A few questions about mod.

There are 26 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by [BC]afGun.

• Hello there. and sorry for my English.

I did't played the game for too long time (more than 10 years) and found out that I forgot almost everything. Discovery mod already warmly welcomed me with tripple death by NPC without any chance to complete routine missions. So I seek any luck here, but now much more cautiously.

My questions are:

1. Is there "no compaign" option for single player? (needed for free exploration which I want to do so in SP withot worrying of roleplay, pvp and so on)

2. How friendly are the mission difficulties? Especialy starting difficulies in New York system.

3. Are the capital ships still glass cannons wich unable to survive even 2-4 hostile fighters?

Thanks in advance.

[BattleCommand] InterGame Clan 1-st Founder

---
    In game signatures:
    [BC]afGun, [BC]Ksygon-Geleon (battleship)
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    Where the darkness turns into light.
    I take you to fly with me
    And follow the way
    There will always be a new day!

• short answers:

1) the openSP option can be found under the launcher options

2) CF belongs to the tougher mods but provides you with everything you need to counter the increased difficulty. Make use of the extra starting money in NY and you should be able to handle the NPCs

3) Cap ships got a rebalance last year, making them significantly thougher. However, they are not primarily designed to destroy fighters.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Thanks for operative answers. I guess I will try it at least.

Did I understood correctrly, that even deep mod systems for solo, now possible to exlore too with a proper equipment (I just need to find out wich ones)? Because 10 years ago it was ... impossible for me :)

P.S.

Cap ships got a rebalance last year, making them significantly thougher. However, they are not primarily designed to destroy fighters.

I always used battleships like "Cyclop" submarine in Subnautica - as a mobile base for long run deep space exlorations. If even top-list capital ship can be shot down by a few NPC in seconds (without using torpedoes and rockets), the idea simply becomes meaningless. In other words: I'm more interested in the battleship's survivability, not firepower (well... except cruise disruption moments).

---
    In game signatures:
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    And follow the way

• In other words: I'm more interested in the battleship's survivability, not firepower (well... except cruise disruption moments).

survival of any ship is down to three things. 1. the ship itself 2. firepower 3. most of all its pilot. all three mated together correctly makes it a deadly combination. for fighters or heavier ships. not forgetting also a knowledge of what your faceing. to mention that knowledge of whats around you can be used against your target. both in defence or offense.

• survival of any ship is down to three things.

From my earlier experience of CF battlesships actually four. And the first one above all is luck.

It's a huge target which you can hit even while being drunk. It's even can't properly escape the fight. And that exactly what I'm asked about. In earlier CF I had really bad luck and was torn to pieces several times by a group of 4-6 nomads for seconds. In the end I gave up the exploration and next I just burnt out.

So now, I have to to choose, which mod is most comfortable for battle ship deep space expeditions. Im' too old for all of this sh hardcore, it seems.

Anyway, I already found a godmode option in singleplayer. So it doesn't matter now.

---
    In game signatures:
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    And follow the way

Edited once, last by [BC]afGun ().

• to sum up

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Anyway, I already found a godmode option in singleplayer. So it doesn't matter now.

Best option. I have to say this mod is definetly not new player friendly. Multiplayer NPCs WAY TOO MUCH dmg, even in normal systems and not the new added ones.

On SP, I do suggest you use a savefile editor to change your credit volume. The settings on how much you have to grind between missions is increased way too much. Also, if you buy one of the new added ships, your player value just smashes down and doesn't stay the way before you did buy the ship. Was grindling like 20 missions, had 4k credits left to new level, did buy new ship and had to grind 700k again. What a joke.
    Another point: Be careful with when you buy new tractor beams and scanners. I did buy the best ones, wanted to buy a new ship and they are just gone and you have your shitty basic ones in the new ship. No clue how it is on MP, since it just annoys me how to make credits, there. Also, there is no option to start neutral to everyone (besides nomads).

So overall, best option for you is to go on SP, create a game and then use a savefile editor and get you 1 billion credits, go on settings, use godmode and then go to where you like.

