FOV Setting->Re Opened

There are 38 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Mr_Verbose.

• Thing will be bigger. With that res on 52' you will be playing doom 2. There is no effect from resolution or display size. There is however the problem of widescreen displays, which is addressed here.

Dino, why do you think that higher resolution, beside making things smaller, does change the way ships turn faster?

lol how touchy dude...just before few days u was n00b here (ur words) than u become missile expert in few days, now u are gunner expert.What is next.
    And u know timing is fucking important thing and i pay attention what and when u said.Just to let you know, before few days you was naive as French maid (this is saying here) and at every question ur answer was: "Idk why and idk what happening here"

Well I'm learning fast. I still don't know many things and fly by feel not by planned manouvers, but I think that after today I crossed the line between a rookie clanner and a regular clan pilot.

Also Bond, you have PM from me.

• Bcs a dude who use 1600x1200 told me that when his screen is wider, his mouse can go further, and it can turn faster.

Never could test that coz i only use 1024x768

• LOL. Change FOV to 120, check how fast do you turn. No difference in ship handling.
    But change res to 640x480 and see if you are turning slower. Same thinking.

So this is a "speed hack" the res and FOV really make diferences
    You have more visible screen to use your guns "aim advantage"

if this is not cheat or exploit or whatever you wanna call... What is?
    So i make a fresh install of CF and u make a tweak on fov and resolution... who has the advantage?
    Does all players in this mod know this feature?

Ive witness some players being banned and acused for much less

• FOV settings will be locked (anti-cheat) with CF1.9 and res totally handled automatically by the jflp.dll library...

you can either be patient or burn ppl you suspect on the public place in the meantime, with no proofs and no results either...

• Well ... I will post here off-topic: I have this message for all "Cheaters": You really think you are funny when you fight as a "invincible"? I rather think you are to coward to play a fair game. Better to be last PvPer than cheat in game because this behavior simply destroy fun for all and damage FL community. Is sad, than some ppl do not have a *honor* at least in game if not in RL.

... sry to all, but I simply must post this as I read few this type of thread in last days. :(

• So this is a "speed hack" the res and FOV really make diferences
    You have more visible screen to use your guns "aim advantage"

if this is not cheat or exploit or whatever you wanna call... What is?
    So i make a fresh install of CF and u make a tweak on fov and resolution... who has the advantage?
    Does all players in this mod know this feature?

Ive witness some players being banned and acused for much less

Raven, you have misunderstood me. Read again. There is ABSOLUTELY NO difference in how the ship handles when you change FOV or resolution and you DON'T see more with resolution change. I play on 5:4 display, which is incompatible with standard resolutions - if I run game in 1024x768, then I get lowered performance (don't even now how this is possible) and game looks like s***. If you want to see game how I see it, go to the last IC Expedition thread and check out my screenshots. And if I run game in 1024x768 - without change to FOV I will get THE SAME IMAGE like in 1280x1024, just STRETCHED to lower res - fat ships, eggy planets, elipsal trade lanes. Think.

Do all players in this mod know? I don't know if everyone is reading this forum, but the issue was open MUCH longer than I play FLCF, because everyone, who had widescreen display might have applied this solution without even knowing that it is giving that advantage. If I haven't talked with Tensing about him being accused and if I haven't known about FOV uses in FPS games, then you wouldn't even know that there is an issue and what is even funnier, users with widescreens who applied this solution wouldn't know that they have advantage neither.

Btw.: this solution was available here, on SWAT forum:
    font/resolution problemo
    http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hreadid=11069&boardid=216
    Nobody was even thinking about cheating until I tested that with Tensing.

Btw2.: I don't get it. You have played UT on FOV120 and here you call people cheaters because of this? I agree with Bond. Paranoia strikes hard these days.

Btw3.: I am playing with FOV 70.

Arrow: nice to hear that. I hope that gun turn problem will be adressed too, because I fear that even if resolutions will be handled by separate library, the wider resolutions will still have the advantage of guns turning farther because of the code bug that links their side range with on-screen visible space. Side range should really be locked to fixed angle. (And of course best dogfighting solution was in Freespace, where guns were mounted in fixed, forward only position and you had to turn whole ship to target anything, but that's just my inner FS-fanboi speaking...)

• Excellent thread.
    Obviously, Mr Vebrose is hard core gamer. My eyes are wide open now. lol.And really funny is that some old players deny that they have used FOV setting as an advantage. Facepalm for me and my time in that PvP.

I think this setting has a slight effect on missile track...how, why, do not ask ... just intuition.

