How to Change Prisons Background Music

There are 14 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• Hi Guys! Due to personal preferences the game is almost flawless except for some of the Environments background music which is a bit jarring to my ears and not very lore friendly, like the Great Escape movie music PLAYING OVER AND OVER AND OVER again when you are in a Prison. I mean, I get the idea, super fun! But after exactly the 2nd loop begins it is grating, annoying and gets me out of the mood of playing Freelancer with the Crossfire mod. I mostly play Single Player and do not care if it will break when I update the game , because I never do once the patcher downloads all single player files. Was looking at all the .wav files but cant seem to find that particular piece of music, which is for me the worst offender. Would rather have silence or the classical vanilla eerie music in the background. Any ideas which file is the culprit? under what folder?

• If there’s one thing that the OP does is to warn others to not modify, delete or add specific files in the game. Mainly because making one slip up can crash the entire thing. Plus I believe it is against the Terms and conditions that was made. Just mute the background music in the audio tabs and play music you want from YouTube with headphones ;)

L+ Ratio

• Well I dont think they own the copyright to play the Music Track of a Movie and many other mp3s in there for several well known artists.

All I want is to mute or change a specific set of songs.

It is a bit annoying to me and finally found after some hours the culprit song for the prison background.

It is a .utf file which VLC can play without issues, not all of them are audio, but the one called "prison.utf" is indeed the one assigned to the prisons.

I replaced it without issues with one of the ambient.utfs in the audio durectory, one that plays some interesting lore compliant or at least modern enough to my tastes.

I think you can alter practically all .utf files and replace them with others without issues as long as they are sound based, but that goes beyond what I want to do, mod is pretty good as it is right now and just wanted the non futuristic music out of it.

I mean, more power to people if they enjoy that of course, but nothing wrong in altering some music files for your own personal enjoyment.

Cheers!

• As a small sidenote to this, some of the .utf files have a lot of amazing tracks that I have never heard before in game and are quite moody and fitting to the setting, wonder which places have some of these, there is even a nice vocal song of a lady singing a capella that I enjoy a lot.

Have not progressed much in the game, and last time I played crossfire was back in 2016, so a lot of music is new to me 8)

• Crossfire has great music indeed, but as Lord Rayden has suggested, you can just disable it and put your own music in the background with the AIMP player (aimp.ru), you can even download the YouTube plugin from their website and put YT playlists links that converts them to mp3 -> it's an awesome feature ;) (that is if you don't want to listen to the CF background music of course).

(NOT an advertisement -> just a suggestion, hehe)

Other than that, just enjoy the mod. ^ ^

Edited once, last by ILIYAN ().

• Well I dont think they own the copyright to play the Music Track of a Movie and many other mp3s in there for several well known artists.

Well, I don't think you don't understand the concept of obtaining licenses for use in non-profit projects. As a matter of fact there is just one specific track that I am not 100% sure if I meet the requirements for usage (the answer I got when I asked was a bit unclear).

The music that comes with the mod is not meant to be played outside the mod. Good to know now that VLC simply plays that stuff even-though its not a compatible file format. That means I will have to encrypt these files now and update all that stuff asap. I take the terms under which I am allowed to use stuff pretty seriously.

And as such I am also taking it pretty seriously under which terms I distribute software. What I am not able and not willing to do is give support to people which have edited or want to edit the software I have released. I can not give support because I can not know based on what people expect me to give support (the mod I have released OR the issues they have caused by editing my mod). I don't want to give support because I absolutely don't want to encourage people to mess around with files and then get banned or start crashing the server. I give a damn about comments like "but I only did it in SP" because I have heard this crap often enough just to find out that people despite only having "edit the SP" ended up trying how cool it is to join the server with edited files (either on purpose or by simply not thinking about these edits when joining the server).

There is a clear license agreement when installing the mod and this is for two reasons. To protect players of this community and to protect my valuable time from people which mess up files.

You probably think now "but what could go wrong when I edit music?". Well, I'd like to share my perspective as creator of this mod.

UTF files are no media files. UTF is a file container and as such it is potentially containing vital settings and assets required to run the game. The game makes use of several hundred thousands of UTF nodes to store data. The Audio folder is no exception to that. There is a good bunch of files in there that if edited or replaced would get you banned instantly from the server (because there is a risk of your crashing the server) and there is a hand full of files that if edited or replaced would cause the game to stop working completely.

I provide the mod as it is (that includes eastereggs like the prison music). Players can give feedback or make suggestions and most long term members might confirm that I take care of such issues if possible and reasonable.

Final comment from me on this matter: there are no mp3s (FL can not reliably play such)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Ahh I see ...

Well you might not believe me, but yes, I only use SP, I live in Venezuela and internet is pretty bad down here, can only do stuff via VPNs and then mostly to download games and mods.

