Story - quest 4?

There are 18 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• Hi All,

I'm a bit lost trying to follow the storyline in SP. I collected my last blackbox from

and it finishes by saying

In the course of doing that I've found many new 1.8 systems (very cool), and many new ships (also very cool, but cant decide which I like the most!) but no further story.

In my desperation, I've made about 120m cr and gone to buy the osiris bs with a mind to go and explore the DK systems.

All rumours seem to have disappeared from bars in the coalition stations, and apart from finding the fairly obvious but seemingly inert sleeperships in

I'm at a bit of a loss.

I guess Ive got a couple of questions here :

1. Is it right that there doesnt seem to be any bar 'news' any more on coalition bases/planets, or is my install corrupt?

2. Should I go to DK space on a hunt for clues, or am I missing something in coalition space?

Thanks for any help :)

• 1. nope - its not ok... if you can dock then it should have rumours

2. yep its worth exploring

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Originally posted by jimmyBB
    All rumours seem to have disappeared from bars in the coalition stations

JimmyBB, You are the third person (including myself) with a similar report (an apparent "dead end" to clues in Coalition space).

If I take your description literally then OP is correct: you have missed something obvious.

However, if you got stuck where I did, then OP's suggestion will not help you at all!

Discussing this on the forum may require too many spoilers, so I suggest that we discuss it via PM, and then report back here if the result has value to the community and/or OP, ok?

I will send you a PM with some questions in a few minutes.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• Thanks for the replies chaps.

Can I just double check something - by saying that there is no news in bars any more, I mean that the news icon doesnt come up at bars. I usually see a suitcase for the missions, but no 'piece of paper' icon for the server news.

Is this correct for the coalistion planets and bases? or is there supposed to be a server news available at almost every dock?

Thanks again.

Can I just double check something - by saying that there is no news in bars any more, I mean that the news icon doesnt come up at bars. I usually see a suitcase for the missions, but no 'piece of paper' icon for the server news.

Is this correct for the coalistion planets and bases? or is there supposed to be a server news available at almost every dock?

Thank you for the clarification. Somebody else will have to give you an "official" answer, but it does sound unusual to me. There are some bases without News icons, but most have them.

Which bases have no News icons? Have you checked at bases in

recently?

EDIT: If you have not yet decrypted the encrypted message, then how will you get to Dom Kavash space?

I am slightly confused about where you are stuck.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• Bullwinkle - I stumbled across a jumpgate to

, which I assume is DK space since I couldnt see any dark ion cannons or friends around, and there's a hint of danger in the music that plays when you get there :D Can I just continue on without

?

Bond - Tried and tried again, sadly no dice

For information the 'bug' started very shortly after the end of the standard freelancer SP story conclusion. I've reloaded all saves around that time, and all of a sudden, just after

(not sure if its just coincidence) all server news just disappears.

I'll try a reinstall soon, but I fear all my savegames are gubbed.

Edit : not that it's a worry, I plan to come to MP just as soon as Ive found inner core on SP so a knackered savegame just missing a bit of story this time around :)

I stumbled across a jump ... which I assume is DK space

Can I just continue on ...?

a knackered savegame just missing a bit of story this time around :)

Yep, that sounds like the right place.

For clarification, have you:

The clue that you seem to be missing should be in Rumors rather than News. Of course, if the Rumors are blank as well, then you are out of luck!

Yes, you should be able to continue with what you know. The missing clue should not cause trouble.

However, you will need to see News again -- in other systems.

As you say, if you do need to re-install, then just install as Open SP. That way you will not have to re-play the campaign.

• Guys, mind if I ask a question in this thread as I think I'm right behind you in your game progression -

What's the status of your in-game DK and Nomad relationship?

Also too I've been getting the no news no rumors bug I think - I no longer let any station anywhere go without a pit-stop just to check for info while i'm in that system - I've visted all of know Coalition Space.

The last serious 'quest' (or rather request it was more like)was in the Inner Core at the DK stations, nothing of significance since then :( ...

Originally posted by voxxraiden
    What's the status of your in-game DK and Nomad relationship?

I am not sure what to think about your DK vs. Nomad report, Voxxraiden, which is why I did not say anything. I have not seen DK's fighting Nomads.

The only thing that I can add to the discussion is that the reputation system has sub-factions. That is why you can be friendly with a faction but some of the members of that faction are still enemies... like if you attacked their base or their friends or something.

If it is "possible" for DK's to fight Nomads, then my guess is that it would be a location-specific sub-faction fighting. But OP knows the details.

In which system(s) have you seen them fight?

Also too I've been getting the no news no rumors bug I think

I do not think that is a "bug". If anything, it appears to me that some of the clues can be obscure, depending on which path you take through them. But we have to figure out specific cause-and-effect in order to give OP a report that he can use.

