Concept: Mutiple server mod

There are 25 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Daywalker.

• Not to start a storm, but players should only be allowed 5 chars, period!!

This will help with the server load. I say pick your chars you want and we wipe the rest.

As for players running WMP, that is just wrong. Lagging the server is just plain wrong.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

Originally posted by Centaurian

If CF players are limited to only 5 characters TOTAL, this alone might improve the lag caused by server load. This would require more teamwork than ever, if clans want to have multiple ship classes in their inventory (for a variety of RP options).
    I chatted with a CF player last night who said he has 20 characters across 4 separate ID's! 8o This seems excessive to me. This same player also demonstrated the visible increase in NPC lag from only 1 player running Windows Media Player in the background; when he shut the application down, NPC lag vanished. And this was when only 4 players were online at the time! My wish list would include some sort of lag generator detector, so the system would automatically kick players who are the source of this type of lag [3]

The one question I would have about the dual-server mode described at the top of the thread is: if I were logged into server B, would I be able to see if one of my mates were online @ server A? Splitting the action between two servers makes sense from a load standpoint, but it also could hamper coordinated actions across systems, like clan RP, for instance. If players cannot see who is on the other server, or communicate directly with them, it seems as though it would also have the effect of dividing the community to some extent... ?(

I think that a player has a choice of how many characters he wants to have. The person who has Multiple ID's does not play all 20 at once or as in your case all 4 at once.

Very rarely sometimes the lag suddenly comes for unknown reasons and goes away in a matter of few seconds. The Lag Detection System would kick out the player immediately and he may be in DK Space. The result is the minute you relogin you will be destroyed.

The person running Windows Media Player in the background must be really dumb. The same guy who has money to buy 20 Ships cannot be that dumb without a reason. The Ships in Crossfire are not cheap. He must have spent a lot of time to make up that money. I think you should know that there is no excuse for dumbness in this world. No matter of Software or Hardware will ever take away dumb acts of people. I think I know this person whom you are talking about. There are not many people who have 20 characters. I think both those people are very smart and are my friends. I think it just slipped their mind to switch offf Media Player. :)

The problem that you have put up of communication is right. I think this basically will make everyone a good fighter as there is a possibility that your whole clan may be playing on the other server while you are all alone on the other server and under attack. It is upto your own skills and brains to decide what to do. The Problem is that if you are in Altair, you not only have the problem of some human players shooting at you but also DK tearing your hull apart :P

I think you are actually wrong. The Community will not be divided. It will actually become stronger as the people who attacked you will be have to be on the Hit - List and your clan mates & friends will have to take care of them. This situation will be ideal for Mercenaries and the payouts will be much higher as the player can be anywhere on any server :P

THE FASTEST ONE

Originally posted by Gunny
    Not to start a storm, but players should only be allowed 5 chars, period!!

This will help with the server load. I say pick your chars you want and we wipe the rest.

As for players running WMP, that is just wrong. Lagging the server is just plain wrong.

This strategy will only punish the Honest Players while the others will get away. I remember OP saying that if characters are not used for 90 days then they are moved to storage. I think many characters will fade like that.

This will not work on people having multiple computers. I am planning to make more characters so that I can now have a few on each server. 5 Characters in total will be no more fun as people will devise ways to have more and only honest and nice people will be punished.

THE FASTEST ONE

• 5 chars is the max - everything else will lead to conflicts between the servers

the loss of communication is not a bad thing... i doubt that communication is possible on such high distances (between sectors) is possible anyways

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• supercars

good words, i nearly agree to your point of view, and I wanted to say exactly this!

Click the image above to visit us.