Broken Chars

There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• Since the incident last week Ive been trying to find the reason why some of the chars refuse to work correctly.
    The problem originally was described in this thread: Well....

Its meanwhile the 5th day that I am checking chars for possible errors and so far Ive found nothing.
    The problem is that char files do not contain any code that can be verified easily. Each char has thousands of lines of hash codes which eventually fit to an item, ship, location or anything else in the game.
    With other words you would need to manually check thousands of hash codes manually with their counterparts in the game and you also would need to check if "Ship A" is allowed to carry "Item B" on "Hardpoint C".... etc.
    Char files usually have an average size of 100-150kb. It needs just one byte to be wrong to damage the entire char. To find that single byte is nearly impossible.
    I could spend 1-2 weeks to check and fix just one char (if at all).

So far I have identified 62 bugged char files (that number might increase).
    I guess you can do the math without my help.

Fixing the chars in such a way is no real option any longer.
    Thats why I have tested an alternative solution. The first tests looked promising today.

I will do a complete char reset of all affected chars.
    That means you will lose your progress on these chars. That includes explored map data, reputation data, statistics, ship, equipment cargo.
    With other words you get a brand new starflyer at manhattan.
    Why is that any good?
    Because you can keep your chars... and you can keep your money on these chars.
    All affected chars are not older than 2 weeks. That means we are not talking about chars with full maps, perfect reputations and full cargoholds. So the losses are not that big.
    Your money will stay on these chars and I will add 20mio $ to each char to compensate the costs for ship, equipment and cargo.
    This will allow you to get everything back in no time..... and it finally will stop kicking you from the server.

I guess thats the better alternative to losing the char for weeks/months/or even longer.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• you shouldnt make jokes about google

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• When is this reset of characters to occur?

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• 5mins ago
    however, it might require a server restart to work correctly

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• It's really the best alternative that we could have at the moment. And I know that losing stuff is a b*tch, but we always recover no matter what. And I cannot thank you enough again for giving us such an alternative.

• The server will be offline for a few hours.
    I want to do a few integrity checks on the hardware.

Edit by
    ... if the server allows me to connect

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• A short update on the situation.
    The server and the chars are running normal again.
    Meanwhile, we have a rough idea what went wrong and Huor changed the server config to avoid this problem until a final fix can be applied.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• What maybe happened? Technology burp that ruined a ton of people's characters?

Now if I didn't log onto the game during the broken char crisis, my characters should be fine

• one thing I noticed during earlier attempts to fix train characters (resetting them or something) was that I had 100/100 shield batteries and nano bots when the char loaded. Since the ship can't normally hold any I sold them and kept playing, taking care to equip/unequip any gear at the end to match what the train had when it loaded legally, though I couldn't replace the bots/batts. Doesn't really sound important but wanted to share.

• You can have "one-time" amount of bots/bats on train from previous ship. But after train purchase you can't buy another, once used, they gone. 100/100 can be for example if you had before Cayman fighter.