How you discovered FreeLancer

There are 34 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Wanderlust.

• I'm just wondering how you discovered FreeLancer..and probably like me fell in love with the game.

For me it was at a friend's house. He showed me some games he had and FreeLancer was among them.

The first ship I ever destroyed was a Junker. And I still manage to get them on my enemy list everytime.
    After that first play , my friend just gave me the game 'cause he didn't like it.
    and since then I've been playing.

• Read about it just before it came out in a gaming magazine and fell for it. Bought it when it first came out....then only got 2/3 through the story before I got stuck. Tried Multiplayer but there wasn't much of an interest then an I had no clue what to do (then). Layed the game aside for aboout a year, then took it back up. Started the SP from scratch again and still could not get through it. Layed it aside for another year. Finally I took it up again and finally finished the stupid (I really did like it) story and then went on to look at some mods. I didn't try any except for Open Sigle Player. Then I found CF and thought I'd give it a try. And so here I am.

• Had just finished my new comp last summer, and was browsing my online parts stores for some new space sim/RTS/action games to test out the new hardware. I saw FL was relatively cheap, liked the desciption, and bought it. Seems now I've "bought the ranch", since I discovered the multiplayer end, and Crossfire totally transformed the entire experience!

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

• I found Freelancer on a discount shelf at a game store. Turned out to be one of my favorite games and cheap too. lol

Yes Burros Do Bite.

Chars: SMG_Burro and derivatives thereof

SMG Forums

• I picked up freelancer as a part used game when I bought my pc last year. did the single player campaign and open singleplayer then tried a few mods and servers then tried CF and been here since

• I saw a review of it in a gaming magazine, and grabbed it to see what it was like - turned out to be well worth it! :D

After having completed storyline (several times) I got bored with just playing the same thing, and started investigating the mods....(CF has been the best one I've ever seen....)

• Bought it with a game magazine. Discovered that my old SiS onboard graphics couldn't run it, so i've stored it for more than a year. Then i accidentaly broke the cd.. didn't gave much importance since it didn't worked. Then i've bought an GeForce 2 and decided to test some previously non-working game. Looked for it on the stores, didn't find it, so i decided to use my special undercover super-powers and downloaded the image (i had the original one... so.. hmm, well.) Installed, and oh shit, worked perfectly. Completed SP in one day, and the next day i was playin on Colours Elite. The server went down for some days, and i tried another one, the Asgard RPG. Played there for almost a year, then my hd passed away, bought another, didn't had the patience to start over again. Stopped playin for some time, then discovered CF. Decided to reinstall the game, played for some time then my gc, cpu and mem sticks fried. Decided to wait for 1.6 to get another putter, then i got my current one, and here i am. Unless my clan disband and some ppl leave the server, i have no plans of leaving.

• One day as i came home from school, i saw that my bro is sitting @ the PC & playing FL. I was shocked, coz` it was all russian & he was in a location i did never see before. (Yes I`ve played the demo too :D ) So i started to play FL. I played through the story line for a full year. Then i got an i-net connection & started to play ML games. Played on several servers, but none of them were that interesting, coz` i`ve seen everything of the game. I wanted something new, & then i stumbled over LR. I started to test several mods. For a small time i was on Eagle Utopia, but i`ve got bored & then i stumbled over CF. & that`s how i`ve got here.

btw. Acadian: Wrong place for this thread ...

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

Being a Cynic isn't that bad. Either I'm right or I am pleasantly surprised.

My Homepage

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature
    (" )_(" ) to help him multiply, because that's what bunnies do.

• Well ther is nothing much to say about me LaerJet showed me the game allready in CF mode and after i got the game from Laser i played Vanila FL for 3 day`s (maby more dunno but not longer thean a week :D ) then i got the mode working and vas from theat time in CF MP :]

btw:after 2 day`s in MP i maneged to get on the KOS list of The DragonCorps <---funny not :D and after i fighted Blade next day he recruited me to the DragonCOrps :D and since thean i am on CF :]

MY AVATAR IS UNIQUE

From the darkness we come to the darkness we all shall go
    ........................................................................................
    Facilis descencus Averno. Qui non vetat peccare, cum possit, iubet. Sine cruce, sine luce, nihil interit. Pulvis et umbra sumus.

