHEHc4Qagn3xOVsBjwqOdFH4JyoGcTZdqMwXHFy76r9Fmny4UKT5zjWLQpDkuPo04jpg8sBGnCda4adtRxGHGbDw62IeEFT0WCu_go8lDBHh0WtGmPobfV87RVBaEqL3EGKAaPPRkjp-CR4J4phrjQzZQ2VUtg_-y5LTVcuqnCQugz3jfjP7xQqfvKNkjyMHKU9r4sV_D9IcYmVpYHXZ8ahWfGhesJkd0J8qCXtHRCwhnoMSF31z-piViN7S8MprdxmNA5irBMSB2cjAswp9SVe6wiATbaZEJG1bXg7_LbTVfiytOpYeKWjeQtra39Duhqgml8OV_4sQbY6hoi84NZ_mUayUfNOcCWuOlrLas3DPtvqq0cEfGOV-N6jSPssgvTCKTU4Y9OD8vIz14HCDKBAwi7NnvilwamcVEXqM3kH8YjIYyHtDaf7d8wY5caOUu4Y1AWfmJlZKMcVidj_K2RLYI_XQT8AQe3FnXn_-0fQfB2CPwbeJl_F7Nx-JLwk40KkWAON4x4TXBCq-rw9dmoLGDoS8ftamBKX9EZUxxbPSwuWzIU-ZviAWliUP_mLn8ILYZ-tt4SEnb5sUJkI0GWlLakmDHOwHtH3zAw8O0gt-wuCZCS5vGpuxt9tRDWS1_cIXvZML-ZRrZAHv0mig99hrUX4UMKGoM7FvaIiqnDDZPKMKJO8rA6jAx58nLCki-Xg8ci6ke5uspV7aCUQOmh6U3sZd5Z7acqvypYBAIo8lOMYpbCWRVqdyzaxTA_BdhKN_2OZ3aUK7qkATbEDHMxeu5d_NyqurxvYno5p-zBhnKVT6MNXRE2EpJq1cacTU9WuPNYWJSSF8kAw0_kS8QHURYgbHXpfRKENjBHUaV9h2jA=w348-h200-s-no?authuser=0

• the splitting is less than if you play different mods coz its one community that is connected

and it has nothing to do with 2 IDs... you play with the same id on both servers... you are limited to 5 chars in this network - you are forced to jump from one server to another to get the different equipment

and the way i see it the only reason why we dont have much more players on CF is the lag which is because of too many stuff that this single server needs to handle

2 servers could mean 2 times more players... 2 times more clans... a overall bigger community
    and the chance to widen this feature... sirius and altair is not enough... fine then create 20-40 new systems and host them a 3rd server and if thats not enough find a 4th server

honestly right now we reached the limits... not the limits of creative ideas and concepts but the limit that this server can handle... every new system i create could mean increasing lag

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• oh, i think i get it now ...

so, would that mean that on one server we have only sirius and sirius on NavMap and on another only Altair with Altair NavMap ( i mean, not everything in only 1 point, but showing the clan poitions, as well DK systems, cuz atm all of them are on NavMap in almost same point)

that could be interesting ... but doesnt that mean that you will need more money for the 2nd server ? of course, we all would like to have and explore new systems and see what can we find there with new features, weapons, etc, etc
    but that would also mean expanding the systems and the longer way to hunt the player down - but that might be interesting ( but dont make that we need 3 hours to get from one corner to another, haha)

• yes it would mean to have different maps aswell

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I think your idea is a good one OP.

Indeed CF is a huge mod now and 1 server alone can barely make the job.

I think you have still plenty good stuff to complete your creation of your "Freelancer 2 " aka Crossfire, but that you shurly need more free workspace the make them happen.

Of course a second server will double the cost!
    How are you planning to get this done ?

• it sounds like building an action based mmg - as always the ressources will be the prob ok. But in my opinion other possiblities as a second or third or x. server can be done.

Unfortunal i don´t now the network engine from FL. normaly it´s easier to build a cluster than deviding and holding the same engines for nearly the same ressources on every server again and again - the cluster minimized the costs because you don´t need a second line only the hardware...

Hmmmm, the idea is realy good - what about asking DA for help, think they should be interested to sell more copies from an "old" game.
    You can base a cluster on linux (i know it exists a win/nt based emulator which is working realy fine) which reduce the costs too.

Click the image above to visit us.

you can rent a rack instead of a server - and put 19" based own equipment in it. The racks are from the line as good as the rented servers and have support too...

Click the image above to visit us.

• Well basically, I find it a good idea.

Ideally we should some sort of p2p way of transmitting data - like skype or other p2p clients. This way we could remove the processing from one, vulnerable central server to all participants of the game.
    Maybe it's just fantasizing but this model would yield a platform with no restrictions.

