new launcher doesnt work anymore

There are 206 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Bond.

• For play Open SP you should do normall install, mod activation (dont use there Open SP!), load updates with 'old' launcher, once use MP (reach main menu), restart CF, run CF again (this time with 'new' launcher, where click settings and tick checkbox 'OpenSP' and start SP.

Note: after install FL don't forget remove write protection!

And one more thing: in your Feelancer folder should be executable file OpenSPFix or similar ... you can try first use this one before do reinstall. (but that fix was needed before was released new launcher).

• I tried, but no effect. I launched the Mp after the update, closed from the menu, and then the new updated launcher says 'can't open gecko' and it simply doesen't open. Maybe it's the 'write protection' you were talking about? Where should I remove it?

Thanks again, and sorry for the trouble :)

• ok, so "gecko" issue ... please look at this post (it solved problem for guy who had issue with it): index.php?page=Thread&postID=331863#post331863

Write protection: simply check folder properties and un-check "write only" and use apply.

Edit by
    If updating .net will not resolve issue, then please post crash report using next guide: index.php?page=FaqDetail&category=7#question164 ... for some reason it looks that WinXP can have some issues with launcher. You can also "block" internet for updates and use this OpenSPFix file I mentioned before. You could be able run CF (SinglePlayer) with old launcher and have working OpenSP.

• Ok, done it. Fact is I had both .net framework 2.0 and 4.0 installed, but din't know they where like separate programs. So, when i first wrote here, I had only tried to update the 4.0 and wasn't even aware of the very existence of .net framework 2.0, wich I now know is the one used by the launcher.

Now I uninstalled .net framework 2.0, installed .net framework 3.5 Sp1 (Download Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 from Official Microsoft Download Center, if anyone needs it) and everything's working like a clock.

Thank you Martind for the help, see you out there sometime!

Ps: btw, the new menu HAS a pretty nice layout!

• No, things can't be easy for me. :daddeln:

After about 7 h of trying all the tips mentioned above :
    newest .NETframeworl 4.5, internet explorer fix - also done on Firefox I'm working with, creating new shortcuts, trying to "hit" multiplayer or singleplayer button, while the error message is still there,
    trying to "redo" the launcher update with a patched EXE from the FLMM mods folder AND ofcz several reinstallations with "fresh" downloads of CF 1.9 and FLMM 1.3.1
    I give up :arghs: ... for today ;)

Got all the launcher errors with win 7 pro 64 ( "launcher doesn't work properly and has to be shout down, you will be informed, when a fix is available"),
    got messages of a suddenly missing DACOM.dll, a short "black screen flash" on the launcher at the second loading - after the first start with updating the files worked well,
    also the same as here

The updated launcher just keeps on refusing to launch. :(
    Now I have deinstalled and deleted everything (...again), even searched and cleared the registry of FL and CF related remnants, but no idea what else I can do.

Well, perhaps just wait and be persistent - more persistent than xFzR :cursing: R&§Y Windows.

Any further ideas, hints, tips, tricks, .... solutions are welcome.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• Can you try with NetFramework 3.5 how was mentioned above? Also is good to check (after you close CF/launcher) if is not in processes running Freelancer.exe ... if is, your launcher will crash every time (at least this is my case). I doubt that CF installation is your problem, this must be something about framework. You can also send crash details to ticket so Utrack can look on this one.

• Can NetFramework 3.5 and 4.5 be run side by side ??

edit :
    Oh, and ... do you have a tip how to install NetFrameWork on win prof 64, when NetframeWork 4.5 IS already installed ??
    The "simple" downloded version doesn't works. :S

Do I need the "complete" package of version 3.5 SP1 ?
    How do I instal it without the windows instaler 3.1 (which works only with 32-bit OS ?

Sry, lots of questions of a computer noob :verrueckt:

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

Edited once, last by NucNuc: edit ().

• @Forlon

I don't think instaling NetFrameWork 3.5 might do the trick. Utrack advised an Update to 4.0 or higher.
    Also, from the registry entries I would assume, that NetFramWork 3.5 already comes with 4.5.
    - regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/NET Framework Setup/NDP/(several entries: CDF, v2.0.50727, v3.0, v3.5,v4, v4.0) v3.5/

ab (Standard) REG_SZ (Wert nicht gesetzt/"not set"??)
    011CBS REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)
    011Install REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)
    ab InstallPath REG_SZ C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v3.5\
    011SP REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)
    ab Version REG_SZ 3.5.30729.5420

Well, will try it again (and again, and again, ...) with the hints and tips mentioned, ... perhaps something else.
    Perhaps Utrack has another solution for it.
    (Even though he doesn't seems to be around for the last 2 month :S )

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

Edited once, last by NucNuc: . ().

