News from Bot

Jul

Happy Fourth?

We usually take a break from Wing Commander updates on the Fourth of July and just wish our visitors from the US a happy and safe Independence Day. For obvious reasons, 2020 is markedly different. Unlike every other year, this time I hope you don't go out and watch a fireworks show. Just stay home with a close circle of family and friends. To Wing Commander fans around the globe, take care and stay safe. If you must go out, be like all the residents of FT957 and be sure to bring your masks.

telamon_bioweapons1t.jpgtelamon_bioweapons2t.jpghttp://

Jul

Wojo dropped off a picture of a couple new Lego Wing Commander creations, and these are pretty sweet. There's a chronically under appreciated Scimitar on the left and a very structurally accurate Drakhri on the right! Everyone loves the Dralthi, but we've seen a million of those, so it's wonderful to see the Drakhri properly represented here. I don't even think everyone will realize its silver and yellow color scheme is totally on point. In fact, they're both pretty color accurate. Not bad at all!

wojo_legos1t.jpgwc2drakhri4t.jpg

Imma just leave this here then...

Jul

On July 11th, prepare your blood wine and your bat’leths. It will be a Day of Honor. In honor of our favorite warriors for Kahless, Star Trek Online, Eaglemoss, Modiphius, and the Streampunks are all teaming up to hold an all day streaming event, featuring some of your favorite Trek stars and a whole heaping helping of honorable battle. We’re excited to have you join us for the event, live on the Queue Times Twitch channel. And now it's time to announce the guests for Star Trek Online's panel! We've recently release House Divided, our latest major content update, and we want to talk about it and answer your questions. Joining host Mike Fatum will be members of the STO Team: Lead Designer Al Rivera, Lead Environment Artist Scot Boyd, and Lead Ship and UI Artist Thomas Marrone. But they won't be alone - we'll be joined by the most Klingon of guests, as Robert O'Reilly (Gowron in Deep Space Nine,

Jul

albumkickstarter_goodies25t.jpgAs promised, Wing Commander composer George Oldziey has extended his weekly series of blogs with a new topic on the effects of the coronavirus. In his new article, he reflects on the impact to the industry and expresses gratitude for being able to work on a variety of projects like his Wing Commander remasters from the safety of his private studio. Check out his new post here.

My original training was as a performer (originally trumpet and now piano), and only much later in my life did I veer towards musical composition. I never abandoned my love of performing, which also gave me inspiration and motivation to compose music that I could perform myself...

Jul

General: Resolved an issue that would cause the game to crash when playing Dabo mini-game. Resolved an issue that was preventing the Red Angel Suit from correctly unlocking in the Tailor upon claiming the Event Reward. Added an Account-Wide Costume Unlock for the Red Angel Suit to the Event Reclaim Store. If you completed the Season 20 House Divided Event before and did not receive this costume unlock, you may Reclaim this item for free to fix that error for all characters on your account. The Verity variant of the Odyssey Star Cruiser has had its left warp trail moved to its correct position. The T5 B'Rel Retrofit, Fleet B'Rel and T6 Kor Bird of Prey are now using the remastered B'Rel art. Resolved an issue in which the D7 and D7 Refit costume presets were not appearing in the tailor. Resolved an issue that was preventing the correct background from displaying in the Personal

Jul

This one's not quite a ship from Wing Commander Academy, but it may as well have been! We don't see this light fighter in the television show, so NinjaLA sketched up a concept and DefianceIndustries turned it into a toonscaped model. There's both a red team and green team livery in keeping with the Academy palette. Defiance isn't quite sure yet what he's going to do with all these beautiful Academy models, but he's got some ideas cooking...

defiance_render401t.jpgdefiance_render402t.jpgdefiance_render403t.jpgdefiance_render404t.jpgdefiance_render406t.jpgdefiance_render407t.jpgdefiance_render408t.jpgdefiance_render405t.jpg

This one was a lot of fun. I was working with NinjaLA on a fictional WCA-ized Hornet might look like. The excellent concept art he cooked up is attached along with model renders I did. It was a fun experiment and I like the results.

Jul

Wing Commander veteran Paul Hughes has posted a shot of some fabulous wall art he's had made. They're Photobox canvas prints designed to commemorate Starlancer, Elite and Privateer 2. The '90s space sims are based on the straight European box art while the Elite cover comes from the fancy Acornsoft release. Modern print-on-demand services make cool projects like these relatively easy, and the results are super sweet!

paulhughes_wallartt.jpg

Final home office canvases. Really chuffed how well they came out. Space games and I have a bit of a history. :D So many tales to tell... It was a fun project.

