CF1.8 development process

There are 576 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Bond.

• Sounds reasonable.

SMG_myric, SMG_RDaneel, SMG_MULTIVAC

Interested in joining SMG? PM me

Those people who think they know everything
    are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

• Yes, and now most of PvP will be more longer than 1-3 min as usual :)

CF chars - Maxbur and derivatives
    Roleplay on server: Merc/Smuggler
    You can hire me for all sort of job: dirty and not so - but I`ll make it clean. It will cost you :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    Einstein

• I don't know, may be this will effect on the spammers but still i think limiting the amount you can carry missles would be more effective cuz really good pilots would use missles, only when they see a clear shots but the ppl who fire missle on every turn, 4 secs rate won't prevent them from doing it every time to get a lucky shot.

---------------------------------------ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็_(ツ)_ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Originally posted by hipogriff
    I don't know, may be this will effect on the spammers but still i think limiting the amount you can carry missles would be more effective cuz really good pilots would use missles, only when they see a clear shots but the ppl who fire missle on every turn, 4 secs rate won't prevent them from doing it every time to get a lucky shot.

50 missels are even less if you need them for a DK-trip to hyperspace. Other mods have up to 150 space for missles.

-------------(IOC)X-Ray---------------(IOC)Anubis--------------

• that's why other mods sux :) And i don't think you need that many missles for a DK trip... You can use guns, guns are effective too. After all you are not shooting on a real person who is moving fast around so you barely manage to get one shot on him. It's npc which is even staying time to time still ...

---------------------------------------ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็_(ツ)_ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Originally posted by hipogriff
    that's why other mods sux :) And i don't think you need that many missles for a DK trip... You can use guns, guns are effective too. After all you are not shooting on a real person who is moving fast around so you barely manage to get one shot on him. It's npc which is even staying time to time still ...

i think you never was in hyperspace
    and 6 guns? you will quickly ran out of power

-------------(IOC)X-Ray---------------(IOC)Anubis--------------

Due to the longer time you have to wait before you can fire the next missile the damage done by missile spam gets reduced while normal guns get more attractive for fights.

Talking about guns and balance:

I rate a working PvP balance much more important than an extended story and systems everybody will visit maybe once a month. Of course exploring was always and should always be a main activity for everyone. But when you have seen it all, when you have enough money and the best equipment, you will do PvP.

The current "meta" looks like this:

Lagg with armor and those other maximum equipment
    2x Hull killing missiles
    1x Shield killing missile
    3x any High End gun
    2 different CDs
    1 optional mine that nobody uses
    1 CM

If you ask anyone here whats dealing the most damage, the answer will be the missiles. But whats 10 times more important is that the guns do about no damage at all. Using guns is not only hard because ships seem to be so small/fast that no bullet hits, also you virtually get punished for carrying too many.
    First of all there is the energy usage which makes 6 high end guns a real pain (My solution (the class 8 Debilitators) are bugged at least on me). The other thing is that the projectile speeds of the weapons differ. That means basicly that you can not rely on the crosshair very much. As we know 4 PPCs deal as much shield damage as 2 Tizonas. But you will only hit with either the Tizonas OR the PPCs. And thats why nobody wants to use the Tizonas. Oh, and while the 2 Missiles kill half of your hull, a hit with 4 Guns will not even kill 1/10 of the hull

Now about your changes:
    The missile recharge times might work to reduce the fireing rates but...
    - BSs will be overpowered in 1vs1 situations, dunno if that is ment to happen, I just thought it would be a good thing to add here (You can usually make their lives harder by spamming mines around them and shoot torps and missiles while attacking).
    - Of course missiles will still be used as much if guns dont work. That will only result in slightly longer fights.

After all this whining I still hope you will find some constructive elements in it.

• I'd have to agree on most points. As a gunslinger it seems obvious that codename Mk IIs and tizonas are more effective in PvP than PPCs/Gatts/DKAs (which are choice weapons against NPCs). High ping and lack of skill might be to blame, but this "meta" Black describes really feels like the mod's present supremacy fighter. A pilot like me who uses guns and less-nimble ships is at a severe disadvantage. Dying a lot is okay, but it is frustrating having next to no chance (my standard of "victory" is now inflicting 25% shield damage once during the fight). Thus, when I log on it is generally to fight NPCs, explore, trade, or chat with people. Usually I will avoid PvP.

It's not that PvP isn't fun, but the mod's ships and weapons are gathering dust for the most part. There could be so much variety. Without it comes boredom. Freedom and flexibility is at the heart of the game. That can only be encouraged by modding so much... Better guns or new VHF stats would be difficult and likely not solve the root problem (though shiny new things are great). It is up to the individual to decide what kind of ship to use. Should folks be picking VHFs based on their ideal characteristics and gut appeal, or on their practical ability to make a setup seeking out and exploiting any imbalance in the mod?

Of course... my purpose is not to decide for other people what choices to make. Most players appear rather happy with how things are right now, and that's good. All the same, there is always room for improvement. To whatever extent that potential is realized I will continue to fly my clunky Salin, use guns, love the addons, experiment with new features, and be deeply appreciative for the hard work being done. Hopefully people will be understanding and not frown upon my reluctance to spend any time at all PvPing.

The planned adjustment to refire rate great, but there is also a much larger issue left to be wrestled with.
    Missile setup -> [30] <- gun setup. :D

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• Nice comment Black, abs agreeed with both of you

• Crossfire is mode with best pvp i don't see any reason to change anything.

"Spammers is very easy to kill"

ISTINA O ZIVOTU !!!
    .Ne mozes dotaknuti sve svoje zube jezikom
    . Svi idioti nakon &#269;itanja prve istine to i pokuaju
    .Prva tvrdnja je la
    .Sad se smijes jer si shvatio da si idiot...
    .Uskoro &#269;es ovo poslati sljede&#263;em idiotu
    .Jos uvjek je smjeak na tvom licu jer znas da &#269;es
    od nekoga napravit idiota

Originally posted by Black The other thing is that the projectile speeds of the weapons differ. That means basicly that you can not rely on the crosshair very much. As we know 4 PPCs deal as much shield damage as 2 Tizonas. But you will only hit with either the Tizonas OR the PPCs. And thats why nobody wants to use the Tizonas.

thats an old prop, i propose new tiz (maybe named DK Tiz :) )
    with same speed and refire rate as DKA or PPC long time ago

"Spammers is very easy to kill"

yes duh, for CD spammers hehe :D

• I fully second Black's and Drakon's observations.

Originally posted by duh
    Crossfire is mode with best pvp i don't see any reason to change anything.

I think the best pvps i ever had was in vanilla FL. Some of the best roleplay too, btw.

• question: what do you actually discuss about?
    I said that i already did those changes...

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Can we expect some balance updates in the first months after the release? Because changing
    something and claiming that from now on everything will be perfect usually doesnt work.

Dont get that wrong, there is irony hidden somewhere in the sentence.

• if i claim it then it will be perfect

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!