Launcher wants to update 80 Files on every startup

There are 11 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by wombat1940.

• Hi folks,

I just installed a clean Freelancer + FLMM1.3 + Crossfire2.0 and the Launcher wants to update 80 Files on every startup.
    I did set the Freelancer folder and its files to not-writeonly.
    Working on Win10, any idea?

• I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that after the first time that updating is in aid of the dynamic market for commodities. Thus you can decline the update if you don't care about having commodity prices/markets updated.

I'm not 100% sure I've got that right; there's an explanation around here somewhere.

Personally, I let it update every time, since it only takes a few moments.

• launcher is updating a lot of things including any work thats been done since the last update by op so let the launcher do its thing. theres a reason for it.

I doubt it is intended to update 80 files every 2 minutes when I start the launcher.

• yes standad of late is an update of 73 give ir take can be more if something new has been added

and yes

it happens every time the launcher restarts

obligatory in MP it is required for the dinamic economy among other things

you can say no if you are playing SP, the launcher gices you that choice in a pop up window - you click no and you dont have to deal with a changing market - but it is better to allow the updates to happen

it does not take long and it keeps the FL file system up to date and working properly.

good flying :) :)

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• Interesting. I'm an SP player only and thought the updates were targeting MP players only. I never update, but I will start at my next launch. Thanks. :thumbsup:

• Helpful

The launcher does indeed update the commodities, but it's main purpose is to check whether or not any files have been modified because if you're playing in the server and you have modified files, you'll be basically a cheater and the system cannot allow for that, so it'll automatically kick you or ban you.

If you're playing in the SP, you can freely skip the update if you wish.

• Well, how else does the Cheat Protection scan if you have modified your files? ;)

And no... I don't say that from "experience", it's just logical that you'll put this kind of protection as it's with most game launchers these days.

• ~2000 files are checked for modifications on every start of the launcher

~40 files are constantly checked by the launcher even if you are in the game

~80 files are set to always update as they are being synchronized with the server version on every start

~250 files are constantly checked while you are logged into the server by the server software

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Hadn't thought about tweeking the files for MP. 8| As my game in SP is tweeked to be friends with all (aliens include), I'd get booted straight away! Ha!

you should not get kicked Wombat

the Difficulty Scale in SP can be set to God Mode - technicaly a cheat

but

when you goto multiplayer the mod is loaded differently and does not use the setting.

depending on how your mod has been tweaked if OP or Michael organised it, it should only affect and be in use only when you are in SP mode.

good flying :) :)

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• Thanks Ringotwin. I forget who tweeked it for me, but its far better than "God mode" where I was always, irritatingly, getting fired upon. Besides my role has been different here. For full exploration and mapping, it was/is that I take a neutral stance to all others.