Star Citizen by Chris Roberts

There are 79 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• Not the only one, just in this year we got Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO, Star Trek Online, that Evochron singleplayer type, Mass Effect 2 and 3, or at least the 3rd, Halo 4 which is also a Space sci fi, and these just counting the most FAMOUS ones, not the total.

Yup I know Mike.....

Just saying he is blind thats all.. ;)

Rgds

Cygna

• He said the Space SIM genre... this will be the first triple A space sim made since... I dunno what.

Freelancer is awesome, but it's not a sim (no cockpit view, mouse control, etc).

I can't wait for SC to release... gonna be epic!

• hmmm FL have cocpit view ...hmmm controls i think will be same as in FL. Mouse control is genius...who have joyStick today?

• since x2, x3, x3tc... black prophecy, spaceforce ru, eve (which also is a space sim actually)
    not to mention the upcoming release of x4

there were countless of good space sims during the past few years

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• hmmm FL have cocpit view ...hmmm controls i think will be same as in FL. Mouse control is genius...who have joyStick today?

The Joystick junkies m8 thats who.....

Have not played with a joystick for well over 25 years now, tbh m8, cant wait for Crossfire to
    be Mouse and touchscreen compatible together, now that would be awesome.. 8| 8| 8| 8| ;)

Get real ppl, b4 we start 2013, bin those analogue sticks and go for the digital precision
    that is a laser optic mouse, far better than any stick imo.

Rgds

Cygna

• Have not played with a joystick for well over 25 years now,

i have two from my zx spectrum 48k :)

wasd and 5 button mice is all what we need :)

• Hi there,

Old Tito here, I know Im a bit late with this, but I have just found out about Star Citizen.

Despite OP is skeptic by nature, with this game Its the first time that I have the feeling that someone is making what most of Freelancer lovers wanted. I wont put my hand on the fire but what they are promising looks like what I have been looking for since Freelancer.

I agree with OP in the "micro transactions" shit. Looks like today everything has to have extra cost, rather than the classical "purchase the game and thats all" that we were used to (DLCs, micro transactions, subscriptions).

Whatever, IMO, if these guys are able to deliver a game with which we can run a server and customize it like OP has done with Freelancer, I would be more than happy...

Hope...thats what i have.

• they wont release such a game and they wont keep their promises as they already broke them

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• explained one of the many reasons via pm

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• i doubt that i want to start over there
    false promises, excessive self presentation, disgusting money making and not to forget the claim to save the sci-fi genre aswell as PC gaming (in a time that there are more space sims and PC games on the market than ever before).

Chris Roberts better should tell us at which point he failed to make Starlancer a successful game, where he failed to make Conquest a successful game, why Brute Force never gets mentioned anywhere and at which point he failed to create FREELANCER so he had to sell the game to microsoft so they could change the entire concept and finally release the game we actually like to play.
    -> Chris Roberts originally wanted to build a point and click game where you select a target and tell which automatic maneuvers your ship does when he worked on FL (for gods sake this guy and that entire concept was replaced)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Well, point taken OP.

I have been reading a bit, and if they intend to make a game (like Sellters online) where you can do everything without paying but its contantly pushing you to "pay or wait", that would be a mistake and he will crush before landing.

But honestlly, I wouldnt mind if he just give us a new engine based game and the ability to mod it and set up a private server....I have seen what community can do with that, and that would be more than enought (for me).

For me is not about Chris Roberts but about having an update graphics and features game...as a base.

• building something new in a new engines is not that hard

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Well Im not codder OP, but I dont think its a question of difficulty but of resources. In my past experience here in crossfire, I there had been 20 OPs rather than 1, Crossfire would be an indepent game instead of a FL mod. But sadly there is but one OP.

IMO FL was an unfisnished game in so many ways...but the community filled up big part of that gap. What Im talking about is that I wouldnt mind if they deliver a new "up to date" base like FL was at the time...modders/community would do the rest.

If you think about it, nowadays (except for Skyrim, and some others) there are almost no games that encourage modding. Sad but true.

• "Sad but true", well, that is why there are so many new games lately, and a ton of indies and such, where only some get famous.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• if you believe that this is the only option then you dont know how much else exists out there

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Hi
    For my money,I don't give a toss about Chris Roberts and his game it just looks like a money making operation to me with little or no imagination,the one we should all be watching is ELITE Dangerous
    David Braben has far more integrity and cares and knows that ELITE started it all shields,hull,guns,trading an all the weird and dangerous aliens you care to fire a laser at in a unfolding universe
    especially Thargons.Forget Nomads these were the first real alien threat in any game,and came as a shock after dealing with the normal N.P.C's. Witchspace was another innovation,you launch,set your target
    location and instead of getting there you are dragged into Witch Space to fight the Thargon menace and you dont have a clue where you would come out on the nav map.
    The closest anyone has come is Crossfire...heading in the right direction.
    Regards
    Vardek.

Vardek

• totally agree.

I have played all three Elite games on various machines, and loved them all.

in fact I still have Frontier Elite 2 and Frontier First Encounters along with their boxes and all the stuff inside. of course they are useless now as computers these days do not have floppy disk drives, but the memory is still with me.

I have been waiting patiently for Elite 4, and may well never actually see it, but I still live in hope. :sigh

Ray OK