Why don't the rules apply to everyone?

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SA_ARROW.

• So, I am flying and some screwhead named "1138" decides he'd gonna be a smart mouth, and starts cracking wise...about how no one should be in a redemption without CFPD permission. I wasn't in one... I was in an APC. But my partner was, and he says that since CFPD isn't on the server, it's hard to get permission. This smart mouth decides he's gonna talk about how that depends on whether they are tagged or not. So, I remind him of the BIG RED POST outside Manhattan that says if you are in a clan, you gotta be tagged. It's right there for everyone to see. Am I wrong? Does it not say right outside of Manhatten in big red letters that if you are in a clan, you have to be tagged? Now, this smart mouth seems to think that everyone should know who he is, since he says he wrote most of the rules himself. He says if someone is taking a break, they don't have to be tagged. Where is that in the rules for everyone to read? So I remind him that the rules are right there, and I'll meet him in NY so we can see for yourselves. He decides to threaten me, and tell he he's gonna kill me for mouthing off to him.

I don't care who he is. I've had the rule book thrown at me for what I can do in my clan. Fine. Everyone else is gonna eat that same rulebook, regardless of who they are.

And if this schmuck is really CFPD, he deserves to be kicked from his clan. No cop gets to act like that. I am not getting threatened, because I QUOTED THE RULES HE CLAIMS TO HAVE WRITTEN! No interpretation, no bending or twisting of them... right there in red letters. Simple, plain, and easy to understand. Where is the issue?

But... if he IS taking a break from being in his clan, and that's why he's playing an untagged character, what right does he have opening his mouth? He's not tagged. He's not showing he supports his clan. He's not displaying any support for his clan or system at all by running around tagged as 1138. If he's taking a break from being in his clan, he's got no right to say a word about whether or not people are buying redemptions in his system. For all anyone could know, he could just be some schmuck stirring up trouble. I'm supposed to respect someone, who can't respect his own clan, or the rules he claimed to write?

Why don't the rules apply to everyone? Why don't they apply equally to everyone?

Unless you are a member of a clan, you must not use clan tags on your character. If you are a member of a clan, you must use the correct clan tag on all characters. Clan tags are set to a specific string of characters, no deviation from this is allowed. If you join a clan you will have 7 days to get your characters properly tagged and to delete untagged characters.

Ok. So, after conversation with Gunny, as that's who it turns out to be... he says that we should know ahead of time to treat the clan as if it is active on the server, even though it's not active on the server. How is that right? Moreover.... where is that posted? Not asking where it is posted that they are taking a break... asking where it is posted that everyone should still treat them on the forums as if they are NOT taking a break? Where is that in the rules? It's not a respect thing.... it has nothing to do with respect. You don't get respect by flying around in an untagged character, telling people they need to get permission from a clan that's not active on the server, claiming that you wrote the rules and thus you can't have them quoted back to you. That's someone acting as if they are above the rules.

If CFPD is taking a break, fine. Let them take a break. What right do they have to come on in untagged characters, and act as if they AREN'T taking a break? What... like calling "Time out" and "time in"? If the rules don't apply to everyone, what good are they? If CFPD are going to fly around in untagged characters, they should not be allowed to make people treat them as if they are tagged. That goes for everyone, right?

• The thing is :

First, CFPD is still renting it's system so it is still considered an Active Clan even tho not much CFPD pilots a flying around (yes it only depends on the money CFPD gives to OP for renting Tarsus).
    Second, 1138, as a CFPD member on hiatus, is acting like an ally of CFPD and has been given the powers to enforce the Redemption property rights. Every clan can mandate a freelancer or an allied clan to keep an eye out for their property and take action if it is stolen. The rule says that Clan Owners make the rules in their system (delegate property look-out is one) and that rule is commonly extended to stolen property, meaning that the owner (or the mandated guardians of the property) can exerce their powers anywhere to take action against thieves. Of course it is always subject to the diplomacy and reputations game.
    Third, yup he's got a smart mouth... I suggest you don't bite too hard tho cause he is teasing you for fun. He's playing the rough Police Officer that would give you a punch in the face as soon as nobody's looking.... That's a character... X(

Edit : give yourself some time (a few months) and you'll understand the subtilities of the rule book and start understanding how you can interprete it to your own advantage... Without abusing of the gaps in the rules yourself, it is useful to at least know where ppl can be dirty within the rules... Remember, the rules don't always ensure fairplay... they ensure the RP, in which you will often be confronted to frustrating behaviors... CF tries to reproduce RL in terms of society and there isn't always good and honest ppl in life...

Edited once, last by SA_ARROW ().

• the correct answer would have been "you want it so take it... if you can"

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• @Hawkinz: it all means that you can freely ignore what was told you in game, but you can expect consequencess. 'Stole' ships from CFPD rented system have very long and 'dark' history. Now it only depend if you want solve this with guns or not.

• one thing is flying around with a "stolen" ship.. do it and live with the consequences (either paying a fee, if get caught or getting shot on sight, or whatever might be brought up by the system (where the ship got "stolen") owner)

regardless of this fact. the other point being brought up according to fly around untagged.
    It should apply to everyone. As soon as you join a clan you are supposed to tag all your chars with the propper clan-tag. and getting rid of all your untagged chars. There should not be any exeption for anyone.
    I know a bunch of people do still fly around untagged and some of them really think they are allowed to.
    Unfortunately, some of those people might get caught and will have to deal with the outcome.
    To me (personally) it does not make any difference who is flying around in an untagged char (after the period of 7 days after joining any clan) each player online have agreed to that rule and know what they could expect, getting caught violating/breaking them.

