Crossfire 1.9 Windows 7 64 bit Workaround

There are 22 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by BlackWing.

• Solution 1
    Install freelancer under Program Files/Microsoft games instead of Program Files (x86)/Microsoft games.
    Now install flm1.3 under Program Files not Program Files(x86).
    Now reboot into safe mode and run the crossfire 1.9 setup file then run flm 1.3 and activate.;)
    Solution 2
    Tools required
    FLM 1.3 of course.;)
    uniextract.
    And Crossfire 1.9

Now to apply the workaround install all of the above bar the crossfire 1.9 as it will allocate shed loads of ram but not do a damn thing so a forced restart will be necessary if you do this.:(
    Once you have uniextract installed right click the exe file and choose extract to sub dir, you may have to click run and when you get the cmd window pop up just type in a and enter.;)
    Now for the fiddly bits.
    Open the Crossfire 1.9 folder you should now of acquired, open the mods folder and copy the crossfire 1.9 folder into the mods folder under the flm1.3 directory now go back up to the root folder of the extracted Crossfire 1.9 folder and open the following directory $_OUTDIR this is vital for this workaround to be successful.;)
    Now go back up to the root folder of the extracted Crossfire 1.9 folder and open $[32] directory and install the crossfire font.
    Now copy all the files you see here into the Crossfire 1.9 folder under the mods directory under the flm1.3 directory.
    Now simply open flm1.3 and activate.;)

Current System
    Tagan BZ Series 800 Watt Power Supply Unit,
    AsRock P55 Pro/USB3 Motherboard,
    Antec full ATX tower case,
    Tranquillo CPU Cooler,
    Intel Core i3 530@4.00Ghz.:D
    8GB of DDR3,
    SATA Samsung HD753LJ 750GB Hard drive,
    SATA Samsung HD501LJ 500GB Hard drive,
    XFX ATI Radeon 5870 with Arctic Cooler GPU cooler.

Edited 3 times, last by BlackWing: Update ().

• It doesn't run under windows 7 64 bit the installer for crossfire 1.9 but, I have another workaround which is some what easier updating now.
    I suspect that this is an issue with permissions for running 32 exe files under windows 7 64 bit but meh I have fixed it now but if you guys need me to check error logs fair enough.

Current System
    Tranquillo CPU Cooler,
    8GB of DDR3,

• it was developed under win7 64bit

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• on win7 64bit in good condition with admin rights and when sure that fl installed files are not copy protected -> no problems :)

(myself have win7 64bit and all works normal)

• Well it can't be a coincidence that not only myself has had issues installing it, I mean have you seen this area recently.
    I have full permissions and even ran the installer with admin rights but nope damn thing just stalled and looped allocating nearly all my ram doing jack when I installed both freelancer and freelancer mod manager to Program Files (X86) and even in Program Files and, I did download this setup file last year I think so unless you guys have updated it.
    I fail to see why not only myself had issues installing it but never mind if people have issues with this again, I have the workarounds available also I heard from another user on crossfire 1.9 in multiplayer he was surprised I managed to install it.
    So this is definitely more then a permissions fault seeing as I have full rights and, I am admin on my own system.
    No UAC enabled nothing nada, fresh install of windows 7 64 bit recently, my bet is its a security issue now I might believe its my firewall but that has never been a problem.
    Unless its that damn trusted installer issue I have come along in the past with some other programs.
    I also updated and patched freelancer as usual before installed flm1.3 or attempting to install crossfire 1.9 normally.
    So instead of just dismissing this why don't you, I don't know maybe look into it if you would be so kind because.
    I am not the only one who had this issue.
    Also I never had this issue on Windows 7 32 bit not once and to clarify for admin its the setup file that doesn't work under windows 7 64 bit not the mod itself.

Current System
    Tranquillo CPU Cooler,
    8GB of DDR3,

• ... I also updated and patched freelancer as usual before installed flm1.3 or attempting to install crossfire 1.9 normally.

might I ask what patch you use? (what I know FL not need any patch/update for installing CF)

... and if your solution works, then nice. Different PCs, different users so have "backup" solution is not bad if works ;) . Our reaction was only for statement that CF install do not work under win7 64bit which is not correct.

• Ahem technically my statement was based off my experience and not the average of the freelancer community, your statement is most likely comprised of your own experience installing it under 64 bit and the average freelancer community who participate in the crossfire mod.
    The updates were just the Microsoft official update, workaround patch and the no cd patch and I have done this all before in windows 7 32 bit and then install flm 1.3 and then ran the crossfire 1.9 setup file. Run flm1.3 activate and of we go.:)
    And I swear when I run the installer normally under 64 bit it allocates nearly 4gb of ram total hovering around the 3.6gb mark and nothing shows up compared to when, I used my workaround its just just over 1gb of my ram and runs like a charm using the first solution posted.
    The second solution was in case someone was unable to follow or fix there problem by using the first solution.

Current System
    Tranquillo CPU Cooler,
    8GB of DDR3,

• just for the record
    doing any patches, no matter where they come from prior and after the activation of Crossfire is a damn bad idea
    putting aside that Crosfire contains all necessary patches by default the mod would just overwrite these patches

that of course if the previously done patches have not enabled file protections (which very likely the problem)

I personally have to activate the mod up to 10 times a week while doing modding work and not a single time there was an error on win7 64bit

Next to that we are not just talking about a few players... the latest version of the mod was downloaded more than 60.000 times in just a half year (more than any other FL mod actually). The amount of problems with activation errors is relative low and mostly due to the above stated reason.

There is technically no reason why the activation of the mod would cause more troubles on win7 64 than on any other OS.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• normally win is able to detect whether its a 32bit or a 64bit process and executes it in the correct shell. If you do not force to run a 32bit process in a 64 bit shell what might be possible. Nevertheless it shouldnt make any problems - if the process can handle 64 bit too. The other way round - executing a 64 bit process in a 32 bit shell is not possible, at least it might do more harm to your pc.

I just want to say it really doesnt matter how you install CF. As long as you do it the proposed way it shall work. CF acquires that amount of memory because its just a big mod. And the extraction of the mod into the mod folder of FLMM by the setup just needs this space. Sure sure. So doing the stuff with uniextract is surely another way - but you have to do everything on your own then :)

signature.png

• Ive never had a prob running cf with 64bit ,system uses about 1.2 gb ram of the 4gb installed ,when i run cf it uses 1.7gb .I always follow the correct installation method and hasnt failed yet.
    I never install games into program files and that may be where you have the problem ,make a new folder called games put fl in that and make a folder in games called mods and put flmm in that .Install Fl then FLMM then active cf thru flmm

Edited once, last by Wavey: pah ().

• The no cd is a patch which is not protected and neither is the workaround patch for the servers and I have updated many games before and ran a mod.
    No problem also I don't just run crossfire, I use discovery as well so I need the necessary update and patches and besides fl manager makes backups in .bak format.
    Granted if I really wanted both I would have to manually copy the original files over, patch etc etc then create a new registry record differentiating the different installs and it can be done if you know how.:)

Current System
    Tranquillo CPU Cooler,
    8GB of DDR3,

• If youre going to run CF dont add patches ever ,I have 2 fl installs one for disco one for CF as disco doesnt need flmm its easy .
    for example to make a new fl install rename your old one to freelancerold then install the new fl to freelancer1 that gives u a clean install of fl to use for cf ! then remove the old suffix and u have 2 diff copiues of fl that are fine without touching registry.they both add diff desktop shortcuts so all u need to do is click the one u wish to play
    disco (may need no cd patch )and CF do not need any of those patches you keep using they both use clean installs of fl and add everything that is required to run

Edited once, last by Wavey: meh ().

• lol a bit harder I just followed my first solution I posted and it worked and the only other time, I had to do anything manual was maemo flasher for my n900.
    Manually installing the files because Windows was being a nuisance about the installer but surprise surprise after doing everything manually it worked no problems.
    I have no problem doing things for myself and I have ran into these similar problems where really the installer wasn't meant for the OS but oh well, if I have to strip it down and install it manually.
    I don't give two stuffs, you're speaking to guy who has compiled an entire Linux kernel just to fix support problems and compiled my own slackware OS so that it would work and install it by hand from terminal.
    Yes things are easier now but, I know for a fact that I can install freelancer like I usually do and crossfire 1.9 over and over again in Windows 32 bit and have no problems what so ever.
    And seeing as I have been playing online for the past hours on freelancer in crossfire 1.9, it works just fine. So stop picking accept that in this case your installer didn't work as intended and no way should that installer allocate nearly four gb's for god sake.
    When I ran it in safe mode it used just over a gb and fyi it installed quicker in safe mode then when, I installed it in windows 7 32 bit.
    And I already know all about this keeping clean installs hence when I deactivate mods, I always wipe the freelancer installation clean and reinstall it from fresh.
    Also if I don't patch the game with a no cd path it doesn't run with crossfire 1.9, it didn't do either in windows 7 32 bit.

Current System
    Tranquillo CPU Cooler,
    8GB of DDR3,

• If it uses 4gb of ram or not - isnt that important imho. Usually if this space is available then well let it use it. I mean its a computer or in this case RAM. Storage that was made for storing information in it :)

Normally i just install a mod once and then keep it in an separate directory. That saves me a lot of time switching mods.
    Besides that i never had any problems with installing, activating CF by its installer. I dont have 4gb ram available - well then i wait until everything is swapped back and forth^^

signature.png

• Never mind its all sorted out now that is the main thing.:)
    And I wasn't being arrogant lol it just another away of saying not bothered where I come from oh dear.><
    And I do not want to draw any more attention away from other support threads. ^^

Current System
    Tranquillo CPU Cooler,
    8GB of DDR3,

• and i say it again
    DONT USE ANY PATCHES

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• >>So this is definitely more then a permissions fault seeing as I have full rights and, I am admin on my own system

Even is you are the administrator and have admin rights, the build in User Security Model in Win Vista and Win 7 stops you from doing a installation if you don't run the install files 'As Administrator'.

That is a special elevation that allows the installer program to temporarily bypass the security restrictions in the 'Program Files' or the 'Program Files (86)' directories and allows files to be installed that would normally be blocked. This is so that programs that are malicious cannot install themself i nthose directories, but need user interaction to get the elevation permissions.

The only other way to install without caring what elevation rights you have on the system is to install into the root folder of your C drive ie c:\freelancer or onto another drive like D or E .

Freelancer Crossfire only needs:
    1 - Original Freelancer Install from the CD
    2 - FMM1.3 Installed
    3 - Freelancer Mod extracted and installed.

4 - PLAY PLAY PLAY

Kind Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 8.1 X64, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz, 16GB 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GXT 460