No communication (no sound) between Characters in space

There are 11 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SilverFox.

• 3 things
    1) No communication (no sound) between Characters in space. There are pictures of them on the screen when they are "talking" but there is no sound. No backgournd fighting dialogues which you usually hear in a normal freelancer game in space. But there are sounds of beams firing.

2) Is it a technical glitch when you can't open the options during space except during cutscenes?

3) There is a constant repetition of a particular sound when in combat. After combat and a while it is gone but it can be pretty irritating.

I have been finding specifically related to this issue but I don't see them. If there are related ones, please direct me to them. thanks.

By the way I am using Mac to play this game and crossover instead of installing a new Windows OS.

Edited once, last by Zhaoyun: first time using this forum ().

• 1. I'm not sure what's wrong at the sounds, they are supposed to be there. Are you sure the volume settings of voices is up ? If so, there might be missing files for some reason :O

2. No, it's a feature mostly related with Multiplayer, so that people don't use F1 in space to change chars or log out, fleeing an unconvenient situation for them.

3. I guess you have some weapon with that disturbing sound, you could find better guns with normal sounds (there are.), or lower down the effects volume.

And, I have no idea of Macs ^^

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Hi Zhaoyun!

I'm a Windows user and can't be sure in anything related to Mac, but your sound problem is much similar to the incompatible system MP3 codec issue which sometimes happens on PC. Freelancer requires an old Fraunhofer IIS codec, and when it gets replaced by something more up-to-date (e.g. LAME-based "MPEG Layer-3 Professional Audio Codec" coming with some codec packs), sounds become missing, including space dialogues, cutscenes, menu pops and clicks and some more.

Please check the game's sound options, if you can't hear anything when holding the voice volume slider (there must be a Trent's voice sample, something about Freeport 7), then you definitely have a wrong codec. Microsoft Games include the WMFDIST.EXE file in REDIST folder on Freelancer CD which should fix this issue, but I doubt it will work on Mac... Anyway, if nothing else helps, try manually removing your system MP3 codec and installing an old Fraunhofer one; I can't give you any detailed intructions on how to do that on Mac, but maybe you can find them on the Internet.

Good luck and fly safe! :)

• Hi Cresthen and Michael,

Thanks for your detailed info. ^^ I can hear the volume of Trent speaking when sliding the Dialogue slider, it just doesn't happen specifically in space and during combat. Is it because of the crack that I am using to run the Freelancer?

I did as what the installation instruction suggested.(The usual having a freelancer, installing 1.31 manager mod, installing crossfire 1.9). After activating the mod, i open up freelancer using the freelancer crack, and its goes to Crossfire 1.9 Launcher. Am I wrong in any of the process

Really hope I can solve this, and I miss all the talking in the combat. Give a nice human feel to the mono-tonous single player campaign.

By the way. thanks again Michael. I thought there is something wrong with the options menu. haha

• The usual having a freelancer

Please make sure

• it was a new clean FL installation, no other mods had been activated/deactivated before Crossfire;
    • the "read-only" attribute of all files and folders in FL directory is unchecked, both before and after Crossfire activation;
    • the game's folder in My Documents is empty or non-existent (in case you didn't launch FL) before Crossfire activation;
    • it is an English version of FL you are using :)

Your crack is a mystery to me though... Can you track what files are replaced by it? And is there any chance to avoid using this crack at all?

About the options menu in space: you just need to assign another key to "open attention window" in Options -> Controls -> Multiplayer to activate it.

Edited once, last by Cresthen: SWAT Terms of Use, Chapter 10 ().

• Please consider purchasing a valid copy of Freelancer.

http://www.amazon.com/Freelancer-Pc/dp/B000085AHJ

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7376420

Kind Regards

Hi Cresthen and Michael,

Thanks for your detailed info. ^^ I can hear the volume of Trent speaking when sliding the Dialogue slider, it just doesn't happen specifically in space and during combat. Is it because of the crack that I am using to run the Freelancer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 8.1 X64, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz, 16GB 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GXT 460

• I thought Freelancer.exe is replaced by Crossfire anyway so no need for a crack.

• my thoughts exactly,

cracks and hacks are done not out of the love of one person for another and the feeling of sharing a game , there is always an ulterior motive, as some of our members have found previously - worms, infections, etc .

Kind Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 8.1 X64, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz, 16GB 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GXT 460

• Not sure if you folks are still trying to figure this out, but I have the exact same issue. No dialogue of any kind in space, but the slider does start the Trent Freeport 7 dialogue. I'm running an install from my old disc in Crossover on a mac, using the official no-CD EXE from the Starport website. If anyone has gotten any farther, I'd love to hear. This is the only place I've found my exact situation.

• im pretty sure that the com used to work when i tried it yesterday

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I'm not sure what I did exactly, but I got it to work. All I can say for sure is that I used the WMFDIST.EXE file in the REDIST folder from the disc, something I had already done. Before then, I think I had installed Directx9 into the bottle, as well as the Fraunhofer codec, but neither of those seemed to work until now. Right now in System 32 is l3codeca.acm, l3codecx.acm, l3codecx.ax.