We were lucky; the cover art and manuals were done in house by a member of the Dev team - Mr Paul Chapman. The Elite one is a Photoshop retouch of the artwork that I did, the other two come from the original hires artwork and were all printed on Canvas by Photobox.

Loved Wing Commander (especially WC3) I was a tad star struck when

Jun

Greetings Champions, Captains, and Adventurers! Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter are celebrating Cryptic’s 20th Anniversary with free in-game items! Check out the details below for each game: Champions Online The following items will be availablet to claim in the Zen Store until July 16th: New Title: Cryptonian Exclusive Platinum Aura Platinum Defender Action Figure Platinum Backup! Defender device Star Trek Online The following items will be available to claim in Mudd’s Market section of the Zen Store, under the Bundles tab until July 16th: New Title: Cryptonian Platinum Discovery Era Sniper Rifle Once per account Platinum Vanity Shield Platinum Tardigrade Non-Combat Pet Featured TFO Reward (3x) Once per account Neverwinter The following items can be claimed at the Rewards Claim Agent starting today at 10am PT until July

Jun

We’ve been through the Age of Discovery, and celebrated a Legendary Anniversary, but now it’s time to return to 2411 for good, Captains. Welcome to the Year of Klingon. Welcome to House Divided. In this epic new update for Star Trek Online, a brand new face is joining our stories cast – Robert O’Reilly, who played Chancellor Gowron in Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, is joining the cast as Aakar, Gowron’s ancestor and a loyal servant of the treacherous Ju’la. Players have already met Aakar in The Rise of Discovery, but Robert O’Reilly brings a new dimension and character to the role. Gowron was a brilliant, crafty leader, and time will tell if those traits came from his Grandfather. In addition, an old fan favorite returns. J.G. Hertzler is stepping back into the role of Martok, rejoining our cast as our focus turns again to the Klingon Empire. With the

Jun

This is the kind of sale you'd find in Stovokor. This week, Star Trek Online is putting everying in the Zen Store and the Lobi Store on sale for 20% off on all platforms! Get your hands on some of our newest content, like PC's Legendary Romulan Bundle, for cheaper than ever before, because that's not all. On PC, you'll receive a 20% bonus to all Zen purchases charged through Arc. And on Xbox One and Playstation 4, you'll be saving 20% on bundles of Zen in your respective console's store. And one final piece - the Key Ring Bundle will be available on all platforms as well, so you can get your hands on 10 Master Keys and an Ultimate Tech Upgrade during this sale. Buy some Zen, get a Key Ring Bundle for less, open some lock boxes, and spend the Lobi you get on items on sale in the Lobi Store! This sale runs from June 30th at 8am PT to July 6th at 10am PT. Don't miss out on this opportunity Captains,

Jun

Jun

PC: Event: This Featured Event will be a standalone event, separate from the Event Campaign II. This new event will provide participating Captains with an epic reward: The Red Angel Suit. Special Event: Captains can earn two daily progress per day by playing any of the following content: Two Brand New Episodes (2 Points Each) New Task Force Operation: Best Served Cold (2 Points) Three New Patrols (1 Point Each) Clash Above Ceron Strike at Seedea Trouble over Terrh As in previous events, all content can be accessed via the new Event UI, accessible within your Mission Journal by pressing on the “Events” Tab. Rewards: Accruing a total of 40 points of Daily Progress will allow you to claim all the Red Angel Suit. Bonus Rewards: After claiming the Grand Prize, you will unlock the option of earning additional Dilithium Ore each

Jun

ODVS has something slightly different for his latest video test. He's taken his enhanced video and edited in snippets of sample material from George Oldziey's Wing Commander tracks filmed by a live orchestra. It's the best of both worlds - incredibly high fidelity audio and video. George actually took his own stab at jazzing up the intro with his new music several years ago, but now we can enjoy it with the new 1080p visuals. A wholesale remaster with amped up audio isn't coming any time soon, since it's both time consuming and expensive to create, but this is a great teaser of what such an epic project would be!

A first experimental effort at mixing George Oldziey's fantastic orchestral recording of his original Wing Commander IV score into my AI HD Remastered video.

