CF PROBLEMS

There are 30 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Ozymandius.

• [size=3]Several players, including myself and new server members have expierenced strange problems with CF. I have inclosed a basic copy of CFPD posts with some basic details.

The main concern has been the recent vanishing files after server disconnection.

I can provide more info if required! Just stuck to basic for now.[/size]

CF PROBLEMS

Greetings,

Some of you may be aware that I have expierenced problems with the game. A recent PM's have confirmed that others have had the same problem as me.

Problems are:

Server not comming up and screen was freezing.

Random Error 5 after game crash or disconnection and then unable to launch again.

Error: file 'C:\Program Files\EXE\freelancer.ini' Vanished, on one occasion the entire game vanished as well!

These problems have occured at least 2-3 times each since I have come back. I have re-installed and patched etc.

After the game vanished it took 6 installs to get it back and have the mod work.

The Error 5 and ini file probs always happen when I get a disconnection from game server.

I have the game working again but am running 1.7e. I have not had any probs since but this is not even a Vista machine.

I am very concerned that my client files are vanishing this way and Fixer is rather concerned too.

Any thoughts?

06-09-2008 05:43 PM
    Kermit
    CO

I have another one:

After a Game restart! - Your Systems do not have a 3D Grafics Card restart the Computer.

After a Computer restart all is well.

Atm. CF is more than sensible. I realy hope Fixer get his Problems cleared.

edit: Did you post it to OP Ozy? He need to know it!

Ozy
    Major WC

I was waiting for feedback before taking the next step.

Gunny
    CiC

RE: CF PROBLEMS

The only issues I have are during the loading, when my screen will turn into a molten pool of white for a few seconds.

• Hm some really odd errors.
    Only thing i can imagine what can cause the vanishing of files is the fact that if you launch CF a copy of the exe folder is made. Due to unknown reasons if the game crashes there seems to be a problem with the copy and the origin file.

BTW you can use filemon for checking where the vanished files are and what happened. But keep in mind it will lower the game performance as this tool determines every file access... and there are a lot of files accessed while playing. Its hard to believe that the whole game vanished. thats more than odd. how should more than 700MB vanish from your PC - m8 have a closer look to it.

I also would have a look to the event log of Microsoft and look what errors occur after or shortly before the crash. Than Google for the information you can get out of this list. Sometimes it helps.
    Problem with installing the mod and getting it activated is based on some improper settings (remove read-only flag, access rights).

Please add some more information about the vanishing - whats the matter of the game crash - server or client caused? And is the result in both cases the same?

Furthermore that the graphic driver does not start after game crash is also odd ;) Have you tried to restart only the explorer (without relaunching microsoft). At what mode windows is running - security mode? or is only the color depth reduced? if the graphics are not well after a crash it could be that the driver is not running - maybe the service for loading the driver is crashed as well. but here still the system event log of windows would log it. A closer look to this could maybe help.

I have also seen G problem on another PC. Try to find the crossfire.ini delete it or just remove the new effects (blur aso.) After i did this the prob was gone. Also a conflict in the graphic engine can cause this too.

I also would recommend to delete the d3d8.dll or - once was downloaded from the server for the new effects... maybe it must be unregistered in the windows registry... but that is also an assumption... normally this dll is also delivered with directx - and having two versions is not good at all ;)

The only issues I have are during the loading, when my screen will turn into a molten pool of white for a few seconds.

I second that observation, which is merely a temporary effect of the dynamic lighting on my old video card. The screen settles in after the CF screen, and I can turn off the lighting effects, and no more issues.

I have the game working again but am running 1.7e.

1.7e has not been needed for several months now...I recommend you remove it! ;) As for the other issues, I have never seen these myself, but I have observed that CF performance can noticeably improve if you defrag your system (if it hasn't been done in a while).

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

Originally posted by Centaurian
    1.7e has not been needed for several months now...I recommend you remove it!

Yeah E patch was needed just a brief moment because of the update server being down. also, it was bugged. where the hell did you even get it? it's not in SWAT downloads AFAIK...

I'd say the E patch is guilty, cos it's bugged and heavily outdated. There have been many updates after it. Most probably the new updates are conflicting w/ the E patch files or something...

[size=1]oh and **moved**[/size]

<table border="0" align="center" width="75%" height="40px" cellspacing="0"><tr>
    <td align="left" background="http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9442/swatwj7.png" width="2px"></td>
    <td valign="top" align="center" width="100%" background="http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/401/swatya1.gif"><font face="serif" color="white" size="5">&#191;&#647;&#592;&#653;&#387;&#592;&#623; - magwat?</font></td>
    <td align="right" background="http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6025/swatright.png" width="2px"></td>
    </tr></table>
    <!--<hr width="85%" />

Fix'd.

-->

• I appreciate your feed back guys.

I have also passed on some details which may help others,esp gfx probs. You mistake the above post a bit thou. I was reporting facts. Yes files vanished includding my entire game on 2 occasions. I am not the only one. Yes the 1.7e patch has fixed all of the problems I have had. My game is perfect now and so are friends who had similar probs.

Huor I can understand the duplicate files perhaps causing probs as you mentioned above. I am prepared to discuss further and with detail. These probs have happened with clean installs as well. They have been repeated problems and untill my last 6 installs in one sitting as mentioned above have not been fixed.

There is also another factor that I have confirmed 2 of us have expierenced but untill I have more details I will not raise.

