Launcher stuck on "Starting Update" no errors no nothing

There are 42 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by guenni7.

• I'm unzipping the official Crossfire20setup.zip with the "Unblock" option checked. Never saw that before. Once the install is complete, I'll check the file contents and sizes to match up with yours. Lastly, related to the crash after into videos, I did remove all game saves, the entire folder actually, so I'm more inclined to think it's related to the alleged installation corruption. Thanks for all the help, if I get it working, I'll write a WIN XP SP3 (for dummies) guide for you guys!

[RA] Revan

[Republic Alliance]
    (click for system rules)
    A Galactic Smugglers Clan in a galaxy not far away!

• No it does not make sense.
    Its a beta version which gets the latest files via launcher.
    I for sure will not release a new mod download, compile a new installer and spend half a day to upload all the shit everytime I do changes on the mod. Thats what the launcher is for and it serves its purpose very well.

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that you should release a new mod download, compile a new installer and spend half a day to upload all the shit EVERY time you make changes to the mod. I'm saying you should do this ONCE with more recent files so that what we get in the mod download doesn't crash if we don't update it.

• maybe you dont understand it
    but the mod that I have released as beta version does not crash
    it was perfectly playable in SP... it would not even required to download any patched to play a stable singleplayer
    but if you want to play MP then you get to download the files.... EVERYTIME new patches are available (without any exceptions)

nearly all crash related problems of the past half year were not because of the launcher, or patches.
    they were because players didnt install the mod correctly

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Well it crashes for me no matter what I do, or I would not have this thread. I've followed the instructions of ape's TO THE LETTER. And I've got the screenshots showing all the files and folders with the size being exactly what they should be. Like I said in a previous post, I think it is highly unlikely that this is because something went wrong with the installation.

All I know is that without the update I get a crash. With the update I do not get a crash. Everything else people have told me to try has failed, that's the only solution I can see. If you've got better ideas, say them.

@Diablo I've restarted the launcher probably 50 times by now. Once I waited for an hour, and it still did nothing.

Also, I've taken the time to install this on my other computer that does not have internet, and I still have the same problem. I get a loading screen, and then after 30 sec. I get a crash. So it's not just my computer.

Edited 2 times, last by MuG3N ().

• Ok,
    its crashing for you.... so if the mod is bugged then how comes all the others can play?

Nearly every bug tracker entry about crashes was in the end closed after the player wrote stuff like "installed it again and its working" or "deactivated the AV, now its working"... pretty much every crash related problem was due to the client being installed correctly.
    And if I would get money for everytime somebody told me "but ive followed the instructions" then i could develop a 80mio € game now.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• :bgotcha: ... we tried hard make "nearly perfect" mod installation instructions, but still there can be more small reasons why it will not work for some unlucky players. Next to this I think that we try help to everyone as much as is only possible to solve issues if they happens. One from things which I did not mentioned (intentionally) was re-download mod, as it was also in few cases, where exactly this helped. Previously was mentioned one thing about working mod without any updates and this is what I can without any doubts confirm myself (for SP only, there was maybe 1 update for SP which not make difference for start play campaign)) as I reinstalled mod many times during mod testing and making intro. SP definitely should start without any crash. If this happen, then is mod with high probability not properly installed. Yours screenshots shows that there are some small differences in files amount which may be important.

OK, maybe few more things to check:

• Is vanilla freelancer working for you? (in FAQ is advised to start FL vanilla once) .. in FAQ is also nice guide how to significantly speed up mode re-installation --> You can easily made 2(or more) different mod activations and change them with simple folders renaming)
    • Are you using original FL? (as we had experience that some ppl were not able get mod running exactly bcs was used some "non-original" fl version)
    • Was checked "unblock" for downloaded CF zip file? and or on other downloads, for example if was separately downloaded flmm (if you not have original zip and if was this zip unpacked without unblocking it, then there is very good chance that updates are not downloaded bcs this ... your system simply block this ... also happened in some cases included myself). ... you may send thx to Microsoft for this awesome security thingy ...
    • are you running (check file properties) freelancer.exe as administrator? (should be set, still worth to check)
    • In launcher setting is used vanilla shader? (you may try use different one, for some players it worked .. very likely related to used graphic card)
    • Did you any changes to mod files? (as i have re-read your previous thread)
    • Have you updated .../Freelancer/EXE/flconfigdatabase.txt file ? (did some google search and gr_card which you have had some issues with running vanilla FL). Game crash prior game main menu can be due problem between graphics card and FL engine.
    • Can you please tell which options you have checked in launcher?