• I have to say this mod is definetly not new player friendly.

To say it straight: I find it hostile for newcomers. For several reasons. But less than Discovery mod.

did buy new ship and had to grind 700k again.

How about a few millions for a ship that have efficiency lower than Hammerhead? Or 8kk for a ship relatively equal to Titan (800k) and Sabre?

No clue how it is on MP, since it just annoys me how to make credits,

Well, if you survive, you can gather the Escape Pods and sell them at the nearest prison station. Yeah, it's still grinding. But much more effective in compare of missions, trading or ship wrecks survey.

---
    In game signatures:
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    And follow the way

• The additional money in MP and SP when creating a new char is more than sufficient to equip a ship with all tools neccessary to survive and kill NPCs early on.

Important is to actually buy stuff that makes sense... like weapons which have very similar projetile speeds instead of mixing stuff. Different projectile speeds lead to worse aiming... but that already was the case in vanilla FL.

The money needed between missions is not much actually, especially if you trade a bit or sell escape pods. The mod offers tons of new ways how to play it and how to earn money. It would make sense to use the additional features instead just relying on the stuff you know from vanilla FL.

The player value drops because ships are not 100% refunded when selling. They lose worth when used. Just like cars in RL.

This introduces a long term motivation to actually play the game and earn new ships instead of just switching between ships instandly.

The fact that new ships come with essential components preinstalled always existed this way in FL.

And of course you do not start neutral with everyone because that is what you are supposed to figure out if that is your desire. It would be absolutely boring gameplay with there are not challenges in the game.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• The additional money in MP and SP when creating a new char is more than sufficient to equip a ship with all tools neccessary to survive and kill NPCs early on.

Like sabre in New York?

I got stuck in a space base once because of hostile high-level encounters in New York - they intantly shot me down right after undocking 7 times in a row. The same thing happens when tradelane is disrupted by high level ships (they also use cruise disruptors). And no equipment helped until I reached "Hammerhead" ship level.

---
    In game signatures:
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    And follow the way

• NY does not spawn any high-lvl NPCs.

The enemy lvl in the original FL systems has not been changed in CF.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I saw Sabres with own eyes. More than, they have above 10k HP or even 20k. Xenos are in Falcons, etc. If you want to I can take a few screenshots that encounters have mid and end-game ships. That happens everywhere in sirius sector now, not just their original places.

---
    In game signatures:
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    And follow the way

• The NPC lvl still is not different unless you are in MP with a pretty high player lvl already since spawns and mission difficulty in MP is based on player level.

In SP in worst case instead of a light fighter the game might spawn a heavy one.... still with a low level.

Especially during the story campaign, there is not even the chance for different NPCs or different NPC levels to spawn.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Well that's what I see from the very beginning:

Files

• screen4.jpg

(369.48 kB, downloaded 7 times, last: )
    • screen5.jpg

(364.1 kB, downloaded 7 times, last: )
    • screen6.jpg

(346.69 kB, downloaded 7 times, last: )
    • screen7.jpg

(395.4 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )
    • screen9.jpg

(392.66 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )
    • screen1.jpg

(277.84 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )

---
    In game signatures:
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    And follow the way

Edited 2 times, last by [BC]afGun: Added Sabre in NY screenshot ().

• The money needed between missions is not much actually,

For me it was way too much. I like to play the campain because of the campain and not like grinding in MP ;) That's where the fun comes from in my experience. Also, as soon as we come to the new campains, there is never an issue with player level or money. That I did enjoy.

The player value drops because ships are not 100% refunded when selling. They lose worth when used. Just like cars in RL.

This introduces a long term motivation to actually play the game and earn new ships instead of just switching between ships instandly.

I understand that and I do think that is one of the best changes for MP. On SP, where you need money for new player level, don't like it but I do understand that it is hard to change between SP and MP.

The fact that new ships come with essential components preinstalled always existed this way in FL.