It's slightly wonky in places. While I do have the 5.1 channel audio to work with, I can't remove the original synth music entirely,

Jun

The Year of Klingon is almost upon us, Captains, and the first stage is right around the corner. To help you find and celebrate all of the amazing rebuilt content, we put together a very honorable list of what’s changing with tomorrow’s patch and where you can find it. First, we aimed our sights at the Klingon Tutorial, and the Empire Mission Arc. These episodes have new environment art, updated cutscenes, new and updated voice over recordings, and even some new gameplay. Our designers have taken to the field of battle and produced some missions that we feel are up to our modern standards for Star Trek Online, and really make you feel like a Klingon Warrior. Some of our most iconic Klingon characters were long overdo for an update, and our character artists took on that task with gusto. Below, you can see the new designs for Worf, J’mpok, K’mtar, and Kagran. Nxt

Jun

In the Final Frontier, your fate depends entirely on who you choose to trust. And there’s one man in all the galaxy that you absolutely should, and cannot, trust. After all, he’s just a Plain, Simple Tailor. The Plan and Simple Bundle is coming to the Lobi Store on PC this week, to celebrate one of our favorite characters, Elim Garak. From June 30th to July 6th, the bundle will be available for 1500 Lobi (and subject to any sales that happen during this period), and contains: Cardassian Keldon Cruiser [T6] A special Elim Garak Holographic Bridge Officer 5 Gold Tech Upgrades A New Title: Plain and Simple Enjoy, Captains, and remember: The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination. .share-footer a { margin: 20px 10px 10px 0; background: url(d7afaaa14e96d0d973f76157ae31ec5b1466398539.png) no-repeat 0 0; opacity: .5; display: inline-block; height:

Jun

There's now a playable demo for longtime Wingnut centaurianmudpig's space sim Absolute Territory. The project has come a very long way since the first prototype a few years ago. As you can see from the new gameplay trailer below, the game's engine is shaping up with respectable graphics and solid action. There's an especially nice crackle to the gunplay. You can find out more and grab the demo here. The full game will be coming to Steam later this year.

The thrill of space combat with infinite replayability:
    Absolute Territory takes inspiration from classic space combat simulation games from the '90s and '00s and adds features for modern gameplay and offers expanded replayability with Steam Workshop support.

Singleplayer Campaign:
    Download and play to enjoy the first 3 missions from the Absolute Territory campaign (all 100% created with the in-game mission editor). Before jumping in, be sure to

Jun

DefianceIndustries has yet another hot new capships based on a design from Wing Commander Academy. This one is the Achilles, which is an interesting design that seems to serve several roles in the Confed navy. He's addressed the larger variants by making a nifty modular hull that potentially detaches from the main body. I'm surprised we don't see this concept more often, since it seems so useful. Speaking of Achilles, that underside is sure light on turrets...

defiance_render393t.jpgdefiance_render394t.jpgdefiance_render395t.jpgdefiance_render396t.jpgdefiance_render397t.jpgdefiance_render398t.jpgdefiance_render399t.jpgdefiance_render400t.jpg

Another WCA ship for your amusement. The Achilles destroyer/transport/fighter carrier (CVE maybe?). It looks like a Durango and a Wake had a naughty, naughty evening; the kind where they both had a bit too much Vak'qu and in the morning the Wake quietly slipped out the back without leaving so much as a piece of dry toast for the poor Durango - and this happened a few months later. Since the carrier is kind of a different bird (but the artists

Jun

On July 11th, prepare your blood wine and your bat’leths. It will be a Day of Honor. In honor of our favorite warriors for Kahless, Star Trek Online, Eaglemoss, Modiphius, and the Streampunks are all teaming up to hold an all day streaming event, featuring some of your favorite Trek stars and a whole heaping helping of honorable battle. We’re excited to have you join us for the event, live on the Queue Times Twitch channel. Today, we're incredibly pleased to announce our next batch of guests. In addition to Modiphius bringing Rick Sternbach along, Aliza Pearl has gathered quite the crowd for her Klingon Culture and You panel. If they were related to Klingons in Star Trek Discovery at all, they're probably here: As our Klingon livestream "Day of Honor" approaches, we're excited to announce our panelists for the "Klingon Culture & You" hour, hosted by Aliza Pearl (Actor, Blood of the Void

Jun

LOAF has scanned a great article on the making of Wing Commander 3. It appeared in the August 1994 issue of Computer Game Review and followed the game's film shoot. The author talks about the experience with the CGI backdrops as well as the Kilrathi animatronics. There are also sidebar conversations with Chris Roberts and Mark Hamill. It sounds like filming all of the different angles and plot choice variations was as tricky as you might imagine, but they pulled it off well!

computergamereview_1994august1t.jpgcomputergamereview_1994august2t.jpgcomputergamereview_1994august3t.jpgcomputergamereview_1994august4t.jpgcomputergamereview_1994august5t.jpgcomputergamereview_1994august6t.jpgcomputergamereview_1994august7t.jpgcomputergamereview_1994august8t.jpgOh, and here's Zephyr, which came out at the same time as WC3 yet somehow had worse graphics than WC1...