Translation:

The descent to Hell is easy. He who does not forbid sin commands it. Without the cross, without the light, nothing dies. We are but dust and shadows.
    Eve online chars: RavenMcDougal

• I got the game from a friend of mine, he didnt like it...until I got i-net, I played the storyline...about 5 times :D , then I found the CF-mod v 1.4 and played it offline (sadly didnt know that I could play with 56K modem) then, in December 2005 I got DSL, and since then I play almost only Freenancer....cant imagine how wasted my life would be, if this friend didnt give me the game :D:D:D

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers
    For he, today that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother...

• My brother bought this game and never played, i tryed it.....and from then i play it :)
    later ibeen looking for good mods, and find CF on LancersReactor.....

• Bought FL about August 2004, had dial-up and was exploring vanilla ICECREAM. Downloaded small ship mods etc. then i found crossfire 1.4 and downloaded it(took 3hrs :D) i played CF in Single Player for about a week. Then in November(ish) got SDSL and i played CF ever since.

But now i make and test mods :D

Blaster Universe Mod VERY nearly done now.

• FL hmm not the best story but ok
    I was one of the best SL players on this fucking planet once... but then DA decided hey... lets create FL
    we SL players didnt like that idea because we expected tons of cheats and other problems and we all didnt like the mouse movement
    but after i created MoD and SWAT i gave a promise to 6 other guys which were member of MoD
    I said that i will create a clan for them in FL to give them a future after SL is gone... well i kept my promise
    2 months before FL got released BG was created.... 2 weeks after the us release BG had more than 80 members

BG was the first clan with own server... BG was the first clan with own mods (SWAT-Effect-Mod 1.0 and BloodGuard RPG Mod)
    BG owned several servers in the past and had to start over and over again... then i time came where we went from server to server and fought every pirate we found until we came to CHSP where over 70% of the players were pirates
    we started war with all of these and managed to survive and protect the others that were not willing to pay a pirate
    after CHSP got a new mod which we didnt like i took BG, got a server for us... created a mod... and gave other clans the possibility to grow there aswell
    that was the birth of CF

during the last 3 years BG survived over 20 serious clanwars... and destroyed almost the same number of enemy clans
    and now we are here trying to keep peace somehow...

but thats not the reason why im here
    actually i have no real reason... i just have no chance to go back to SL anymore and i took over responsibility over this place

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• i bought the game when it was almost new out i played the story, that took me a couple of months and got bored after playing it post story for a few more weeks.
    after this it just stayed on my HD not played.

then one day at work i was bored of looking for images in google and decided to see what online stuff was about for the games i was playing C&C at the time
    and looked at FL stuff found lancers and got a battleship mod which was fun after i got bored of that and got internet at home tried some mods but didnt like any of them as i tended to just get trounced by other players.

after another period off games i came back to FL went to lancers and found CF 1.5 i played that as a freelancer for a while and lost internet at home (a casualty of a home finance re-structuring)

The day i got internet back at home i loaded FL down loaded CF 1.57 from here and started again freelancer
    for 2 weeks then applied to BG

it is without a doubt the best gamming experiance of my life

• I was shopping in the local games store and said what the hell might as well buy this one 2 (freelancer, first week available in belgium). I played singleplayer, liked it. showed it to a few friends (Lord_Andy, Darth_Kevin, Tha_Vagrant). We decided to play online, after a month or so we came accross a server called 24/7 Bloodguard. Cool name lets play there... We acted like pirates, got friends with a few BG's (killer_queen, arvedui, dragon).
    Fought with them but yeah noobs that we were then, we lost obviously... anyway u know what they say if u can't beat them join them...

Reality hits me thats like 2 and a half years ago... Man i'm getting old...

"We have to face facts, this age has no wish for fighters like us."