Just my 2cents
    See you all in space
    Alpha 8)

Char: Multitudes

• there are many limitations of the FL server structure which makes it complicated... and to make it working is a real pain due to the fact that many small problems like the security of the chars have to be guaranteed

also there is the question how to prevent the use of one char on both servers at the same time or the use of an old version of the char instead of the new
    but as usual i wouldnt have even suggested such a concept if i wouldnt at least have an idea how it can be done

to get a 2nd server... well under normal conditions i would say it could be a problem
    but we are talking about CF and there are hundreds of empty servers out there and many of them would be glad to host CF and get popular this way
    this AFL issue is just a proof of it (unfortunatly)

honestly i expect that if i shout "any1 interested to host CF" i would get 10-20 answers in just one or two weeks
    (to find the right server could be a different story coz of course we want to guarantee quality and a good administration which is in the interest of the SWAT Portal)

I also could imagine to use a server in a different county to bypass possible connection problems that some ppl have towards germany

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Hosting in Germany is quite fine with me :) (located in a neighboring country)

The problem here is with inter networking between continents. As far as I remember I had a ping at app. 400 ms to the AFL server while I usually have a retransmission with the SWAT server in less than 50 ms.
    Lag is not a question of ping time as far as I understand. We all know that certain systems or certain opponents have high/low lag. It must be a question of server resources.

If multiple servers is the answer to less lag I will support the idea.
    I even have a server with nothing to do ...

See you all in space
    Alpha

Char: Multitudes

• The idea of CF on multiple servers all connected is amazing cool. The possibilities for the CF universe are mind boggling. I hope it happens.

Yes Burros Do Bite.

Chars: SMG_Burro and derivatives thereof

SMG Forums

• I personally like the fact to run 2 servers for the fact that lag will be decreased, but does that mean that you won't have access to the Allience space on the Coalition server anymore?

Also, does it mean that I have to make 2 characters on the servers? No that I can choose the same characters on 2 different servers?

Those were my questions

Admiral

Member of the Lost Prophets since 2006!

If multiple servers is the answer to less lag I will support the idea.
    I even have a server with nothing to do ...

look the server problem is solved already

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

Originally posted by C9H14NO3

Hmmmm, the idea is realy good - what about asking DA for help, think they should be interested to sell more copies from an "old" game.

digital anvil no longer exist.

eYf-Bb3kqDGZowNom6-Xa5yH0mydz8mBks6wgxw14TQ5NwEJBwfq4f1yRZFAlDX2qQ1-L2f4dN_jPCc4gHS39_4_KEcGf2rKKAIS9lt8znRUc0bbwU4HNGMbSmj-T1tQKW2T0FKHNMXYsHEHc4Qagn3xOVsBjwqOdFH4JyoGcTZdqMwXHFy76r9Fmny4UKT5zjWLQpDkuPo04jpg8sBGnCda4adtRxGHGbDw62IeEFT0WCu_go8lDBHh0WtGmPobfV87RVBaEqL3EGKAaPPRkjp-CR4J4phrjQzZQ2VUtg_-y5LTVcuqnCQugz3jfjP7xQqfvKNkjyMHKU9r4sV_D9IcYmVpYHXZ8ahWfGhesJkd0J8qCXtHRCwhnoMSF31z-piViN7S8MprdxmNA5irBMSB2cjAswp9SVe6wiATbaZEJG1bXg7_LbTVfiytOpYeKWjeQtra39Duhqgml8OV_4sQbY6hoi84NZ_mUayUfNOcCWuOlrLas3DPtvqq0cEfGOV-N6jSPssgvTCKTU4Y9OD8vIz14HCDKBAwi7NnvilwamcVEXqM3kH8YjIYyHtDaf7d8wY5caOUu4Y1AWfmJlZKMcVidj_K2RLYI_XQT8AQe3FnXn_-0fQfB2CPwbeJl_F7Nx-JLwk40KkWAON4x4TXBCq-rw9dmoLGDoS8ftamBKX9EZUxxbPSwuWzIU-ZviAWliUP_mLn8ILYZ-tt4SEnb5sUJkI0GWlLakmDHOwHtH3zAw8O0gt-wuCZCS5vGpuxt9tRDWS1_cIXvZML-ZRrZAHv0mig99hrUX4UMKGoM7FvaIiqnDDZPKMKJO8rA6jAx58nLCki-Xg8ci6ke5uspV7aCUQOmh6U3sZd5Z7acqvypYBAIo8lOMYpbCWRVqdyzaxTA_BdhKN_2OZ3aUK7qkATbEDHMxeu5d_NyqurxvYno5p-zBhnKVT6MNXRE2EpJq1cacTU9WuPNYWJSSF8kAw0_kS8QHURYgbHXpfRKENjBHUaV9h2jA=w348-h200-s-no?authuser=0

you are limited to 5 chars in this network ...the only reason why we dont have much more players on CF is the lag which is because of too many stuff that this single server needs to handle

If CF players are limited to only 5 characters TOTAL, this alone might improve the lag caused by server load. This would require more teamwork than ever, if clans want to have multiple ship classes in their inventory (for a variety of RP options).
    I chatted with a CF player last night who said he has 20 characters across 4 separate ID's! 8o This seems excessive to me. This same player also demonstrated the visible increase in NPC lag from only 1 player running Windows Media Player in the background; when he shut the application down, NPC lag vanished. And this was when only 4 players were online at the time! My wish list would include some sort of lag generator detector, so the system would automatically kick players who are the source of this type of lag [3]

The one question I would have about the dual-server mode described at the top of the thread is: if I were logged into server B, would I be able to see if one of my mates were online @ server A? Splitting the action between two servers makes sense from a load standpoint, but it also could hamper coordinated actions across systems, like clan RP, for instance. If players cannot see who is on the other server, or communicate directly with them, it seems as though it would also have the effect of dividing the community to some extent... ?(

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)