Thanks for letting me know you will encrypt the files, I just need a working copy of Single Player to play when there is no connection (90% of the itme) so I guess I will make a backup of game as it is and play like this for the time being.

You can of course provide for people like me server compliant alternate music files that can be used in lieu of the originals? some of the non lore music is quite jarring to the mood of the game, but then again it is your mod and it would be a hassle, so just a suggestion.

And though you might not believe me, I truly have 0% interest in Multiplayer. I mostly play the game to relax on my lappy and some of the choices people suggest, while good are simply fixed by removing the specific utf file and supplanting it with another.

fact is, I have mixed your mod with other music/ship mods without issues as well, same as editing some variables to make sme ships better or tune them down as well, but that is beyond this post, but if you want to add a layer of decription to utf files just to avoid any legal complication it would be an extra layer of protection for nothing. All of that music is easily found elsewhere in in much more open and friendlier formats.

But also amazing mod man, perhaps it is language but I was not meaning to imply I want to pirate it or redistribute it?

Just wanted to change some of the ingame music without resorting ot external software. Also its only very specific music, so having to MUTE all music for a few tracks is honestly a bit of a hammer to crack an eggshell approach, since I like almost all music of the mod, except some of the ones that I mentioned before are simply sticking out like a sore thumb in a manicured finger party haha.

So if someone reading this can remove all non futuristic music off the game in a mod for crossfire it would be amazing, though I know it is wishful thinking, I still dont know why Star Wars or Danger Zone music is in the game either, it is a bit of a wonky musical aesthetic but that falls on issues of taste which is a very broad zone.

Hope everyone has an awesome day and a big hug from South America.

• The music that comes with the mod is not meant to be played outside the mod. Good to know now that VLC simply plays that stuff even-though its not a compatible file format. That means I will have to encrypt these files now and update all that stuff asap. I take the terms under which I am allowed to use stuff pretty seriously

When you have to touch theese files anyway, is there a chance you can pitch down the volume of this specific prison-song?
    At the moment it sounds like double the volume of any other sound in the game.

• Well you might not believe me, but yes, I only use SP, I live in Venezuela and internet is pretty bad down here, can only do stuff via VPNs and then mostly to download games and mods.

Saludos de Peru :) Same problems with internet here, only way to speed up downloads is using Hotspot Shield VPN. But bad ping times makes most games unplayable. Only way for me is to play over cellphone-connection, there I get a good ping.

• When you have to touch theese files anyway, is there a chance you can pitch down the volume of this specific prison-song?
    At the moment it sounds like double the volume of any other sound in the game.

I agree with this as well, one of the main reasons i hate that song besides being repetitive and boring is the fact it warbles out from the speakers due to non normalized audio peaks.

There are several pieces of software that can normalize abnormal audio peaks on audio files to make them more smooth, it shows it is either a bad rip or a very poor bitrate copy of the original song, I noticed this distortion during my trip into the audio folder on several of the .wav files used for some of the songs and voiceovers as well, some pretty big offenders in there.

Levelator works wonder for this for example, which is something a lot of people use , specially for youtube.

3000-2170_4-197650.html

• Saludos de Peru :) Same problems with internet here, only way to speed up downloads is using Hotspot Shield VPN. But bad ping times makes most games unplayable. Only way for me is to play over cellphone-connection, there I get a good ping.

Hi! I do not bother with online gaming due to the irregularity of the service where I live, even 3G/4G is unreliable and we all have quotas /data caps on them , so yeah I only play single player to relax, specially when the power goes out and I run on battery and the power I get from a small generator when battery dies.

Hence why I truly dislike some of the bundled songs of the mod, they are truly atrocious to the overall feeling, my only complaint of Crossfire 2.0 to be honest, besides SOME (not all ) of the music it is actually a pretty good mod and the single player campaign is quite enjoyable with the added enhancements on combat ai and availability of ships.

Be well!

• If you want to change the music of some station/prison/ planet , go to Data/Universe/Systems/?Sys?/Rooms ,

open ?Sys?Bar.ini file and you will see the entry for the music at this station. Then go to Data/Audio/Music.ini , and

there you can change the music fot that station, or you can append new music by converting audio file in the proper format ,

and then script it in the music.ini file, and then change the line in ?Sys?Bar.ini file.

Over and Out

National Security General Santiago Llorens

• these files will be overwritten by the CF launcher

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I don't know :) , my mod is without update launcher, that's why i presumed he can do this.

Of cource, he can rename the BASE ini files, so the launcher cannot override them, but that is just an

option maybe for single player mode only?

• ...and what gives you the impression that renaming the base ini files will work?

You are aware that the base and system settings refer to exactly these original files and that if they are renamed the game will start crashing?

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,