Crossfire 2.0 randomly closing, no error messages

There are 36 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by L3gi.

• ill do some tests there

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Ive a theory about it and meanwhile a set of new scripts I need to test.

IF working there will be a pretty large patch rolling out this weekend.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Problem:

On my very first test with the current version of CF (without any changes) the game crashed while docking at the battleship... just as described.

The next 30-40 tries (without changing anything) I couldnt get it to crash it at all.

That makes it pretty hard to find out whats wrong.... and even harder to verify if my solutions are actually working.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• isn't there chance that it happen bcs game do not have loaded certain textures for a 1st time? ... its just blind shot

• Hmm, thats interesting.

As i had a tradeline between new london and battleship suffolk with my swashbuckler i went between boith of them quite often and i had like 1 out of 3 landings ending in a crash with like 15 tries.

Also ive always used the newest autosafe when it crashed and just kept flying back n forth.

After a while i just said "fuck it" and bught the trident trying to go for missions again. And that ship also crashed at suffolk as well as when i moved into other systems.

• isn't there chance that it happen bcs game do not have loaded certain textures for a 1st time? ... its just blind shot

potentially yes... but I did multiple restarts clearing memory etc. so it should have occoured more than just once.

Today I did another ~20 tries without a single crash. I am not sure how I am supposed to test whats wrong or if the changes I do are even working.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Hallo, ich bin ein Greenhorn auf dieser Seite.

Bei CF und nur mit Nebenmission, kann ich den Absturz auf den Desktop bestätigen.

Meine Analyse:

Das Ereignis geschieht bei mir nur bei bestimmten Basen:

In Basen im System Bretonia, bei dem dieser "hockende Bock" das Sagen hat, z.B. in New London.

Zuerst dachte ich, es gehört zum Spiel.

Das Schiff fliegt in die Base, die Infozeile erscheint und dann der entscheidende Augenblick:

Landung oder Absturz.

Bei der Fehlersuche habe ich festgestellt, dass immer die thorn.dll (Exe-Verzeichnis), in Verbindung mit der Freelancer.exe,

ein Timeout verursacht.

Ähnlich wie bei einem Kernel-Abruf, der länger als 5-6 Sekunden dauert. Hier erfolgt das abschalten des Treibers durch das System.

Das Spiel stürzt dann auch auf den Desktop, oder es gibt einen Blackscreen mit laufenden Audio.

Das war mein kleiner Beitrag zur Fehlersuche.

Singelplayer, Vanilla

Gruß

Edited once, last by Freibeuter ().

• ja, das ist irgendetwas mit den lande animationen

aber ich brauch eine möglichkeit das verlässlich zu reproduzieren um den fehler zu finden

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Ive spent another 3 hours testing and had not a single crash.

I guess it is best to change the strategy behind the tests. Thursday I will provide a very dirty patch to battleship suffolk specifically that removes specific elements from the animation that might cause issues.

It most certainly will cause side effects but if it stops the crashes for you guys (we will need to test it over a longer period of time) then I can try to add in missing code bit by bit until the crashes start again. This way we might be able to isolate the problem.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• ok, ive just uploaded that patch for battleship suffolk.

It is very basic and we need to test it in the next few days/weeks.

Feedback is welcome and required to finally figure out whats wrong.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• StatiZkyZ hi, how you fix this problem? i got the same problem in the middle of the game, it suddenly got to windowed, screen turn black, than close itself.
    i Tried running the game in windows mode, it show only black screeen , can only run the game in full screen

• Made an account just to respond to this topic. Happening to me as well - It mainly happens when docking to Kensington Shipping Platform in New London. Can happen by pressing Esc either during docking, or during the opening animation when you're finally inside. High probability of it happening, like 50/50 or more. Screen suddenly goes windowed, turns black with ambient sound still playing and takes seventeen seconds or more to finally close. Using the default shader.

All in all a pretty annoying bug.

Edited 2 times, last by SerJunko ().

• Happens to me too. Not just when I'm docking or undocking. I've been in the middle of a fire fight when it crashes on me. I get a CODE0 or CODE1. And I have made sure that Directx is enabled, and I have added my graphics card by following the guide on the "Advise and Tips" page.

• A minor update. But it turns out it isn't exclusive to the esc key. I avoided pressing it as i docked and it still managed to crash my game upon landing.

06:59:05.277 --> [i]:Crossfire is running

07:06:10.453 --> [x]:Crossfire Exit - CODE1

07:06:11.275 --> [i]:Crossfire was closed

Edited once, last by SerJunko ().

• id need feedback on the suffolk patch i did

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• id need feedback on the suffolk patch i did

As i have just re-entered freelancer (and crossfire mod) after some long abstinence and with my new safe i am at the very same spot/area.

Id like to pick the topic up and give more insights.

I think the issue is still there.. i tend to always do a one-dock-all run through all systems when im in the area.

I just CTD for the 7th time in an hour (yet not on suffolk this time).

It happend on nearly every dock on a first time vision on a station in the bretonia area.

I think your first guess of it being something that happens with sprites loading forst time, could be right. Maybe its something that get loaded the first time when you enter a new station/planet ... ? maybe somehting that is specific to the area?

Unfortunately no more hints i could give you, but it seems to be the very same old bug from back then.