Star Citizen - "Incompetence And Mismanagement On A Galactic Scale" - Forbes

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Well, I have now read full forbes article: Exclusive: The Saga Of 'Star Citizen,' A Video Game That Raised $300 Million—But May Never Be Ready To Play

... it's not much good reading. But the fact is that SC development is taking too much time :mellow:

• The typical problems which almost also ruined Freelancer.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I remember when the very first announcement of this "project" was done. A new Chris Roberts game.

As a Wing Commander fan who also enjoyed Privateer and LOVED to play Starlancer/Freelancer I was happy about that very first rendered video. I even had the chance to chat with Ben Lesnik (the community manager/PR guy back then) about it that day and share the information here at the Portal. Ive seen the positive feedback from the fans... the many questions about the project... and an official poll about what players actually would what this game to be.

1-2 weeks later the offical livestream with Chris Roberts started... an event many players anticipated.

Unfortunatly this livestream also killed my hopes instantly.

Instead creating the game players wanted (based on the official poll) a totally different kind of game was announced. A kind that Chris Roberts failed to deliver 10 years before that livestream, but this time even bigger. I still don't know why they even bothered to ask players about which kind of game they want if they never had the intention to go for these wishes. Was it ignorance or delusion?

Even worse.... that guy had the nerves the belittle the efforts of other developers which kept the genre running while he was absent from the gaming industry (for 10 years). It felt like he was blaming others while he actually did nothing during that time. That was followed by megalomaniac comments about saving PC gaming. Did PC gaming need such a messiah? Absolutely not. Did the Scifi genre need a Chris Roberts? Well, there have been plenty of Scifi games that were released during his absense. Evochron, Eve online, Darkstar One, Starshatter, Jumpgate, Black Prophecy, Shattered Worlds, Battlestar Galactica, Nexus, Tarr Chronicles, Wing Commander Arena, Dark Horizon, Black Prophecy. The genre was not in such a bad shape as he claimed.

And then he made the announcement how all of the stuff that he wanted should be financed and I remembered why exactly he lost his company and why Microsoft had to step in in order to finally bring the Freelancer development back on its track. Of course no publisher would give him the money. He failed to create his last game 10 years ago and since that produced pretty bad movies. His only chance to raise money was to find enough people blindly believing in this project. Most preferably people that did not know about his past failures.

Yeah, I think that livestream... or more specifically the arrogance of this person on the screen ruined it for me.

A positive glimpse of hope vanished and got replaced by a very sceptical point of view. Maybe the right decision, maybe a wrong one that needs to be corrected somewhen in the distant future.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• So it have not much changed, only few years have passed ;). I now play "Beta" ED Odyssey and there exist at least real hope that it will be mostly pleasant experience sometime around Autumn this year.

• the year has changed

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• When you know in what you get into, i see no problem backing this project.

If there is a 1% chance that this game will ever be released and will not be a bug fest, then why not? After all this years there is STILL no Freelancer 2 out there. Elite Dangerous is close but not there yet and probably never will.

Best Regards / Grüße

Aldenmar Odin

• I think ED went with the more clever approach. Releasing content step by step and improving upon it. No endless discussions about if the game is a scam because there is a game players can enjoy for years and funding is based on players... not on hopes.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• They have enough assets to put a playable story game together but instead go for more paid content and real life architect reviewed ships :D

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis