Freelancer Lore

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by dented_ship.

• Heya all,

I was wondering if there are people willing to discuss the lore in the Freelancer universe. I haven't returned to this game for a while now and at the time I didn't actually spend too much time listening to the rumors, or reading the news threads and descriptions in-game. Of course, I did, as I am sure most of you did, experience the thrill of discovery when finding the Hispania for the first time, but there are a lot of much more subtle things that I missed. For example, Sigma-17 turned out to be quite a revelation, discovering the connection between the Alien Organisms and Cardamine. There was one particular rumor which caught my attention. One of the Samura farmers on Kurile said that the corporate scientists found that the planet once had a rich and complex ecosystem, which was gradually influenced and transformed on a genetic level by the AO's. Other rumors described genetic changes in the farmers themselves which were consistent with the ones found in the Outcasts, after prolonged use of Cardamine. This led me to suspect that the AO's might not be a naturally occurring phenomenon in Sirius at all. I have a hypothesis that they might be similar to the Protomolecule from S. A. Corey's novel series. They are biological devises, made by the Dom'Kovash, for the purpose of hijacking and transforming foreign ecologies, repurposing them for yet unknown function. This is consistent with DK focus on biotechnology, as observed in the case of the Nomads in the vanilla game and in the way they are imagined in CS.

What do you think ? If you are at all interested in that sort of speculation, that is. :D By the way, does anyone know if there is a full database with the recorded rumors from the game ?

"Life piled on life

Were all too little, and of one to me

Little remains: but every hour is saved

From that eternal silence, something more,

A bringer of new things; and vile it were

For some three suns to store and hoard myself,

And this gray spirit yearning in desire

To follow knowledge like a sinking star,

Beyond the utmost bound of human thought."

~ Ulysses

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Edited 2 times, last by Cogwork Scholar ().

• Of course, I did, as I am sure most of you did, experience the thrill of discovery when finding the Hispania for the first time, but there are a lot of much more subtle things that I missed.

Well, it was one of the reasons why I loved the flak out of Freelancer when I was a kid. I used to be big on the lore back then. Well, if you haven't played CF campaign, I'm sure you have more discoveries ahead.

Also one of the things I found strange... the FL campaign doesn't even touch much of those systems. We only get to explore the Omicrons if we want to during freeplay sections.

As for AOs being a Dom'Kavash creation? I wouldn't put it past them. From the other side, there's also Cardamine, and Planet Carinea's biosphere. Did DK have anything to do with them? Were planets Malta and Carinea Dom'Kavash testing grounds where they played with genetic engineering/biotech? Or were they always like that?

I also won't be surprised if CODENAME weapons were also humans experimenting with alien tech. Besides, what wrecks are they mostly found on? Imperial Rheinland Navy - IIRC it was Rheinland expedition that dug up Nomads. Outcasts and Corsairs - I mean, the guys pretty much live next door to Nomads. Bounty Hunters - likely took theirs as trophies or dug some up on their own.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• In wiki here on portal there is a try to expand little lore of CF mod for newly added systems and explain also some differencies between vanilla and CF (most popular Freeport 7 location :) ).

btw, interesting that about AOs, FL universe is so great for these smaller or bigger details.

• Well, Ajay, as it turns out, our speculations have been confirmed. :D This is applicable by extension to AO's, based on the connection between them and Cardamine from Sigma -17.

Screenshot (456).png

I can only say, LET THE SPICE FLOW! :D

Screenshot (457).png

"Life piled on life

Were all too little, and of one to me

Little remains: but every hour is saved

From that eternal silence, something more,

A bringer of new things; and vile it were

For some three suns to store and hoard myself,

And this gray spirit yearning in desire

To follow knowledge like a sinking star,

Beyond the utmost bound of human thought."

~ Ulysses

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Edited 3 times, last by Cogwork Scholar ().

• I can only say, LET THE SPICE FLOW!

But yeah, I think it's p much established that the Sirius Edge Worlds are full of stuff left over from Dom'Kavash. What I really like from CF is that we actually get to know a bit more about Dom'Kavash and what happened to them.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".