Let's compare that to you shilds and thrusters. Ships have the preinstalled but also have the ones from your old ship in your inventory. For scanners and tractor beams, this is not the case. You have the preinstalled ones but the ones from your old ship you did upgrade are gone. So that doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: I solved the issue. When you select a new ship, you can press the "transfer" button to move those over to the new ship!!!

And of course you do not start neutral with everyone because that is what you are supposed to figure out if that is your desire. It would be absolutely boring gameplay with there are not challenges in the game.

I don't think so. When I enter a room, full of people who don't know me, I am neutral to everyone until I start to interact with them. The challenges come when you need the reputation for good ships, weapons, equipment, etc.

Trading is killed to the maximun with the dynamic economy. I like the idea trade routes are not always the same but then a list on where best price for sell and buy is would be good without having to dock to planets who sell these items to check the price. It just takes away so much time and that is another reason why this mod is so much new player unfriendly. If I have 1 hour time to play the game, I don't want to check 30min for good prices and then do 3 trade routes before I have to go offline.

I think the gamemod has enormus potential to attrackt way more players that it does in current state (if that is actually a goal). Right now I have the feeling it is very hard at the beginning but as soon as you are done with some stuff the challenge is dropping fast. So with having old systems be more appealing to new players and then making the new ones harder and harder, the point where that turn comes is going more to the later stages.

But that's just my input on it, happy there is actually a mod with new stuff for the game =)

I don't think so. When I enter a room, full of people who don't know me, I am neutral to everyone until I start to interact with them. The challenges come when you need the reputation for good ships, weapons, equipment, etc.

I absolutely disagree with you about that. Even if you think you are on good terms with everybody in a bar... as soon you launch into space a pirate will try to rob you. That is how stuff does work and that how stuff makes sense. It was this way in the original game and I see absolutely no reason why it should be any different in a mod.

Trading is killed to the maximun with the dynamic economy. I like the idea trade routes are not always the same but then a list on where best price for sell and buy is would be good without having to dock to planets who sell these items to check the price. It just takes away so much time and that is another reason why this mod is so much new player unfriendly. If I have 1 hour time to play the game, I don't want to check 30min for good prices and then do 3 trade routes before I have to go offline.

But.... such a list exists. The game shows you the prices of the goods for all locations you have already visited. It does not look player unfriendly to me when the game by default shows you where to sell the goods for profit. And this dynamic economy even created trade opportunities which would never exist otherwise.

Accessibility is certainly nice... but it is not everything. It does not serve a game or mod well when everything is easy because then it very soon starts being boring and players will leave. If traiding is always the same stuff day in, day out players get bored very fast, not only by the trading itself but also by other aspects of the game. Why explore when you already know where the best trade route is? Why cooperate with other players with you already all the knowledge about at static environment?

I have developed this mod over 19 years based on player feedback and observation how players react on features. It will never be possible to satisfy everybody especially when when there are different points of view which result in the different game modes (SP vs MP). The MP point of view always will have priority since CF from day one was a MP community project and for that stuff like a dynamic economy or a dynamic universe was a mandatory feature which the vast majority of players wanted and enjoyed.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Well that's what I see from the very beginning:

That is very unlikely what you see from the very beginning.

What I see on these images is a fully equipped Titan and a char which certainly has net worth that would in theory result in a player lvl of well over 30. Seeing lvl 12 or lvl 19 enemies when your own level already is that high is absolutely nothing unusual.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I guess I understood now. Escape pods. I sold of them in prison stations. But wasn't so haste for upgrades. Wanted to just slowly but steadily explore. As a resault accumulation of money increased the level faster than the ship and weapons were upgraded.

In other words, the mod punishes newcomers for trying to accumulate million-anoter credits instead of constant upgrading.

Anyway I created a special new character for SP.

Here we go: 5k+ HP, 7 level of guns. Still unbeatable and almos instantly deadly even for defender (guess how I learnd it).

And by the way, one of the screnshots above is not a Titan. Just Barracuda.

P.S.

