/v/lancer Crossfire theives?

There are 144 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Hellraiser.

• Fucking bastards! They are nothing more than thieves and bastards! Have they no dignity? They actually enjoy to steal stuff and publish it on theirs server. Good luck with this OP this rats need to be exterminated from ANY Freelancer community.

• hey is anyone here a good hacker?and is there someone who can create a very good and clever virus(ive heard that some virus can even ruin the bios)? im a rookie. a good hacker can get into the server,somehow disconnect everyone exept him and can launch a virus attack on it that way the server is dead. well i dont know....they have done an act of war

op just dont get touchy

• Damn, they came back to steal more stuff!!

Why can't they simply ask politely to use something. They might not get a yes but still, it would at least be more civilized...

[CFPD]Lone_Renegade __________[CFPD]Lone_Renegade_TR
    [CFPD]Lone_Renegade*/**/***__[CFPD]Lone_Renegade_BS

Crossfire Federal Police Department Website

When you want to curse and swear, don't despair, use some flair. Be creative with your words, and enjoy the whole affair!

• well, i don't exactly condone the use of hacking as this steps into the legal zone where real people can go to a real jail. besides, if they're that good at "stealing" perhaps they have a few other good talents to retaliate with.

if there's a legal route to take, i would use that first. just my two cents.
    -PipeHitter.

[SIZE=6]

TRAMPLE THE WEAK! HURDLE THE DEAD!

[/SIZE]

Originally posted by PipeHitter
    well, i don't exactly condone the use of hacking as this steps into the legal zone where real people can go to a real jail. besides, if they're that good at "stealing" perhaps they have a few other good talents to retaliate with.

if there's a legal route to take, i would use that first. just my two cents.
    -PipeHitter.

Freakin this.

I assume all SWAT stuff is copywrited and will hold up in hopefully ANY court of law, regardless of country OP. Apparently it's time to find SWAT a good copywrite lawyer and a send 4chan a nice, all legaese-like CEAST AND DESIST court order telling to effectively stop using any SWAT created/copywrited material in "/v/lancer" or get sued for copywrite violations/theft of material/damages to the extent of the law.

• hacking is no option
    i did deal with this problem and the mod is gone from moddb

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• yay, just noticed it... that the mod is out of moddb.
    ut they could still make their mod popular on other forums... if they want. :/

Not sure wy, but I heard a lot of TBD and nearly the same of 4chan... at many other game cracks, and trainers and mods¿...

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• ill make sure that they dont set their feet into the official FL community

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

Originally posted by Ryleous Arkane
    I assume all SWAT stuff is copywrited and will hold up in hopefully ANY court of law, regardless of country OP. Apparently it's time to find SWAT a good copywrite lawyer and a send 4chan a nice, all legaese-like CEAST AND DESIST court order telling to effectively stop using any SWAT created/copywrited material in "/v/lancer" or get sued for copywrite violations/theft of material/damages to the extent of the law.

That would be the normal thing to do, except for one thing: Microsoft owns Freelancer (and most things related to Freelancer). So OP can copyright CF, but a court would have to debate his legal "ownership" of every tiny bit of it... and that is a LOT of stuff to debate! At minimum it would make a court battle expensive for OP. If it became public enough for Microsoft to step in, then CF would risk being closed down.

OP did the right thing -- as he often seems to do when there is a dispute -- he appealed to his peer(s) at ModDb and had this guy thrown off the board.

As a side note -- from a mostly-outside-observer point of view (POV) -- I think that Crossfire would be better (and would have fewer compatibility issues -- or, at least, easy fixes for them) if it were open-sourced (with OP still the decision-maker), like most other Freelancer mods.

OP will, eventually, move on to other things. When he does, the world will be better off if there is a healthy community that knows how to support CF into the future.

Without a thriving long-term support effort, CF will whither quickly -- and that would be a shame for [SIZE=3]such an awesome work of art as Crossfire[/SIZE]. And it will not be simple for OP to pass CF on to a small group of others. After all, Freelancer modding is a huge, social, reverse-engineering project. Technology Transfer is not an easy topic, and there is always something lost in the translation.

Releasing Crossfire "into the wild" would ensure its popularity and longevity, thereby making OP an historical leader who will be remembered by many for years to come. If CF stops growing, it will only take a few years for most people to forget about it.

I am not suggesting that this be done instantly... it's just an idea to work into a long-range plan. (Or ignore the entire idea... it's really OP's call. :) )

So, the ironic thing about the above is, that the jerk on ModDb (Pastaspace) had a pretty good idea. If he were not such an a--hole, he might have been able to achieve something of value -- like a "Freelancer Greatest Hits" collection. A (cooperative) collection (with permission of the authors) could advertise all of the great modders in the world and would give players a taste of several mods without the painstaking effort of installing them all. A Greatest Hits collection would be something of value to modders and players alike. That was the good part of Pastaspace's plan.