Being in a clan means, being part of a unit, doesn't it?
    When I want to take a break (for what reason ever) Im either not playing at all, or I am not part of this clan anymore (if I took a break from the clan, for whatever reason) In this way I would have to get rid of my tagged chars just the other way around, as I had to get rid of the untagged chars when I joined the clan earlier.
    Flying around untagged and then pretending to be part of a clan does not work out well. causes confusion and most likely trouble. Not just for the clan, but for the whole comunity (seen on a long term schedule)
    Is this really what people want, when acting in such a way?

Think about it.

• I agree, there were Role Play responses... and if this had been handled in ANY WAY like a role playing situation, then none of this would have happened. It never would have gotten to this situation. Let's just make it clear then.

Stranger named 1138 initiates the conversation. The character tag is nothing other than 1138.

1138 - nice ship you have there
    1138 - did you get permission to purchase it?
    Cygna - Since CFPD isn't on the server any more, it's kind of hard to get permission
    1138 - Sure they are, they just aren't tagged
    Hawkinz - Then they are violating the rules, since all clan members must be tagged
    1138 - Oh, we got a smart mouth here. Don't quote the rules to me, I wrote most of them.
    Hawkinz - I'm a smart mouth for repeating what is in big red letters outside Manhattan?
    1138 - I'm going to kill you for mouthing off to me.

Now, that is abbreviated, but that's how it went. Not once did he identify himself. His responses weren't Role Play. He wasn't acting the Tough Cop. There are no Under Cover cops, nor are there rules that allow them to be in "Plain Clothes" or out of uniform. He even implies that he is well aware of others running around on the server not wearing their clan tags. This wasn't about egging him on. This wasn't about stolen ships.

In fact, this wasn't the first time an issue has popped up regarding clans taking action against others, without actually being on the server when the offense happened.
    ***PX Warning to UR on breach of Peace Treaty***

Sure CFPD is taking a break. Unfortunately, just as in that thread there, there are far more UNANSWERED posts about CFPD being no more, than there are about CFPD just taking a break.

I also still remind everyone... if CFPD was taking a break from being an active clan... then they were TAKING A BREAK. They therefore give up the right to say anything. It doesn't matter if they are still paying $30 a month ($20 euros, right?) for their system. They called a big Time Out. The game fines players if they decide to take a Mini Time out... if you hit F1 while you are in combat, you have to pay for it... so there is precedent that taking a time out comes with penalties. CFPD told everyone that they didn't want to play no more... doesn't matter if it was just "Until Further Notice". No one announced that the CFPD break was over... so there is no reason whatsoever why anyone should acknowledge any CFPD characters ACTING LIKE CFPD on or off the server. By their own admission they are taking a break. That's what taking a break means... it means they are stepping out of it. They aren't part of it. That means they aren't playing for the time being. You take a break at work, you don't get paid, and you don't have to work.

But what I'm hearing, is that the rules don't really apply in this case. I mean, Abras stood up for the rules, but otherwise I'm told there are subtleties and nuances here I don't understand?

First, CFPD is still renting it's system so it is still considered an Active Clan even tho not much CFPD pilots a flying around

No. it's not Even Though there aren't many CFPD flying around... they might be renting a system, but they declared they were TAKING A BREAK and STEPPING AWAY FROM PLAYING. That is completely different from the number of active members on the server dropping due to other duties in RL stepping in the way.

Second, 1138, as a CFPD member on hiatus, is acting like an ally of CFPD and has been given the powers to enforce the Redemption property rights.

Show me the post. At one point in the conversation, Gunny was quite proud of the fact that he only had 4 hours of play on that 1138 character. So, show me the forum post that proves you out on this.

Third, yup he's got a smart mouth... I suggest you don't bite too hard tho cause he is teasing you for fun.

He wasn't teasing. He was angry. He was angry because some guy he didn't know from Adam was quoting the rules to him. He made that clear by IMMEDIATELY getting insulting at that point. He made that clear by boasting about how he didn't need to know the rules because he wrote them. He was angry because he wasn't getting the respect he thought he deserved... and before you say anything about GUNNY deserving respect, this was all happening with some "1138" not Gunny.

• As I said last night, you don't understand whats going on here.

1. Until last night, I had ZERO tagged CFPD chars. Now I do. So there isn't any rule violation as you claim.
    2. Everyone who has been here knows 1138 is my char and its not a secret.
    3. Tarsus rules are subject to whatever Michael and I decide them to be, provided we post them here in the forum out of fairness.
    4. My character is a hard-assed cop, but some of you just don't get it.
    5. Me angry? Not a chance, I was having a nice chat with two PX while I was dealing with you and your space-debris associates.
    6. I had every right to inquire about the ship and so do a few others who are paid mercs to act as informants.
    7. I suggested we settle this in game, but you decided to bring it here to the forum. So there are going to be consequences. I will collect the 10 mil per redemption from each of you, even if you sell it, I will still collect in some fashion or another. {LNAW} is not law enforcement, so therefore you will need to submit a request to purchase ships and equipment from Tarsus. However as stated in our rules, you may trade freely at anytime, as well as conducting exploration.

This is the 2nd time ( I noticed ) that you ran to the forum to start a squabble. With me, it will be your last. Settle the matter in-game.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.