Seeing lvl 12 or lvl 19 enemies when your own level already is that high is absolutely nothing unusual.

But that was unusial for me. For all 20 years of playing this game I never used godmode or kind of anywhere - that tells me something.

To clarify: while mission difficulties relatively the same as Vanilla, the random encounters exceed with HP\shield parameters from 2 to 4 times for just created character. There is a chance to being stuck in base, because of insta-kill by NPC when undocking. Or constant chance to be instantly killed while tradeline\cruise disruption. For a beginner in NY it's a serious problem.

Anyway, if the increase the threshold of entry was initially planned, then I have no questions.

Files

• screen4.jpg

(380.14 kB, downloaded 2 times, last: )
    • screen3.jpg

(296.7 kB, downloaded 4 times, last: )

---
    In game signatures:
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    And follow the way

Edited 2 times, last by [BC]afGun ().

• I absolutely disagree with you about that. Even if you think you are on good terms with everybody in a bar... as soon you launch into space a pirate will try to rob you. That is how stuff does work and that how stuff makes sense. It was this way in the original game and I see absolutely no reason why it should be any different in a mod.

And I am fine with that, I just think it would be cool to choose from the beginning, in wich bar you start ;) Like you start neutral to everyone but then have to decide, where to dock and start stuff and that will give you your starting reputation. Like right now, start with liberty as friends but why not start to be friends with corsairs or mollys or who every and then get hostile to their enemies (I hope it makes sense how it is explained).

But.... such a list exists.

Where? The only "list" I see is the one when I click the cargo and then it shows me the prices on the planets I have been to. That is not the list I am talking about.
    What I am talking about is:
    A button somewhere (if it is in your player Info or cargo info (without having cargo loaded!) where it says like: trade routes and you click it and you see all good and all buy/sell prices of planets you have visited so far).

Right now - as far as I figured out - you have to have the cargo inside your ship (or be at the trader) and then you can click the cargo and then have a list of sell/buy prices of places you have visited. And that is very time intensive because this is exactly what I wrote above, you need to go around every day and gather all 57 tradegoods to check what prices are up now and it will waste a lot of time. So if you have the list I have mentioned above somewhere I would be happy to have a hint on where to find it.

dynamic economy or a dynamic universe was a mandatory feature

As said before, I don't dislike the dynamic economy, I just dislike the fact that there is no list that shows the prices for each tradegood on traders you have visited.

So, day 1 you login, press "traderoutes" and see, hey today best option i know so far is trade construction mashinery from Brandenburg Border Station to Planet New London.

Day 2 you login and, press "traderoutes" and figure out, it is opticals from Planet Malta to Planet Junyo.

Just for example obviously.

So everyday, you have to go different paths. And everyday you have to check if that path is a good option because it might be way too long istance or way too hard enemies in that sector or what ever. I don't see where that is becoming boring. Boring is to gather all tradegoods everyday for hours to see where best traderoute for you is and then you have to log off because your free time is gone.

As said, if there is a list I am happy to get a hint on where to find it.

The MP point of view always will have priority since CF from day one was a MP community project

I like that also and should alwys be the focus. If you see it from a new player perspective, game should be easy to understand when joining and match the skill level. For me, the beginning is way harder than the "end". Once you have a good ship, weapons, equipment etc. it is not that hard anymore but the way to that point is hard ;) I would say a little bit more soft (or more details how to get stronger) at the beginning and a little bit harder at the "end" is where I could see it.

Would love to see more players on the server =) Am just trying to give some feedback how it looks to a new player in (almost) 2024 to join this gamemod ;)

• TropX ... your interest related to dynamic economy is for singleplayer or multiplayer? ... First case have somewhat limited possibilities, but second one have few interesting possibilities including trading opportunities for black market gods :) . Changes to the mod are unlikely, but I can give you few gaming tips if interested.

That mentioned "list" of course exists, but tricky part is that is available only for clan members :cool: ... in my case it was |TSH| clan trading database. However every player can make own one.