But Pastaspace has such an extreme and offensive attitude that it makes me want new weapons -- like a "blanket net" missile and a gun that fires socks full of coins (or socks filled with bars of soap), so that everybody on the board who is pissed off at him could throw him a traditional "blanket party". :D

Bottom Line: Good job of choosing the right path, OP!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• All right just a serious advice. once 4chan set his mind on something, there is no stopping...

I have seen what they do

• well - good that they are facing me then, i have stopped these guys twice already

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Good to see everyone enthusiastic...
    But, I have to again warn you guys, 4chan is...
    Well, unstoppable. They've pissed off thousands of people, and I'm not saying they don't deserve retribution, but they are masters at trolling and harassment, I recall the starport thread saying how Pastaspace didn't need the FL Community, that he was using it just to "announce their presence". They might be wanting us act like this...

• So if I understand right, these guys took stuff from Crossfire and dint ask or even give credit for it? Man, that's low! It really sucks when ppl don't give you credit for your hard work! As far as a copyright goes, tho, I'm not entirely crtain that you can copyright a mod for an allready established IP (tho I could be rong lol). Do you have any documentation or anything that you could use to prove a copyright claim? Or maybe you could find a loophol of some kind that would let you claim copyright. Othrwise I dun think you can do that. But I hope you can, because I'd hate to see content stolen from this awesome mod! Btw, what exactly did they take?

Originally posted by The Chairman
    So if I understand right, these guys took stuff from Crossfire and dint ask or even give credit for it? Man, that's low! It really sucks when ppl don't give you credit for your hard work! As far as a copyright goes, tho, I'm not entirely crtain that you can copyright a mod for an allready established IP (tho I could be rong lol). Do you have any documentation or anything that you could use to prove a copyright claim? Or maybe you could find a loophol of some kind that would let you claim copyright. Othrwise I dun think you can do that. But I hope you can, because I'd hate to see content stolen from this awesome mod! Btw, what exactly did they take?

Law, and the practice of law, are two entirely different things. No matter what the law might be, a company with a huge legal budget and lawyers on retainer is going to win the majority of cases. Judges are unpredictable, and juries more so. Going into court is never a sure thing, and the risk is too high here, IMHO (although IANAL).

This is not a contest that can be won in a courtroom.

OP is doing the right thing. No normal, decent, board will tolerate Pastaspace for long.

PS: My grandfather used to say, "Never get into a pissing contest with a skunk." It was good advice! :)

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• the content of the CF mod is copyrighted by me and in several cases (game engine, some models) by the original owners.

however this is not the topic and i give a damn about what 4chan can do
    will they hack SWAT? well others have tried that before and even if they succeed i would simply upload a backup

if you ask me these ppl have to get stopped
    they have to get removed from every official FL site, banned from the entire FL community.
    their server should be excluded from the global server list aswell (and that actually is possible)
    cut off every connection between them and the rest of FL and they will end up with an empty server and a mod that nobody cares about

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• OP, I am certain that you have the influence to do the above, and I agree that Pastaspace and 4chan are unhealthy.

But you cannot fight with a skunk without taking a lot of the stink on yourself.

You can probably beat Pastaspace, but I don't think that 4chan can be beaten so easily. Like the Paparrazi, Al-Qaeda, and The Pirate Bay, there is no single vulnerability, and failed attempts to stop them only increase their determination and "public support" -- as fringe as that might be.

Would 4chan hack your web site? I doubt it. There are more effective things that they could do (and I am not going to suggest them here). You might be able to beat one skunk, but taking on an entire community of them is going to be difficult, and you will certainly come out of it smelling as bad as the skunks.

The most effective way of dealing with attention-seeking hecklers is to ignore them. Close this thread, stop talking about them in public, don't allow them the thrill of combat. Don't give them the satisfaction of a response of any kind. Without attention they will have no purpose, and their energy will fade.

It's like trying to beat one of those sci-fi aliens that feeds off of your anger -- the only way to "win" is to refuse to fight.

The most effective way of dealing with attention-seeking hecklers is to ignore them.

the fl community not long ago made the same mistake to ignore trouble makers and hope for the best
    the fl community badly had to pay for it

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• This isn`t about closing 4chan down for good, it was never the case. This is about cutting them off from the FL community and not letting them get credit for stolen content. As OP stated above:

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    cut off every connection between them and the rest of FL and they will end up with an empty server and a mod that nobody cares about

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

Being a Cynic isn't that bad. Either I'm right or I am pleasantly surprised.

My Homepage

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature
    (" )_(" ) to help him multiply, because that's what bunnies do.