The last serious 'quest' (or rather request it was more like)

Did you fulfill the (re)Quest?

I am not certain, but I suspect that the Inner Core is the last Quest that is currently working.

Perhaps someone who knows for sure can tell us what is the last Quest?

• The Systems I've observered the DK vs. Nomads was in Gurm mainly -

In Sovetskaya the Coalition is suddenly fighting the DK too but they where not at 1st I swear!

When I was in Gurm the same day I came out of the Altair, The DK AND the Coalition fighters in there were like best buddies, I thought that was normal. When I restarted the game today, they were enemies again -

My Avira hates the Crossfire.exe really bad - I always have to disable it just to play. I wonder did it alter something at first the last time I played it ??o_0??

Ummm, without giving too much away when I was in the Altair the (re) quest was just that was it not?!? (Inside the Bright-Swan-like Stations the same re(quest) was at all of them) - I guess I'll do what they ask if the opportunity was to present itself but I just don't know what they wanted me to do after that, heck, I thought when I was going to un-dock the station would come under some kind of attack but I got nothing like that through the rest of my adventures through the Altair - and I was really really hoping to shred some more of the most awesome of bad guys- if I messed something can somebody P L E A S E PM me so I can know -

I absolutely LOVE this quest stuff really - it works and has me hooked - - - just be nice if they where dumb-down just a teeny bit for idiots like me :D

The Systems I've observered the DK vs. Nomads

Gurm mainly

I have been attacked by Nomads in Gurm when the DKs were friendly. I believe that is due to the "local sub-faction" that I mentioned previously. The Nomads that are still pissed at me are the ones that I killed on my way into DK territory.

As for Nomads vs. DK... it makes some sense, to me, that they could have "differences" in Gurm or Sovetskaya (after you return from the Inner Core). But OP actually knows how it works.

My Avira hates the Crossfire.exe really bad - I always have to disable it just to play. I wonder did it alter something at first the last time I played it ??o_0??

If your antivirus crippled part of Crossfire, I would expect you to have more problems (like the folks complaining about seeing "IDs?" on their infocards).

Does it bother you that Nomads fight DKs? Or are you just reporting it because you did not expect it?

• No - no it doesn't bother really it's just that I guess I got caught up in the 'Serenity' of the Altair & it's music!(best word I could think of :D) I never expected to see the Parents and it's 'children' fighting so violently towards each other, I mean, you've should have seen it it was SO COOL -

A line-formation of Nomads that I just knew where heading straight towards me flew right over me in a picture-perfect video type way as if they were filming BSG,ST, or SW for that matter - and went straight for the DK Gunboat!!

I guess if anything with these quest it's all too easy to had miss something only later to find out way back when it was right there in my face ;( ...

A line-formation of Nomads that I just knew where heading straight towards me flew right over me in a picture-perfect video type way as if they were filming BSG,ST, or SW for that matter - and went straight for the DK Gunboat!!

Yeah, I have seen some amazingly funny and "creative" behavior on the part of the NPCs. The AI engine has a lot more intelligence than was used in vanilla Freelancer.

• i might be wrong now but believe that on the coalition stations are no news at all, but the npcs offer rumors containing that quest info
    i havent played that part of the game for some time but i believe the npcs hold the info

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Thanks for clearing that up OP,

I'm pretty sure I've encountered some sort of bug or corruption, as no dock anywhere in the game now has the 'server news' option in the bar.

Additionally, none of the people in the bars in sovetskaya want to speak to me apart from the occasional job offer, and I havnt received the story info that I'm told I should have.

The following are things that might have caused it IMHO :

I have sold all datadisks, and retained 2 black boxes. Could this have affected the behaviour of bar rumours?

I ran through Sovetskaya pretty quick the first time, it could be that I missed the guy in the bar and undocked without speaking to him/her. Would they remain there until I spoke to them or does a player only get one chance to talk to the rumour giver?

I migrated from 1.8 to 1.81 without clearing out all savegames. (although I did uninstall mod, uninstall FL, reboot, reinstall FL, reactivate mod)

Just a thought, but is it possible that the rumour giver doesnt appear all the time - Like some of the bribe givers dont appear until you revisit a bar a few times..?

• i can not imagine any ingame events which make news disappear... they work independent from such stuff

and the rumours should always appear on the stations but only a very few of them contain such rumours

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Fixed by fresh reinstall, things are making so much more sense now the news is available.[203]

Should have tried before, but I only clean installed 10 days ago.

Maybe Avast AV disagreed with something and ate it? [77]

• I'm using professional Avast AV, and it made no problem with the mod, and less when you deactivate it when playing :D

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis