Crossfire - Blackstar update

There are 63 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• If you plan to make this new faction a battle hungry faction, which is having wars all the time (past and present) this could really fit in, in like they are fighting that much that even the jump gates are damaged from all the stuff happening

"Only the strongest will survive!"

• space magic

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Right now I am not sure if I release Blackstar in the way I originally intended.

Since I started working on it the discussions I observed made me think about what to put into that update.

Sure, the story content in the way I originally planned is a key component but especially in the past weeks more topics came up.

There is the issue with the audio files that players started to edit/replace and even used in other ways that would clearly violate the usage permissions of these tracks. This is an issue that I need to address no matter if I want to or not. I noticed a somewhat disrespectful behavior from some players in terms of what they think they are allowed to do. That unfortunately forces me to put some extra work in protecting and redesigning stuff to avoid that I eventually lose permissions/licenses which in the end could even result in being forced to take the mod offline.

It is a situation that sucks... one that means extra work to be done... one that isn't easily resolved.

A few weeks ago I announced that I would do changes to the way how audio files are distributed and how they are protected. The feedback on Discord about this change was harsh. I don't want to go into detail but would at least like to mention at this point that the most criticized part of the mod during that discussions was replaced by me at the same day and until today nobody even seem to have noticed it. Apparently the issue that day was a non-issue.

There are multiple other factors to consider atm.

e.g. we have a roleplay discussion which contains a bunch of idea and also covers a few problems to solve.

It certainly wouldn't hurt if at least some of the stuff can be done. I will try to discuss the RP related stuff next week and give a bit feedback from my point of view.

In the end I think that some changes can be done and should be done even if it involves even more work.

I also have a few mod related issues that I personally want to change. Stuff that not originally was part of the Blackstar update.

There are a few improvements Id like to do on existing content. e.g. retexturing the coalition stations (its overdue).

There also is a very very very large amount of visual improvements that I want to do... but currently need to wait in order to get my hands on the required resources.

Right now I am in the situation that I would want to do changes but require other stuff to be finished first. Other stuff I could instantly release but it would make future updates more tricky if released now.

I am in the situation where I can not really say if it is better to release everything bit by bit (with the consequence that doing updates is harder and that for the time being players have to deal with difficulties) or if I delay the release and hope that I can get hands on everything that I need in order to release something like a big overhaul for the mod (at the risk that this delay is getting pretty long).

Right now it is incredible hard to make a decision on what is best (as certain stuff simply is not in my hands).

A third option would be to cut features and put them on ice for some time. Dunno.

Maybe right now its best not to make a decision and just move forward with the work. Sometimes the path to go gets clearer when you walk a few steps.

One thing I know for sure is that all of the stuff on my ToDo list at some point have to be done... in one or another way. I also know that I will need help getting everything done. The end result I have in mind (no matter how it is reached) involve more work than I will be able to handle.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Hmmmm...

I don't even know why they have a problem with the audio, the Crossfire mod wasn't made so that you can listen to its music, but to play it through. If they don't like the music, they can easily disable it and put their own in the background like I do, because I fight all of the time I want to listen to something that pumps me up... but anyway, to go into such lengths as to mess around with the game files for the music while there is YouTube or free radios with such an awesome music, is beyond me.

You did the right thing as to protect the licenses and people should know better when to respect other people's hard work.

As for the Roleplay, I'd actually like to apologize because I feel like I have unconsciously rushed you into even more work that you really don't have to do, because if people really want to engage in RP they really will... yes, there are really well developed Roleplay 'systems' in other places that keep the people in, but it all comes down to the people. Not to mention that this game is already too old and people just moved on to other games or just moved on in Real Life and those who stayed have already found their 'homes' in other servers/communities.

But what my take on all of this (Lost Fleets, Backstars...) whatever update might be, I do know (myself included) that people love new things, but sooner or later when they get to experience them... they will already expect even more new things to experience and won't be satisfied in the long term, only in the short-term when they do get to experience these new things. So, in order to keep people in... it must be something dynamic, hence my "Roleplay" thread so they are constantly engaged in 'something', that could very well apply to Singleplayer as well, but it mustn't be a Campaign update, because whey they finish it... it's 'satisfaction over' time, so it must be something dynamic... and remember, small things matter the most because it's what people look at all of the time... especially if they can be their own 'gods' in-game. Some new awesome paint job, particular clothes (to affiliation), faster way of travel... these type of stuff.