As is updates download normally working (for others), was for you working launcher update, then there must be something blocking launcher access to your mod installation ... launcher need to check if you have installed latest files version, if this cannot be done, then it will "hang" ... can't find other explanation. Cases where sometimes are not updates loaded for players, usually lies in previously improperly closed game (+launcher) when is not deleted temporary /EXE2 folder ... similar symptom but not the same thing like you have).

If I may advise and you will be wiling to do some more trying, then try made mod activation where you will NOT allow SP updates and check if you can get mod running.

And maybe one more old report to read: Freelancer won't start - Again .. especially last post.

• Ok, I'll re-download and reinstall tomorrow. Or today. whenever I wake up from sleeping.

To answer your questions:

1. Yeah, it worked alright. I had that annoying font glitch with a few of the menus, but it was nothing major.
    2.Yep, the original.
    3.I keep all my security options to minimal, because as you hint at, it's annoying, and it really serves no purpose for me, as I know how to keep my computer safe. So I think that's why I don't even get "unblock" option with the file properties. See the attachment.
    4. Yeah, I am.
    5.Yes, I used vanilla FL shader, I don't think my gpu is strong enough to handle anything better. Using Intel GMA 950... it's really bad.
    6.No... the only things I "modified" was to put the newer launcher/updater like you guys told me to. I don't recall making any other changes.
    7.You know, I actually haven't. I didn't get a problem with vanilla freelancer because of it, but maybe it's different with CF. I'll make sure to do this.
    8.Vanilla FL shader
    Adjust to desktop res.
    those are the only things I usually have checked, although I did play with them to try and get it to work, but no dice.

I don't recall there being an option in the activation to not allow SP update...? maybe I missed it...

But yeah, I'll update you guys on this later (pun intended :hust: ) the birds are chirping now... I should really go to sleep...

Files

• Untitled.png

(280.22 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )

• Alrighty I've re-downloaded, re-uninstaled everything, re-re-re-re-re-started my computer, re-cleared my registry, re-installed fl, re-installed FLMM. and I even re-installed my runtimes just to be safe. Also added my gpu into flconfig.txt. Oh, yes and removed write protection one million times.

And guess what?

• In such case sorry, I not know and actual way which can help more ... there is imo only one thing you can do, and this is wait for Win10 and CF mod re-release which is already work in progress (there will be all changes done to the mod added, so for SP will be not needed have updates if you will not want them).

• translation: remove the pr0n

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Still no luck on Windows XP SP3. My last resort is to do a factory reset on the machine, get everything back up to date (windows updates, etc), and try a clean install on a clean machine. The only variable I haven't removed is the fact I downloaded the ZIP on Windows 10, extracted on Windows 10, and am trying to install that extraction on WIN XP. When I do my factory reset, I will download the ZIP on my WIN XP and extract there, using the default zip program instead of WinRAR or 7Zip. The whole process will take over a day, especially with windows updates... if you have any other suggestions for a truly clean install (besides the obvious) let me know!

If all else fails, I will just install 1.9 again, which did work on my WIN XP when I first joined here (I even got permission to upload partitions of the 1.9 download back then). I would really love to play your new SP campaign and finish it <3

Thanks for the continued support everyone!

[RA] Revan

[Republic Alliance]
    (click for system rules)
    A Galactic Smugglers Clan in a galaxy not far away!

• you really should consider a modern windows

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Don't worry, all my pr0n is on my smartphone ;)

Let me go look up the difference between my time zone and german time zone...

and get team viewer aswell...

Ok... so that's 11:30pm for me, I can do that. you meant 8pm for you, right? not am? or just 0800 hrs? I know france uses 24hr clock, but I don't know for germany... sorry I'm so confused over something so simple :P

Well, I think I have an idea of the times you are usually on here... around 4-5am ish for me. Pretty late, but it's summer break, so no problem for me. Just PM me and I'll give you my ID and password for my teamview.

Edited 2 times, last by MuG3N ().

• Don't worry, all my pr0n is on my smartphone ;)

in that case NSA has some backups

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,