Trowa, Episode 25

Forum PIMP since 2004

• well i was donwlaoding some trial versions of games 1 day. FL was 1 of them. after trying it out, it was the best game i had ever tried and i really wanted to buy it. so in September 2003 i finnally got it. i spent almost 2 years playing vanilla FL, even though there were mods for it, i didnt get any. (in fear of wrecking my FL ^^) i actually learned alot of info about the history/factions/systems/ships of FL.

by the end of 2004, i finnaly began to download some mods, and when i got CF, it was the best in the galaxy (literally :D ) after exploring alot of it in SP, i finnaly went into MP, where i have made many friends since. :)

• Well... once upon a time... when I was (?) a kid... I dreamed about space and spaceships... several decades later, I was in a store and saw the promotional video of FL. I kept that name in mind... put it on google... got the Demo... played... got fascinated... bought the CD, played SP... finished the story two or three times... got bored... One day, clicking on the MP button 8o ... afraid of hackers... selected a server (the only one where ppl played in portuguese)... played for a while... got bored... some one told me of Freeport 7 server, moded... wow! whats that, a mode?
    There, got shot (and killed) many times... learned to "play in english" (slang....). One day, last year, some one told me about Crossfire...
    I downloaded that HUGE 1.53 version... At the third day I was co-optated by LP... Btw, When I had to tax the first player... my legs were shaking, not Amos' legs, but the ones of the real guy behind the pirate
    Then, I got addicted to CF and learned to love LP... Since then... well... life is wonderfull.... except for the lag! :P

Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

{LP}Amos and derivatives; {LP}Ivanov{X} from the Altair branch of LP

• one night just after i started work i was talking to PiA_lanky about games . I was looking for a game like one of the first games i ever played. that game was Elite.

Lanky told me he had been playing FL and that i should try it, so i phoned the wife and asked her to see if she could find it on the internet.

two days later i was playing the SP, and loving it. buy this time lanky had found CF so as soon as i finnished the SP i downloaded the mod. took mebout a week to finninsh and then i was in.

That was in November 05 and i have never played a game so long and i carnt see myself leaving anytime soon. thank you Op for CF and thank you PiA for a clan that is like no other. A real clan of new friend that work together. :P

carbine[CFPD]

• Well bout 2 years ago i was given a couple of 'old' 486 machines that were in need of some major work b4 i could even have a PC of my own. I called up my Mad Uncle Ian and told what i had been given and his reply was............ 'SCRAP EM' they are out of date piece's of s***. (his own words) :D
    Then he offered to help me by build a PC out of some old spares that he had and offered to by the other parts we needed for me. Few days l8r and i had a AMD Athlon 2200+ XP machine with old and new bits. He said have a look at some of the games he had and if there was any there i liked i could have them. Sure enough, FL was in there.
    I had never heard of this game b4, cause i was total a PS2 user, but thought hey, give it a try.
    Soon i was totally hooked on it. Done SP mode and soon started to get bored. So what next i thought..... BROADBAND :D
    Got onto a few mods, i.e. WTS world, TNG 2.76 and a few vanilla servers and they were ok.
    Then one day i spotted on TLR, CF1.2. And it looked preety dam good from what i had read so i gave it a try.
    Now many updates l8r on and im still on the same server with what can only be said as the best around with some of the best ppl i have ever meet.
    The rest you all know :)

P.S. Did i mention that i only borrowed the game off him :D '2yrs l8r and i still havent returned it' lmao

<-------ONCE AGAIN ARISING FROM THE ASHES. ONCE MORE TO KICKS THE CSF's ASS TO THE NEXT SECTOR.------>

http://i024.radikal.ru/0810/0b/985e1e888a76.jpg

<-----------------------------------------------DC Phoenix - General [866][865][866]---------------------------------------------->

[21] Intel Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz - Asus P5KC M/B - Ati Sapphire HD3870 512Mb GDDR4 Graphic Card - Ballstic 4x1Gb DDR2 1066Mhz RAM - 1 x 160GB + 1 x 250Gb SATA HDD - 2 x DVD-R/W Drive - Jeantech Orchid 575w PSU - iCute Custom Case - ACER P223w 22" Widescreen Monitor - Wireless Keyboard And Mouse - 5.1 Surround Sound Setup - Take Pride In Your System And Build It Yourself [21]