brainteasers

There are 148 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by (IOC)Wanderer.

• We could do the same with colors, btw and would have a different result. I think the main question here is that there are no other colors then those of the background and foreground. The little squares which appear to be between those two colors are an optical illusion.
    --> this will always be the case, except for those which are blind :)

signature.png

• The google explanation is a bit flawed.
    Because colors dont have just one wavelength, they have a spectrum of wavelengths.
    e.g. The color red has a spectrum of 620–750 nm. Inside this spectrum the color can have mutiple gradients.

The color white contains all other colors therefore its spectrum is 380–750 nm.
    So if a spectrum is enough to definy the color red, why shouldnt be a somewhat larger spectrum be able to definy the color white?

The google definition compares apples to oranges.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Agreed OP apples with oranges

So we have one colour white
    And then there is black

I wonder how an artist thinks about it black&white can create some powerful images.

When I first looked at the brainteaser I thought both were colours :) :) :)

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• nope
    red exists at a wavelength of 620 nm
    it also exists at a wavelenth of 750 nm
    and it exists at a very high amount of wavelegths between these values.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• but it is red.... ;)

if you say that its a different red then you go by my physical explanation which would mean that there is in incredible high number of colors

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Two pupils - a boy and a girl - have just taken meteorological measurements.
    Now they are having a rest on a hill and looking at a cargo train passing by.
    The steam locomotive is puffing and smoking desperately heading uphill. A steady wind, without blasts, is blowing along the railway.

"What wind speed have our measurements shown?" - the boy asked.
    "7 meters per second".
    "Today this is enough for me to determine at which speed the train goes."
    "Is that so?" said the girl in doubt.
    "Just look carefully how the train moves".

The girl reflected for a moment and then understood what the boy meant.
    The pupils saw exactly this picture captured by a painter:

So at what speed did the train go?

• Correct! Trains were slow at that time :)

exact, and when i was a boy i used to go by steam train several times. but for a kid it was still fast :)

A boy has as many sisters as brothers; his sister has two times fewer sisters than brothers.
    So how many sisters and brothers are there in the family?

2 boys and 1 sister.

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• In this case the boys' sister would be the only girl in the family, and thus have no sisters, which is not right. Try again :)
    (Two times fewer means "0.5x", not "x-2".)

i always hated this "x times fewer than" because it is a wrong use of language in math :/

anyway, the result should then be: 4 brothers and 3 sisters :)

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

• Correct :)
    In Russian one can say it without any ambiguity, seems I just don't know the right words in English ?(

Okay, here is another one:

This man needs to ferry a wolf, a goat and a cabbage head in a boat across the river.
    The boat can only take a man and either a wolf, or a goat, or a cabbage head with him. If the wolf and the goat are left alone on one bank, the wolf will eat the goat; if the goat and cabbage head are left alone, the goat will eat the cabbage. But in man's presence nobody eats anything.
    The man actually managed to ferry everything to the other bank of the river. How did he do that?

• 1. the goat
    2. the wolf, on the way back to get the cabbage he takes back the goat again
    3. the cabbage
    4. the goat

the man leaves for some other passengers, the goat eats the cappage and the wolf eats the goat. all are happy, except the cabbage and the goat :D

• Correct!
    There are also other ways, e.g. this one:

Next:

Wandering around the world, I have been to such places where the difference of temperatures between night and day was so great that my watch changed its clock speed when I spent days and nights on open air. I noticed that temperature change during day caused the watch to become ½ minutes fast, and during nights the watch became ⅓ minutes slow. In the morning of October 1st the watch was still showing the correct time. By what date will the watch be 5 minutes fast?

• I guess the above task required too many calculations and was more of a time killer than a brainteaser... I already forgot the answer anyway...

Here is a quick one:

Five apples lie inside a bin. How can one share these apples between five girls, so that each girl gets an apple, and one apple remains in the bin?