Discord Lobby channel

There are 8 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• The SWAT Portal #lobby discord channel has been deleted by me.

As written today on the channel I see myself forced to pull the plug.

I have no issue when a channel like that is used to post fun stuff, memes or general discussions.

But the same rules that apply to the SWAT Portal also apply to these Discord channels.

The fact that from time to time political topics found their way there were not even that big of an issue. My tolerance stops when crude conspiracy theories are posted, wild claims and stuff that defies any logic.

I wasted my time trying to debunk some of that stuff today, explained political decisions based on actually facts (that anyone could fact check if there is such a desire) and even tried to counter false claims about economy (which truly is an area where I have deep knowledge in)... just to be completely dismissed and faced by the next conspiracy theories and false narrative claims appearing in a 2mins interval.

I absolutely wasted my time there trying to bring the discussion back on a professional level... away from opinions back to a level where facts matter.

My tries to responsibly providing information based on facts (facts that can be looked up at anytime) and guide that conversation into a more professional direction were instantly dismissed and replaced by the next wild claims that have nothing to do with reality.

But I guess we meanwhile live in a time where opinions matter more than facts.

Everyone is free to believe what ever fairytale he/she wants to believe in but I am not providing a platform for people to spread false narratives.

I could say that I am disappointed... no, not about colliding opinions but about that tries to counter opinions with facts is instantly being dismissed. But that again would be a waste of time.

I pulled the plug, the channel is gone. I am pretty much willing to do the same with the other channels if I am forced to.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Wouldn't be more effective to ban offending user? On another discord server I blocked one of users with above mentioned mindset bcs I do not have there admin rights ... with them I would kick him out. Or temporary at least ... I learned firsthand that trying to discussing opposite opinions with some people is simply not working. Easiest way (effective to self pressure and adrenaline level :) ) is say that such stuff do not belongs here.

Imo there should be always respect to admin, be that in game or discord or forums. If it is missing, then showing to non-cooperating person an exit-doors is in my book right action. Pinning post about rules is just a bonus. In relation to discord usage I prefer to have one "off-topic" or universal channel when is another one used for chat about concrete game ... it helps avoid spam or off-topic moments which from time to time happens even in the best organised discord servers.

Btw, it is just my opinion or something to think about as alternative. I think that this portal discord server showed his usefulness.

• It was not my intention to remove people from the entire server or to punish people.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• It was not my intention to remove people from the entire server or to punish people.

OK. I wasn't there so I can only guessing. I've posted my opinion because I liked discord server channels setup from practical viewpoint.

• Facts are only facts, if one is in the same universe. For flat-earthers it is a fact that the earth is flat - for the others just the other. Just with the economic or political topics, it is not so simple to speak of the “facts”. If there are different teachings/theories to an economy, then the facts of the one theory are not necessarily also the facts of the other theory.

Mankind should have learned this already from the history of the whole religious wars.

The nice thing about this is actually when you can still peacefully agree on the different views. In the ideal, one must simply accept it that there can be different facts. If you don't come together, then it's just a realization, and you leave the subject and move on to the next one. Convincing someone else that my view of things is the ultimate right one is just wrong and also only leads to conflicts.

If you are bothered by someone else's thoughts, then maybe you should rather ignore it and deal with other issues. Sometimes you just can not agree on something the same. To close an entire thread (on discord) because of it is possibly a bit of overreaction – action in affect :)
    Just my 2 cents...

signature.png

• sounds wrong to me

facts are based on proofs... everything else are just an opinions

Everyone is free to have own opinions but not free to have own facts. And if people would stick more to the facts, most of the problems we face today would not even exist or eventually could be dealt with.

There is no flat earth fact. Nobody ever fell off the rim of the world and reported about it.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Flat_Earth.jpg

.. sorry folks, I was unable resist when it comes to funny facts ;)

• ... Because they fell of the rim and have never been seen again 😂🤣

yes, but such stupidity is their problem.... not mine

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,