• .Net 4 does not require 3.5 to be installed.
    Could be that something more than .net is missing. Eventually something from VB libraries. You could try to download dependency walker, open it and load the freelancer.exe into it. Then you get a list of dlls and modules listed that is required to run that exe.
    Red entries mean something is wrong or missing...

signature.png

• Where to find ?

Here in the download section ( FL / Tools ??) ?

or via google ?

edit:
    Found it :) , google

for win 7 prof 64 bit, which version ? 2.2 for x86 , right ?

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

Edited once, last by NucNuc: found it ().

• THX, will try it rrright now.

edit:
    As an attachment, the "actual look" of my freelancer.exe in depedency walker. But it looks exactly the same as an "older" version, that worked perfectly well on win xp with .net 3.5.

What have I done so far ?
    After deleting a registry entry in a folder Microsoft/WoW6432/NDE labeled CO7ft5Y that contained folders "exe" and "Freelancer"
    I installed FL Vanilla, then FLMM 1.3.1, then CF 1.9 to FLMM (strangley: during installation no "sounds" as in earlier xp-times), then activated.

Started FL exe as admin from its installation folder in Programme(x86)/Microsoft Games/Freelancer/exe. The "old" launcher started, dlling 226 files.
    Clicked multiplayer, reached (happily) main menu and closed Freelancer.

THEN I cut off internet and started FL/CF from the desktop shortcut from the vanilla installation.The NEW launcher came up :woot:
    I was able to start the game on SP several times. :yeah:

Next will be trying to start WITH internet connected again. But atm I just feel a bit "whimpy" and don't dare to do so.

Btw, with some external help I managed to get a "copy" of my old HDD, Therefore I was able to compare the two .exewith dependency walker.

I will keep you informed, how I proceed - after regaining vimes. 8).

Files

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

Edited once, last by NucNuc: edit ().

• Yah I have the same problem like the first post in this thread, "CFLauncher doesn't work" and than it closes, even if Multiplayer option appears, the Launcher doesn't load quickly enough for me to press it and it vanishes. I reinstalled the mod several times together with FL, the first launcher works, I can go in and play but after I restart the game, the new launcher causes me to close it. Any help is appreciated.

Also this:

• a new launcher is being worked on
    the last error sources should be fixed soon

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Perhaps this helps.

My problems with the launcher seemed (mostly) due to "new" - but - broken hardware /VGA-card as well as PSU).
    After ripping the VGA-card out of the case, returning to intel onBoard graphics (crap!) AND deleting each and every entry related to the VGA-card (ati)
    in any program folder, registry etc. AND reinstalling/updating windows 7 64bit (....again....) the launcher worked : once and then only with internet disconnected.

ALSO, search each and every firewall/anti-virus/browser/browser-plugins as well and other internet related programs for allwing them to connect to swat-portal.com !!

I have now a "new" new PSU and VGA-card installed with latest beta-drivers from amd and done the "connection-programs"-cleaning.
    On the first few runs ... IT WORKS :-D.

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

• After playing CF MP for a couple of hours, the program closed with "an error occurred in program freelancer.exe".
    Since then, I can no longer start it, it fails with "Can't initialise Gecko".

I allready reinstalled .NET 4, the Updates for .NET 4. Also tried with and without Internet Connection. It's not working.
    The old Freelancer1.0cr.exe starts without video sequences, but then it seems to work fine.

System is W7/32.

"Gecko" is the mozilla engine for the launcher??

Edited once, last by guenni7: system added ().

• That solved the problem. I had .NET3.5 disabled because it is not used by other programs on my game-Installation.
    So at the end, The new Launcher depends on .NET 3.5, not on .NET 4.0.
    Thanks for the advise!

:jo:

Something nasty I've encounterd after that: I can only start Freelancer one time.
    If I exit the game and start it the second time, it crashes the CL_launcher.exe.
    After a reboot I can start it again one time....

Edited once, last by guenni7: Added another problem ().

• check running processes after close fl. If you will have there 2x freelancer.exe close this larger process (it terminate both). After you can start launcher without problems.

• There's no second Freelancer Process. Seems to have another cause.