Chris Roberts: Why I've Come Back to Gaming

There are 8 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• but space sim games are something totally different than unchearted series... Dunno how this comparison shall work...
    As far as i understood the new game should be a mixture of Wing Commander, Privateer and Freelancer??

Nevertheless if it would be kind of Infinity then i would be happy. I would feel very comfortable with that planetary landing and the huge possibilities Infinity did yet show in its dev videos...
    Tomorrow is Wednesday (actually for me it is yet) - so lets see what Chris has done over the last year :D

signature.png

• I just hope he doesn't make a Mass Effect clone.
    Looks like it from what i was Listerning/watching.

Needs to be a new concept, and original imo to be a hit.

Cygna

• I got a bad feeling for this, but i want to believe he has something better than a mass effect clone,
    he will have to try very hard to satisfy freelancer fans, the bar with these greats mods has been raised very high.

Edited once, last by Boyster: grammar ().

• *shakes head*

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I actually watched their teaser on their new crowdfuning home page. Gonna say if you like sci fi you will like what you see there. It really looks amazing. But as far as i understood it was specially rendered to look like this. I think the bottleneck will still be the PCs performance and as he tries to push hard on multiplayer he will be suffering the current bandwidth limitations. Black Prophecy for example had also great looking graphics - and actually not everyone can afford a pc for up 2 T€ or 2 T$ to be able to play such games as nicely as they look in the rendering...

So I am still sceptical - but have to admit that the graphics looks nice :)

signature.png

• watched the live presentation which basically showed the game engine and a few first ships

he intends to use fighter models with ~300.000 polygons and battleship models with polygons reaching the millions
    putting aside that it looks good (and ignoring he lod and clipping errors) i have my doubts that people really care about a zoom into the cockpit with a moving pilot
    the question about traffic in my eyes was answered in an insufficient way
    he practically said that the game world will have different layers and the exact game data is only synchronized in zones where players meet each other and that would perfectly work... and afterwards these zones will be removed when the players go their own ways
    -> thats how it is already done in FL and as we know it does not really work

just alone the hit detection on such a large environment and ships with that high polygon numbers will be a mess
    next to that the game will be physics driven... which is nice but also is risky for the gameplay which in this early stage was not that good yet

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• 3-4 years in my eyes before there is a release

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,