stuck in Styx

There are 22 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by uncleglennie.

• I'm playing single-player with a Bullup Mark III and managed to do the quests and get in Altair space... I dashed past Styx into Mandar, but I just get WTFPWND as soon as I load the system... how do I get past that gate and to Coalition space?

• with heavy guns

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    with heavy guns

well if only I could survive long enough to kill a singe one of them (which I can do with 3-4 hits)...
    It's not a lack of firepower thing, my problem is lack of health points.

• did u equip ur ship to the max? there r items to add hull and to help regain shields....

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

Originally posted by DC_Hägar
    did u equip ur ship to the max? there r items to add hull and to help regain shields....

Max that I could find around.
    I equipped Level 9 and 10 guns (namely Firekiss MK II and 2 GUARDIAN) and a Level 7 Freighter Shield (highest lvl I could find anywhere). I also have an Energy update Lvl 1. I just don't have the credits to buy some fancy lvl 10 armor or shield upgrade (and I also do no remember where those upgrades are on sale, I just saw them once).
    But I doubt that 100% more armor or even a large increase in Shield recharge rate and point wuold really make a difference, in these circumstances.
    I would just last 6 seconds instead of 2.

Also I need to load a previous save to go bribe reputation for The Coalition before entering its space, it seems.

• You're flying a freighter which has the disadvantage of having max Lvl7 shields. A very heavy fighter with Lvl10 Champion shields [available in Hiruga system] will give you a better chance. However, it can still get nasty so here's a tip: Get really good scanner so you can see things coming from far away. As soon as you enter the system, hit cruise and go into mouse flight [not auto pilot]. As soon as you see nomads, turn away from them and spam counter measures [Advanced CM works best]. Four or five should take care of the cruise disruptors they shoot at you and since you're in cruise and they are not, you can outrun them easily.

I suppose the cheat modes works but if you ever decide to make the jump to Multiplayer just remember...there is no cheat mode.

• That freighter is too slow to survive there... :D
    And as you said, seems you haven' visited the Crossfire systems yet... X-3043 and the rest 25 arround it. As in X system is sold an armor, like in the rest of main planets of the main houses... and you just saw it once. ^^ You have a LOT to explore, like the DK Galactic Core systems :D

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Originally posted by Michael
    That freighter is too slow to survive there...

I have not looked at every ship, Michael, but isn't the Bullpup Mk3 one of the FASTEST ships in the game?

It certainly is faster than any NPC I have ever encountered. The Bullpup Mk3 might not be the quickest-maneuvering ship in the game, but it is certainly one of the more "survivable" ships.

As Rex said, stay in cruise mode as much as possible. If you get disrupted or caught at standard speed, then turn on those wonderful dual thrusters and fly in a corkscrew pattern (move the mouse in circles so that you fly mostly in one direction but are constantly changing directions in order to limit the number of hits that you take).

For a few, vital, seconds, nothing will be able to catch you in a Bullpup Mk3.

(Note that the dual thrusters burn through thruster power quickly, so use engine kill with frequent taps of the thrusters to keep speed up and direction changing while conserving fuel. Also look for a pair of the better thrusters... say, at a Golden Chrysanthemum base, for example :) ).

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

Originally posted by sh4rp
    I'm playing single-player with a Bullup Mark III and managed to do the quests and get in Altair space... I dashed past Styx into Mandar, but I just get WTFPWND as soon as I load the system... how do I get past that gate and to Coalition space?

Is it possible that youre loading an autosave?

Enemy numbers seem to be insane if you load an autosave when you're jumping into a hostile environment. My trick has been to instantly turn around and jump back through the gate, repeat to get back to where you were initially, and abracadabra! all the hostiles are gone for 20 seconds or more so you have time to get those cruise engines going.

As for the Bullpup Mk III (as recommended by BullWinkle - thanks again) I've found that to be one of the best ships for exploring.
    stabbling twin (advanced) thrusters combined with engine kill can keep you travelling at 300+. If you find better ones you go faster, but I found that the advanced thrusters and a simple lv7 shield were enough to get my way out of trouble. If you want to actually take the bad guys on then lv10 armour, shield gen and lv5 power is highly recommended.

Also, if you think youre going to get CD'd while cruising you have 2 options :

1. The obvious 'spam CM's'. 2-3 countermeasures seem to do the trick.
    2. Hit engine kill and drift away at cruise speeds. (Occasionally, a CM / missile seems to hit and engages your engine thus killing your speed. Not sure about how / why this occurs, perhaps someone experienced could give a better idea)

Happy exploring :)

• I solved the problems using a cheat, but how is one supposed to run past all those Nomads?

I had the same problem, I always tried to escape from pursuing nomads, and they would kill me.
    Here is the solution :)

• If you go straight to the gates you won't even see nomads coming in front of you... just some laterals which you can avoid with a little turning the opposite way :D I (nearly ? ) never fight nomads or DKs in my trips to Altair alone... and I had many :D

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• just to add...

when Nomads appear while cruising, use turret view and press R to see the closest enemy...by using turret view to locate enemy and keep your eye on them, they get spooked and don't close in on you, they stay at a distance and give you time to breath...

try this it works for every hostile alien

the Bullpup 3 is one of the best multi-purpose ships in CF, great hull, cargo space, dual thrusters, and excellent firepower. :)

• Yep, bullpup 3 thrusting and engine killing is the best way to evade the NPCs with CDs :D

• Best advice...get the best possible equipment BEFORE you enter Altair, you'll need it.

Sirius has nearly all the stuff you need, so look around, read all the information, play the quests, and always be on the lookout.

Have fun. :)

• Yeah I just had my first explore of Altair on MP and I NEEDED those Upgrades and guns... I had everything you can get mounted on a tempest and it still got pretty hairy at times :P

Clan: ~TR~ "The Runners" Characters: [CYBORG] [Nostromo] Allied Clan: -=UG=- "United Guardians"

"See ya space cowboy!"

• Destroying Angel...I remember my first time in Altair, it was an eye opener to say the least.

Meeting the coalition rogues really showed me that things were going to be a bit more challenging. It was like going to a Glasgow Rangers home game with a Celtic jersey on. Not good.

• haha yes that sounds about right...

I think I had an easier time than the other folk I have chatted to in-game when travelling through Altair, as my rep is neutral with the Coalition rogues :D

Just those swarms of nomads with DK mixed in there that's the trouble! O_O

Clan: ~TR~ "The Runners" Characters: [CYBORG] [Nostromo] Allied Clan: -=UG=- "United Guardians"

"See ya space cowboy!"