what keeps you playing?

There are 31 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• I have only been playing games for about 5 yrs (thanks to Ahmar for introducing me to them). Freelancer was one of the first I bought. Since then I must have played most of the mods available in sp and spent 100's of hours in Sirius space. So what is it that keeps me playing? Even now, over 6 yrs after its release.
    For me it was its ease of play. No need to master many different controls. I liked the storyline. I enjoyed the freedom from the strict linear games I had played before. It was a revelation like reading Dune for the first time.
    I started to play online only a few months ago tried a few servers & settled on xfire. I found this was the first server where contact was made by others wishing to help, explaining rules & conventions. Teaching me the new controls to master (I really did not know how to chat & still mess up transfers. Haven't sorted console commands yet but I'm trying). Recently attended my first server events. What is it that keeps you playing?

When you empty the rubbish some of it comes out on top

• I always like your refreshing questions m8^^.

The basic drive for me to continue playing is to become better at PvP, trying to learn new ways of fighting, adapting and countering.

I also enjoy being part of this community. I spend alot of time in my cockpit chating with other players (I know I should fight more^^).

But what I enjoy most is seeing new players thrive on the server and the gratefulness of the people you help out.

• PvPing all the way. Blowing up people is my favourite to say the least :D. The thrill of the fight, the intense moments if somehow your enemy manages to get pass the shields and does significant damage, your way to count your enemy's moves. I just love fighting :D Especially 2v1 there it's a pure harmony for me. Although most of the time I leave my debris when that occurs.

Live another day

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

• Well, that would be the basic idea of Freelancer for me, searching through the unknown, while having complete freedom to do so. Also I liked the story and the characters a lot, I think it was really well written.

''Space. It seems to go on and on forever. Then you get to the end, and a monkey starts throwing barrels at you.'' - Phillip Fry, Futurama

• uuuummmmmm, the community and expanse of the mod.
    and i want to see what 1.8 has in store

(\__/)
    [85] [731]

• first was the story, the exploration and the experience of Multiplayer, then the PVP, comunity and the friends.

some of the frinedships we do here, really jump in to the real life, is not about a game anymore, I do meet some of my one or two members once in a while for a beer or a dinner.

eYf-Bb3kqDGZowNom6-Xa5yH0mydz8mBks6wgxw14TQ5NwEJBwfq4f1yRZFAlDX2qQ1-L2f4dN_jPCc4gHS39_4_KEcGf2rKKAIS9lt8znRUc0bbwU4HNGMbSmj-T1tQKW2T0FKHNMXYsHEHc4Qagn3xOVsBjwqOdFH4JyoGcTZdqMwXHFy76r9Fmny4UKT5zjWLQpDkuPo04jpg8sBGnCda4adtRxGHGbDw62IeEFT0WCu_go8lDBHh0WtGmPobfV87RVBaEqL3EGKAaPPRkjp-CR4J4phrjQzZQ2VUtg_-y5LTVcuqnCQugz3jfjP7xQqfvKNkjyMHKU9r4sV_D9IcYmVpYHXZ8ahWfGhesJkd0J8qCXtHRCwhnoMSF31z-piViN7S8MprdxmNA5irBMSB2cjAswp9SVe6wiATbaZEJG1bXg7_LbTVfiytOpYeKWjeQtra39Duhqgml8OV_4sQbY6hoi84NZ_mUayUfNOcCWuOlrLas3DPtvqq0cEfGOV-N6jSPssgvTCKTU4Y9OD8vIz14HCDKBAwi7NnvilwamcVEXqM3kH8YjIYyHtDaf7d8wY5caOUu4Y1AWfmJlZKMcVidj_K2RLYI_XQT8AQe3FnXn_-0fQfB2CPwbeJl_F7Nx-JLwk40KkWAON4x4TXBCq-rw9dmoLGDoS8ftamBKX9EZUxxbPSwuWzIU-ZviAWliUP_mLn8ILYZ-tt4SEnb5sUJkI0GWlLakmDHOwHtH3zAw8O0gt-wuCZCS5vGpuxt9tRDWS1_cIXvZML-ZRrZAHv0mig99hrUX4UMKGoM7FvaIiqnDDZPKMKJO8rA6jAx58nLCki-Xg8ci6ke5uspV7aCUQOmh6U3sZd5Z7acqvypYBAIo8lOMYpbCWRVqdyzaxTA_BdhKN_2OZ3aUK7qkATbEDHMxeu5d_NyqurxvYno5p-zBhnKVT6MNXRE2EpJq1cacTU9WuPNYWJSSF8kAw0_kS8QHURYgbHXpfRKENjBHUaV9h2jA=w348-h200-s-no?authuser=0

• The gameplay is natural, the universe expansive, challenging NPC's, choice of careers (maybe the most important!), and of course, the community. Relationships with like-minded people from around the world can enhance real life in unanticipated ways, and it is a place to make use of your creative energies, if you wish to do so, through joining the mod or admin teams. Not to mention, OP shares his genius for modding with us, as Crossfire leads the way in FL possibilities... :D

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

• ppl that bother me to continue

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• OP, you mad me laugh! Well done.