• 1.7e does not have update services. i find it strange that u r able to enter the server with it! and if u do, u might eventually crash the server due to improper file synchronization between client and server...

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• ditto @ haegar

<table border="0" align="center" width="75%" height="40px" cellspacing="0"><tr>
    <td align="left" background="http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9442/swatwj7.png" width="2px"></td>
    <td valign="top" align="center" width="100%" background="http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/401/swatya1.gif"><font face="serif" color="white" size="5">&#191;&#647;&#592;&#653;&#387;&#592;&#623; - magwat?</font></td>
    <td align="right" background="http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6025/swatright.png" width="2px"></td>
    </tr></table>
    <!--<hr width="85%" />

Fix'd.

-->

• This is one of the reason I am posting all this. I seem to be updating files through the launcher ok as well. Also this is the most stable the game has been for me. I have had non of the aforementioned problems.

I didnt state above but on my last install I used 1.7a followed by extracting the 1.7 e files direct to directory. Previously, I tried a clean 1.7 several times and also 1.7a several times in these instances I had the same problems come back.

So I am baffled as to why the CF is working for me now? Why I am not getting any problems and more importantly why I had the problems in the first place.

• I see it as a serious problem.

All what has been posted is clarified already - we do not have problems with it anymore (well not with the most).

The issue is that people who are just starting CF fresh and new will occure similiar problems. If they don´t find the way to this forum they will probably not play CF - bad for us.

So - if you find serious Problems it´s needed to make them open imO. Otherwise if that would not been cleaned within the next update or version it would stay as a problem.

It is so easy and has nothing to do with food mate.

Click the image above to visit us.

• indeed this has nothing to do with yoghurt ;) ---> and it was only a joke...

what i still find amazing is the statement by Ozzy that the whole game vanished - the whole game is about 1,32 GB big - well and for me its some kind of wonder how this amount of data can vanish. At least the hard disk should be very busy to vanish this data... and this should take some seconds to finish. So if this is really true than I am sure it has nothing to do with the game itself - it could more be that the client (Ozys PC) is misconfigured. And indeed its serious...
    So what else I can do as posting a link to a tool from M$ to check what happens when files vanish.

And as far the most players dont run into problems (at least not into the above mentioned) I dont see the failure in the mod or provided download.

The problems with the graphics seems to be weird ofc - but at least i would firstly try to check my own configuration, driver (firm- and software), running windows environment (patches for dual core, AMD, Intel...)... What is the ouput from the windows event log (start -> control center -> system management -> event log [or similar, i am running german operating system and the meaning could be similar])?

• Well, I'm using Windows XP professional, and I never had to reinstall the game fo errors, except the errors I did sometimes... with other things, and I have a poor 3D card, and my PC has almost same years that the original game, and FL CrossFire is one of the games that better works here, ye I will have a new PC in next month or so, but the thing I know is that the game with normal and clear 1.7 is working without problems with a very poor PC equipment...

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Ok,

This problem is still going on and it seems nobody gives a toss. Michael again has been unable bring up the server!

I still have friends with the same prob who have now given up! Oh and BTW I am still running 1.7e without a glitch since I followed prcedure stated above.

Haeger, I would really appreciate your input as a man in the know. I have spoken to a few people now that have this prob.

If you want all the details ill provide em again and also get Fixer to provide his input.

Oh and BTW I am still running 1.7e without a glitch since I followed prcedure stated above

Seriously, get rid of 1.7E, and follow the CF Guide instructions to the letter! That works perfectly, even if it does not seem on its face to be correct... :)

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

• Seriously, It is only working now with 1.7e...please read what I have written!

No more contempt please, you think I don not install before in the correct manner?

Originally posted by Ozymandius
    I am a ISEB certified software tester if you need anything checked. I can also run Loadrunner to check for bottlenecks and deal with whitebox testing if needed.

I hope that would help the workload?

Hello Ozy m8,

pls dont put pressure on the mod creator... You said you are a software tester - why you are not able to provide more detailed information on the mentioned problems?

What especially is the problem of whom. Above are described several problems.
    I stated already that you can check the windows event log or use filemon or progxp or progmon to determine where the vanished files are and what causes this effect. I still see no response from you.

Or do you have connection problems to the server?

Do you use your own PC? Installation instructions are followed? No further parts are installed (FL SDK, Other FL Tools... etc)

I for myself think its still your PC that is not configured well. Maybe there are running progs that may cause this. But at all you need to provide data and check it for yourself. Same what you would like to do as tester ;)

Originally posted by Ozymandius
    Haeger, I would really appreciate your input as a man in the know. I have spoken to a few people now that have this prob.

i really would have posted more, if only i would have ANY idea what is going on on ur machines - sorry...

there is no code included into the Launcher that i could think of being able to delete any bit of the CF installation.

is there any software installed that checks for virus at runtime? some of these tools do delete some files, if they think they r suspicious (but i doubt this would explain deleting a whole directory).

worst think for me is that i am not able to see where that could come from, but also it is not happening and never did happen on my machine...

u might want to list details about ur machine and the software u have installed?

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• the 1.7e patch was only a temp solution and was taken out of order due to important changes that were done
    the normal CF1.7 and/or the CF1.7a patch should be working (and almost every CF player does use them without any problems)

I cant really say what problems you experience since the information is very limited

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!