Demotivation

There are 50 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by {LP}SaxonRaider{X}.

• I dont know the reasons, maybe it was the RP shit, maybe it was the latest problems with aplying the new voices to the mod, maybe its something differernt but in the past days i totally failed to find the motivation to work on CF.

whatever i tried to start this week has been stopped pretty soon as i totally lost my patience.
    i dont know how to motivate myself... the more i try the harder it gets

ill try to direct some of the work that remains to the community while i try to find something that can bring back my interest into modding and finishing CF. Maybe i just worked too much as i was busy with CF every single day since months.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Take a break. From my experience with writing it's sometimes just necessary to put it all away and - if possible - not even think about it.
    It will of course stop any progress but maybe prove to be the fastest way to get the work done.

Of course, unlike in your case, nobody is waiting for me to finish my work aka crappy stories.

• [697] Even the most prolific artists need to recharge thair "muse" from time to time. Take some time off, play your favorite shooter, watch some sci-fi, have a few beers, get some sleep. Then I'll have some time to get the voices right, your energy will recharge, and the project will resume. [prost]

@Lucy - IMO, you have a gift for fiction! In fact, I included the main theme of one of your stories into a bar rumor for 1.8; I probably should do some more of them... :D

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

• Agreed on all counts. :P

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• As Lucy said take a rest. I ma a ship modeller and sometimes i cannot make a proper wing lol not the whole ship, some weeks ago i tried to make a freighter, I made brainstorming in my mind to come with a good desing then started to make that ship...but it looked odd. I made a 2 week rest and it was worth it...with fresh, refreshed mind yesterday I made a good fighter. My advise is to take a rest, play something different from FL, Freespace :-D for example, forget for some days the FL and u will have the motivation again imo...

• I thought me recording screaming like a little girl would bring some motivation to release 1.8? ^^

the best is to just forget about FL, get drunk and laid and thats it xD

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• agree with all of these people here, get laid, drunk and then play something else or just play good old 1.7, wreak havoc and things will get better :D

|DP|Shock · |DP|Shockwave · |DP|Skyfall · |DP|Red.Dwarf

• Are you all crazy? I say:
    make a list of todo's, order them with priorities and feasabilities, start working beginning on the simplest and fastest to finish project and leave the hardest for the last projects.

Its not good to put your head into the sand short before its finished. Take a rest - but not two weeks^^ get your minds clear and lets finish the remaining parts - even with the help of others as far its possible.

Tschaka - du schaffst das schon!

Demotivation due to RP "shit" is something we have to be aware of every single day. Get rid of what had happened and lets look into the future. There is no need to be demotivated! The already finished work is brilliant and be sure that it was nearly 99% of your work. Be satisfied what you reached until now and lets solve the remaining issues step by step.

Pfff - holiday - thats something we cannot afford right now ;)

• You seem to be suffering from a developer's version of "writers block" ... which is particularly common amongst perfectionists - or so I am told.

Also, the thing to understand about motivation is that it cannot be forced. It's the by-product of a whole bunch of underlying factors, and true motivation is not really something that you can "choose" on a conscious level. Taking a few steps back for introspection along with some well deserved R&R and TLC could very well be all that is required to ignite that spark again.

While I am fairly new to this forum, I have been playing Freelancer for many years now, and I have been involved with computer games since the forlorn days of the Pentium 286. In that time, I don't recall coming across ANY mod for ANY game in a similar genre that comes even close to matching the "WoW" factor that Crossfire 1.7 offers.

If what I have seen is anything to go by, Crossfire 1.8 is set to shatter the benchmarks in terms of what can be made possible in a game mod by a small group of highly dedicated and obviously talented individuals. Certainly, there has never been a more anticipated Freelancer mod than Crossfire 1.8, and in my humble opinion, you are one of the finest modders that this world has ever seen.

This does not mean however that you won't struggle with motivation from time to time.

Let's face it ... visionaries, pioneers, inventors, writers, artists and creators never have it easy. They take a lot of rap from the public who criticize just about every action, drop of ink, typed word, line of code, brush stroke, musical note or hand craft that they invest towards their creations ... right up until the proverbial light bulb moment when they finally get praised and recognized. They work like demons for many thousands of hours, wondering themselves why they do it, and sometimes they don't even get paid attention, let alone money.

They push themselves to breaking point regularly, and after all of the blood, sweat and tears, it becomes so easy to just chuck in the towel. Yet even when they do give up, they start hating themselves just for quitting. That is how powerful dreams and visions can be, and sometimes they are just so good that the world has to see them ... somehow.

Nothing truly good ever comes easy, and some of your biggest successes in life happen when you are just about to quit.

Sure ... words are cheap, and I am not part of the developers team for CF 1.8. Be that as it may, I can say without reservation that regardless of what happens from here on, you have earned the timeless respect from myself and countless others from all around the world. I salute both you and the rest of the CF team.

The Mona Lisa? Shakespeare? The Crossfire Mod? it's a perception really. You don't always see the work behind the creation.

• op i said once before your passion for crossfire in more than evident in constant and persistant efforts on a great mod in the version now the one pending and the future.

but the robots are in the mod and thats something your not your human, as the other members have said clean break forget the mod rest relaxation and then make important decisions which we will all respect
    kermit[307]

• Very good few posts here :) I agree with them all I cant say it better xD but to sum up, take a break and let the motivation find you ;)

However if forcing your motivation is what you want then what I would do is think about the community. Though its not recommended because then the mod will feel like a job to you :P and as I recall correctly, its more of a hobby than a job for you 8), so, step back, relax (with some popcorn) and enjoy some break time 8)

• Do what needs to be done Op, I'm not well spoken enough in English to add much more to what has been said.
    So I'll only say that the only game I have played for more then a few hours, and the only game that captured my imagination for so long, and made me return when i have so much other things to do then gaming is Crossfire. And for that you have all my appreciation. You have done for FL and the community so much that Microsoft should have paid your weight in gold.

Rank + Codename: Captain Blade
    Wing: Dragon Wing
    Organization + Leader: DragonCorps - DC_Hägar

Delta 007 wrote:You seem to be suffering from a developer's version of "writers block" ... which is particularly common amongst perfectionists - or so I am told.

Centurion wrote:
    Even the most prolific artists need to recharge thair "muse" from time to time. Take some time off, play your favorite shooter, watch some sci-fi, have a few beers, get some sleep. Then I'll have some time to get the voices right, your energy will recharge, and the project will resume.

Lucy wrote:
    Of course, unlike in your case, nobody is waiting for me to finish my work aka crappy stories.

Lady have a gut to admit, shame on us, guys :( ;)

@all [thumb]

@ OP
    Active holidays, and try to honestly admit, doing it that you do, because you love, not only because of others. ;)

last minute edit: i almost forget to say post by Huor is also good :P

• midlive...? wtf?
    what are you talking about?
    do you know more than i do?
    i still have a few centuries before that happens

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    midlive...? wtf?
    what are you talking about?
    do you know more than i do?
    i still have a few centuries before that happens

Damn - German health care is even better than I thought. ^^

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• im more the "lets climb a mountain" type guy

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,