Honestly I play because I think we have a wickid community! Half I meet at the over end of my PPC but any could ask for me help and I will be there.

SO OP I LIKE OTHERS WILL BUG YOU FOR MORE!

It is worth it:)

• being part of something big is really worth a lot. and this community is one of the biggest or even the biggest (whispering) for FL.

FL is a great game even tho there are other nice looking games out - I enjoy FL - CF the most.
    Or just to simplify all:

Life would be hell of boring without it ;) its nearly the perfect break for RL...
    Beeing organised in a clan is also very nice as you see that there are others that enjoy to play with or against you - and also very important to help out ppl like...talk with them so also others may have a break from RL and RL concerns and problems^^

• Freelancer beeing the good game it is, always something to do, that keeps me going.
    I used to play it alot but it's my first on MP. And hey, someone's gotta enforce the law by bending it a "little" right? ;)

• The Sci Fi/Space exploration appeals to my instincs. FL is envolvment to the best value. "Space, the Final Frontier" And the people (players) who inhabit them.

To take a moment to reflect some past comments to me and by me else where.....I was asked to support a bid to Microsoft for FL 2......I thought and thought and then it came to me.......We already HAVE FL 2.

It is reflected in each and every mod of FL. But most especially in Major mods like CrossFire. The talent, the time, the sleepless night, the barrage of comments and requests that these talented indviduals (the modders) recieve is, I'm sure, at times, overwhelming.

And yet many continue to provide the FL communities with quality of play that exceeds the orginal FL game. For this I say THANK YOU.

p.p.s. IF we were to partition MS for anything, it should perhaps be any code for FL that they still retain. Perhaps with this, our Garus of modding could go even furhter. Enough siad, perhaps too much. Sorry.

ChiefRedCloud

Not "OLD" but "VINTAGE".......not "SLOW" but "CAUTIOUS"......

• To be frank if we have to explain the whole reason why we play FL we have to write a book 10 times bigger than the whole bible... + all the guides to Widnows :D. But all in all: Great game with a greater mod. Huge portion of the credit goes to OP :D\

Good job OP keep up the good work.

Live another day

(\__/)

• I'm not playing much longer unless event managers finally get console rights so i can bugger you all at once with all my witty crap, so i honestly dunno what i should answer.

Joking aside, for me it first was a way to get away from real life and now i'm hooked on RP and the folks on the server.

• I love space games, and I love flying games.. even more I love free roaming! FL is all of those.. I would have been playing it since it came out, but my comp back then sucked bad lol 64 ram :S

So I had to wait and luckily on my last Bday I was able to find myself FL again. :D Was so excited to play it and once I found CF after trying Discovery and another I don't remember right now.. I found my home! CF is my reason for playing FL still.. I would have to agree CF for me counts as FL2 to point.

What keeps me playing and will likely still keep me playing until I cannot afford internet will be the community of FL and mostly CF. All the different people and clans, the diff RPs and then looking forward to becoming good at PvP and also I always like helping people when I can, especially since I have been helped.

Anyway I have to agree Jack it would take a huge book lol so see you all in space, our 2nd and maybe some of ours 1st homes lol ;) I know I love it..

I am Death, Direction, Destruction, Defiance.... *static and then loss of signal*

Mainly known by Derenus, Derrail, I-am-D. My name in use is Derrail.

• FL was my first online game and still my favorite.

The structures that the mod builders have created, combined with the societies the players bring into life, is fantastic.

I love flying spaceships.

I have met some great people through this game.

What more can I say?

Chars : DC_Red_Katipo, DC_Red_Katipo*, DC_Red_Katipo**, DC_Red_Katipo^, DC_Red_Katipo^^

=====================================
    'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.'
    (Albert Einstein)

• i think in freelancr are pvps the best :D
    when nobody is online i don`t like to play
    i like in freelancer taxing :D
    Crossfire 1.7 is my forst Freelancer mod i am playing CF almost 2 years :D

Ship_Infocard Police Destroyer

• I have to agree with you Freelancer's CF's best aspect is PvP ;D besides the community :)

Live another day

(\__/)

• i played Freelancer since it got out too so it's my favourite game.the other reason is the CF community,i still have many friends here on CF

yep,i hate too playing when no1's online

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your