My first impression of Crossfire mod in singleplayer

There are 12 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SilverFox.

• After playing this mod for around 6-7 hours here is my short list of pros and cons.

Pros

The universe look great.

A lot more variations in equipment, ships, weapons.

Widescreen 16:9 work great. Working ok with 21:9 ultra-wide, but is missing part of screen, but thats a trade-off I accept for now.

Nice sound effects.

Cons

NPC enemies is damage sponges, and can take a lot of damage, so much that it can be frustrating how long time it take to kill one enemy. It's on the border of not being fun.

Money: Player earn money insanely fast in this mod, after a few hours I had more than a million. For this I can buy almost all the best ships, weapons and equipment in liberty space.
    Ship progression and to buy better ships, weapons, and equipment was what Freelancer was about, with this mod I feel like Im skipping through a lot of content in a short time.

Many more enemies attacking me all over the place, but Im not sure about this since it is a long time since I played Freelancer.

Who is this mod for?

I think this mod is more for the "serious" player and not so much for "casual" players. The reason for this is that you need to spend some time learning to kill stuff.

Right now Im cruising around in god mode, got so annoyed by all the attacks and that it take forever to kill anything. So i'm just exploring looking for better ship and weapons. the stuff I start with dont do much.

Edited 2 times, last by xxx78 ().

Who is this mod for?

The members of this community. Learning how to fight in Singleplayer is a good way to prepare for the multiplayer.

We have a good amount of guides showing how to get better.

Of course you also have more money. This helps to get started... to get better ships, better weapons, better equipment.

Players have the choice if they want to use it or go the hard way.

Later on when the top tier ships and weapons cost multiple millions you will be glad of having the money.

Maybe its a bit early to judge considering that you have +40 missions to play.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Hi! xxx78

just wondering what ship are you in at the moment?

Also I dont think you should be missing part of the screen on widescreen format!

Have you ticked the box "Adjust to desktop resolution" in the Launcher Options - accessed by the gear icon at bottom right hand of the Launcher Window?

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• Hi! xxx78

just wondering what ship are you in at the moment?

Also I dont think you should be missing part of the screen on widescreen format!

Have you ticked the box "Adjust to desktop resolution" in the Launcher Options - accessed by the gear icon at bottom right hand of the Launcher Window?

In normal widescreen I dont lose anything (16:9), but in ultra-wide 21:9, there is missing elements on top and below, its most noticeable in bars and shops. Not sure about when in space. Yeah I have that option enabled. When I set monitor to 16:9 there is no problems.

Edited once, last by xxx78 ().

• Yeah I understand, Im just not interested in multiplayer so I'm unsure if CR is a good choice. Still I find CR interesting but it have like a"grinding" feel to it. I just want to play the story. take some side missions, explore the world, shot the crap out of enemies and have a nice steady progression.

• shot the crap out of enemies

... I can assure you, that later in campaign you will like to have the best possible gear simply beacuse enemies which will be shooting at you will be much stronger as you ever encounterd in vanilla FL. And initial toughness of NPCs (relative) is a good 1st "recomendation" to learn how to fight better. CF mod know to be challenging in SP and you will be not able win every encounter (flee from fight may be sometimes wiser choice).

• see also my comment to that video: here. Money in CF may come fast, but you can lose them easily too :) I use fully equipped VHF with almost the best gear you can have (in multiplayer is little better stuff, which can be produced exclusively in clan bases).

• Hmmm why are you fighting with NPCs like in PvP? :) Rapid fire, CDs, engine kill, etc...

By the way, I would advise not to use missiles in SP campaign. They cost a lot and miss half of the time because most NPCs have countermeasures. Also, with decent class10 guns you can do the same damage in just 1-2 seconds.

• Hmmm why are you fighting with NPCs like in PvP? :) Rapid fire, CDs, engine kill, etc...

:roflmao: .... bcs it works? :zocken: .. and these smooking trails of missiles/torpedo looks good :)

Player earn money insanely fast in this mod, after a few hours I had more than a million.

Still I find CR interesting but it have like a"grinding" feel to it.

How do these 2 statements fit together?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• How do these 2 statements fit together?

They fit together because it seems like the slow natural progression in original game is replaced by a hunt for uber gear to just dear to join a fight. I have just done one random mission and I earned all the cash just by collection escape pods, but I have explored the whole available world for better gear/ships. I never had that feeling in the original game, it was more about the story and just enjoying the game. Now I have to escape fights and look for gear instead. Anyway this is just my experience of the mod, there is nothing wrong with the mod, but maybe it is not for me.