I'll give you an example with Grand Theft Auto V, can you imagine that people prefer the Singleplayer the most is because for all of the mods out there, like... using REAL cars (and their brand) instead of fake ones, real locations (Hollywood instead of Vinewood, Beverly Hills instead of... I actually don't know what was the fake name) and the like? But yet there are also a lot of players Online because they keep and keep on adding new things and the Roleplay system is well developed so that it keeps people in.

What I think is this:
    1) Singleplayer -> You have the countless mods that improve sooooooo much the gameplay and you can literally be a 'god' in-game... like do whatever you want, teleport etc.
    2) Online -> Well developed Roleplay system and keep on adding new things that keeps the people in

You have both the 'small things' and the constant new things that are being added which keeps the people always satisfied. Something like the Social Networks (Facebook / Instagram etc.) with the constant likes and comments which engages the dopamine levels in the brain that brings the satisfaction to the people.

So, no matter how well the software is developed... these things that satisfy the people are what is going to keep them in.

Bottom line dude, don't rush with these harsh deadlines or rushing into making decisions. If you want to add new things to the mod, awesome... just TAKE YOUR TIME (writing in capital letters to get the attention :D ) and if there is anything that WE (the community) can do to help, just SAY the word and we will help with what we can.

But yes, don't rush... just take your time and if there are more pressing matters (like RL stuff), always take care of those first... the mod will always be here and the people who enjoy it will also be here and we as a Community are always here to help with whatever we can, just say the word.

PS: Now I'll get some angry reactions from people who want the new things as quickly as possible.

• I pretty much agree with ILIYAN with what ha said. Take your time, make it better and maybe get the smaller fixes now done, since people will most likely notice them and it will feel gooood :)

I'm also unaware about the audio discussion. I'm not sure tho why people have a problem with it. Are they aware of the fact that they are making additional work for you? Maybe put an announcement or something and clarify some issues that pop-ed up so people avoid doing that stuff?

• just to be clear I dont mind much work... the results matter

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• just to be clear I dont mind much work... the results matter

I understand and appreciate your hard work man, but unnecessary one isn't productive for anyone but who am I to tell you something. If we can somehow help you, I guess feel free to ask

• AS OP is the brain of crossfire, of course I think he should take all the time he needs to engineer whatever he likes. I mean, there's noone that knows this mod better than him, so we should trust him on this.

I'm also unaware about the audio discussion. I'm not sure tho why people have a problem with it.

I think there're two discussions, one is the audio volume level at some bases, other is the no longer secured audio files. I wished both could be fixed if possible.

• I agree with both opinions, just stay with the 'flow' and don't rush, I will quote one of my most favorite national sayings:

"Бързата работа, срам за майстора" - "The quick work, shame for the maestro" (yeah it sounds best in bulgarian, I know... lol)

Also, too much of anything is unhealthy, so... - stay with the flow, dude.

• I dont have sound problems. Is better to wait with updates relese when all your ideas are in mod cus new ideas can change your mind for something, I mean you work on some new stuffs with story and is fine, but dont rush with RP. Lets see what ideas will work for MP. We have to bring some new things to hold the interest on mod, but we dont have to be radical only to get some new people. I like license choices now, but some improofment maybe. I like the idea to personalize of your ship. Maybe some rewards to play your role as licence holder, but no money cos we have enough ways to do cash. Maybe some sort of level of your RP, like im a smuggler when i play my RP to smuggle things i will earn points of rep like smuggler when i hold some score of RP points i will get colors for my ship or something else (maybe this is for the tread of ILIYAN for ideas?(). Crossfire is like trademark for Freelancer after all this years on top mods.

Break the chains of life! Fly freely!

• I like this idea of personalizing the ship and the RP part, but I think the Freelancer mod won't really allow for a lot of stuff to be changed. Of course OP knows the best about this

• Yep... it's all about the little things.

But you're also correct... it depends on what the engine allows of course, though it still amazes me what OP achieved with the CF mod, surpassing the limit.

• The redesign of the coalition stations unfortunately required the recreation of the station models from the scratch.

The old models were already triangulated and that not even in a good way... so working with them would have been a big issue.

Only solution... new 3d models.

2 station models are already textured again... 7 are still work in progress

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• the progress isnt good actually

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• it falls into the categories: disappointment, frustration, demotivation and a generally "why do I actually bother to do this?"

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I believe you that it is frustrating and everything but most was really appreciate your work and dedication. I can't speak on behalf of all but I would say almost everyone does it. You really did a great job with CF and made it live this long. I know it means probably nothing, but I wanna say once again: Thank you for your hard work and dedication over the years man :)