• Well I made some changes last night from 70 to 90 then 120 since my 25" monitor can handle them all easily. What a difference it made in PvP. FOV 90 is native to my widescreen, however all this time I have been running the 70 FoV as the game coding is set. I can easily testify that my kill ratios jumped last night ( higher) due to this change, however adjusting your FoV outside the native limits of your monitor is simply a cheat and now I see why.

Next topic we need to address this speed/engine hack which is now being used by Bu||ets associates.

Granted I lost my love for CF a while ago, but I never cheated or used hacks ( not saying it didnt cross my mind to payback a few cheaters) and I lost some of my PvP skills too, but we are seeing "instant aces" yet again on the server and all of you who are online know which players they are. Running additional programs to make you lag, spamming mines in large numbers ( means you hacked the drop rate), engine hacks and the list goes on, all so "you" can have an advantage. Chances are this is how you conduct yourself in real life too and for that, I feel sorry for those of you who act this way.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• m8 in UT all players used fov. there was even a system command to change it...no needed to change ini values. Most servers had protection and i never saw a player being kicked becouse of fov.
    call it what you want but if you have a high wide screen u can use more eficient your guns. About the turning i really cant say becouse i didnt test it.
    what i see in game is some players with such good aim even in the midle of a fast turning, and a much short angle using reverse.

call it what you want but if you have a high wide screen u can use more eficient your guns.

yup, time to start up/down strafing.

players with such good aim even in the midle of a fast turning

this might be the effect of higher FOV, as you can see your enemy while doing strafed booster turn and guns can shoot on wider angle.

much short angle using reverse

never noticed that, I've seen only very fast fighters. who has such short angles? maybe this one requires research too.

• Juct my 2c .. hope it's still on target...

I have spent a lot of money on getting equipment that is not just 'good enough' to play CF, but equipment that will help me with the game , like nicer graphics, better Fraps, a Gamer's mouse is on the way.

I did not know about this FOV settings on my 24" wide screen monitor it makes a major difference giving a much better 'overview' of what is going on on the battlefield.

I am also spending another $70 on a decent gaming mouse.

I belief that upgrading your rig is a definite MUST for CF, and making use of the new capabilities is fair.

Tweaking the Client side code for speed, etc, is definitely not fair.

UPDATE

Duel monitor setup is a no go :S That would put the Field of Action right inbetween the two. Now Three monitors would be GOOD !!! 8o

I have setup my monitor for 1920 x 1080 and DURING TURNING, you can NOT shoot your guns past the original Screen limitations, but you have a wider field of view (FOV) and can anticipate better what the enemy is doing or going to do.

In fact, the faster you travel while turning, the lesser the usable kill angle for the guns.

Kind Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 8.1 X64, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz, 16GB 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GXT 460

Edited 2 times, last by Riebens ().

• Riebens, Tensing couldn't hit me with FOV70 when we were strafe/booster circling and could hit me in the same situation with FOV90. There is a difference in gun turn angle, take longer distances on FOV7 shorter on FOV90 into consideration. It is definitely giving a gunnery advantage. Could you make a screenshot on your widescreen 1920x1080 with FOV90? I'm a bit confused in the matter of ship position in this configuration. Post it in this thread please.

• Then I must be doing somethign wrong as FOV70 and FOV90 gives me the same results.

I am playing on FOV70

See the three image links below. The SPEED has no effect on the Gun angle, the TURNING has an effect.

At 80Kts without turning, I can shoot to the extents of my screen.

At 21Kts or 311 Kts, I can shoot only to the orginal extent WHILE TURNING.

This is my point.. In a dogfight, you are twisting and turning , and there is NO gun advantage, except for a bigger overview of the battle scene.

http://www.riebens.co.za/benimages/freelancer/POV1.jpg
    http://www.riebens.co.za/benimages/freelancer/POV2.jpg
    http://www.riebens.co.za/benimages/freelancer/POV3.jpg

As A Comparison

http://www.riebens.co.za/benimages/freelancer/800.jpg

Kind regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 8.1 X64, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz, 16GB 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GXT 460

Edited once, last by Riebens ().

• We can't really compare this in screenshots, because with FOV change every distance on screen changes a bit. I am afraid I will have to show you that on your own skin. Meet me in the arena and I will show you the difference in gunnery between FOV70 and FOV90.

Btw.: LOL, having a widescreen, on which FOV 90 is native, makes ship almost as close to player as on FOV70. Riebens, post 2 screencaps please: in both ship still, one with FOV70 and the second with FOV90. I would like to compare the differences.

• In cameras.ini you have:

You must remove read-only attribute from that file before saving. Save and undock / run game. Write here if it worked.