what keeps you playing?

There are 31 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• First there was "Elite" then "Protostar" then "Privateer" then Freelancer.

I've played Freelancer hundreds of times and with so many configurations I lost count.

I play to relax after work. I've been working with computers since 1982 and I have several at home for work and play. My Freelancer / RPG computer is a screamer and I enjoy just turning it on. After a long hard day at work, I can sit down for an hour and play until I forget about the problems and buttheads I had to deal with all day.

After I retire in two years, I'll still have Freelancer with one Mod or another to keep my mind sharp and my fingers nimble.

When old memories haunt me from my days in Vietnam, I hop into Freelancer and fly until I'm free again. A real bitch to understand if you haven't been there, but it is my place of solitude.

I keep one computer with Win95, just so I can still play Privateer when the urge hits me.

I think the bottom line is...I play Freelancer because it is the best and most realistic. Your Mods make it even better. May you never stop modding. Freelancer is forever, or until I die.

Thanks for your time.

Franco428
    Dumfries, VA, USA

• *sniff* well said friend....

i like playing freelancer for all the friends i've made....that and i absolutLY love being blown to bits...and spending cash....

• It was one of the First Games I ever played online and I was hooked.

I made so many friends and the game is AWESOME.

This Mod is Great and the Community is good too.

I do not see the same in any other game. :) :D

THE FASTEST ONE

• The loyalty to my clan, keeps making me play the game :)

Proud member of the Independent Operators' Consortium ever since day 1 in Crossfire. :herz:
    In-game characters: (IOC)Tyrael, (IOC)HimejiFortress

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” Sun Tzu

• there something in the game that makes me wonder of all thing i could do....
    but hey here i am still playing after like 4 year if im not mistaken....
    really wonder about one character ingame...
    herr von clausen....
    i think he's a host for good nomad i think....
    to disappear like that....
    the phrase he says
    "its hard to betray my world to save it"
    "im holding something.... im not gonna miss it for the world"
    watcha guys think???

• Indeed a touching post

i keep playing (and i will for a long time). Not only for the comunity (wich is very good and great roleplayers), is... the HUGE systems to explore.

I'm a explorer. i like to explore every inch of each system without read any guides. I can't get bored of watching the details (and this gets better when i'm on Crossfire systems)...

crossfire was the first server i was interested (i saw it on a Freelancers fan page). I donwloaded it about 2 years ago, and played it. and LOVE it.

so.... long history short, great game, great mod, great comunity, great sky.

Have a good day!
    -K

• i know that i haven't popped my MP cherry yet...but i've been playing FL for about two years now...

a friend of mine from another game mentioned that i might like some game called: "Freelancer"...so i googled it, and downloaded the "new york only" demo...

within 10 minutes of playing i was looking up the game on amazon and ordering it for the low low price of $15 US. (yeah...i know...the game was ancient even then)...

i continued playing the demo non-stop until the full version came, and i used that waiting time to try every available ship (not many in vanilla new york, but i HAD to try all of the ships...)

i also checked out the mod scene to see what, if anything, was available for this instantly addictive and intuitive game...

sure enough...i found plenty of mods...after checking a few readme files and downloading FLMM, i was trying out mods left and right...

of the "major conversion" mods i've played (Discovery and Crossfire 1.7)...Crossfire stands out...

sure...Discovery is great...but something just seemed to be lacking...CF added something i've wanted to see for some time...Earth. (i know that due to the storyline of the game, Earth was a stretch...but...the way that it was incorporated was perfect...)

i'm still having a blast suffering through SP, looting all the old vanilla wrecks that i've come to know and love, and exploring all of the new systems i come across...

the community here is (well...the vast majority...but every online game has a few bad apples) absurdly helpful and friendly...

i regularly check out the forum to find hints and advice whenever i'm stuck, or just looking for a new adventure...and i have to say that i respect and admire the viewpoint of: "i won't tell you specifically WHERE something is...but i'll give you a push in the right direction..."
    that much is refreshing...far too often a forum is littered with so many spoilers and walkthroughs that it takes away from the exploration aspect of the game...which brings it all back to the topic at hand...

...what keeps me playing....

the list is longer than the hike from the center of Hiruga to the Motherships in Hyperspace...and back...

i look forward to joining the MP community as soon as i get a reliable connection...until then...i'll keep exploring in my Bullpup MKIII, or swap back to the Osiris as needed....

ps: at first i hated the dynamic economy throwing monkey wrenches in all of my trade routes...but now i look forward to the updates...gives the game that extra dimension of reality...

at any rate...i'm rambling...i hope that doesn't mark me kos the second i'm able to log in... :P

see you all in space.
    happy freelancing.

• Beautiful post!

Originally posted by Zeroth
    at any rate...i'm rambling...i hope that doesn't mark me kos the second i'm able to log in... :P

No worries, as long as you're in New York, you're safe because players can't damage each other in NY. But as soon as you peek into California or Texas, you should start to watch your back :D

Originally posted by Zeroth
    see you all in space.
    happy freelancing.

Thanks, you too.

Originally posted by lucy in the sky
    Beautiful post!

Thank you. :)

Originally posted by lucy in the sky
    No worries, as long as you're in New York, you're safe because players can't damage each other in NY. But as soon as you peek into California or Texas, you should start to watch your back :D

i appreciate the advice/warning...
    being a complete MP noob, i've heard all of the stories about the differences between SP and MP pvp battles...and frankly...i look forward to sharpening my skills...i'm pretty good versus npcs, but i gladly welcome any and all pvp combat tips...
    i've read up on several techniques and descriptions of battles...not sure how much of it was factual...i've been engine-kill/thrust fighting practically since day one...and i've gotta say that the 340 speed of the bullpup mk3 with dual advanced hydroxen thrusters is a great way to gain the upperhand in the battles with npcs...hit hard, then zoom out of their range only to zoom back for another hail of hellfire. :)

bah. i've started rambling again.

i guess you folks will have to get used to that...
    or just take it out on me in a dual-purpose dogfighting lesson when you see me in space...
    :D

• Still a good question but also increasingly difficult to answer.
    I think it all boils down to the fact that i'm addicted. Or maybe because at the time being i can't tend to my other addictions...

• FreeLancer reminded me of Elite and Elite 2: Frontier. Then i discovered multiplay. Then came Crossfire, Then came the DC clan. All these things are what keep me coming back for more. Those things and the fact that im part of a larger community filled with ppl from around the world who share my interests :D

<-------ONCE AGAIN ARISING FROM THE ASHES. ONCE MORE TO KICKS THE CSF's ASS TO THE NEXT SECTOR.------>

http://i024.radikal.ru/0810/0b/985e1e888a76.jpg

<-----------------------------------------------DC Phoenix - General [866][865][866]---------------------------------------------->

[21] Intel Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz - Asus P5KC M/B - Ati Sapphire HD3870 512Mb GDDR4 Graphic Card - Ballstic 4x1Gb DDR2 1066Mhz RAM - 1 x 160GB + 1 x 250Gb SATA HDD - 2 x DVD-R/W Drive - Jeantech Orchid 575w PSU - iCute Custom Case - ACER P223w 22" Widescreen Monitor - Wireless Keyboard And Mouse - 5.1 Surround Sound Setup - Take Pride In Your System And Build It Yourself [21]

• *bump*

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!