Role play is the balance right?

There are 13 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ramses.

• After my experience with the new role play scenarios yesterday, I have had time to reflect and wonder if this is going to work as it was intended.

Firstly, I think the principle is great but feel that the details need to be fine tuned. I appreciate that it is not working properly and needs to be adjusted, which means that hopefully my concerns might be taken into account when those adjustments are made.

Yesterday, an attempt was made to tax me by a pirate who demanded 20 million credits. All he had to lose was 200k.
    He knew that because I either had to pay or fight he had a good chance of getting his 20 million, because I have to keep on fighting him until either I pay or he gets his credits.
    Surely this is wrong? If you kill your opponent that should be the end of the matter and he should not be allowed to attack you anymore for 2 hours.
    With every attack, unless you can dock and reload, your ship gets weaker and eventually you will be killed.
    If you are in a transport you have absolutely no chance, you can’t flee and you cannot reach a safe haven so you might just as well hand over the credits.

I would like to suggest that a player can only tax or fine up to level he/she can be taxed or fined.
    So you will not get the totally unbalanced situation of someone only standing to lose 200k but almost certainly likely to gain 20 million.
    So for example, if a pirate can only be fined 2 million he/she can only demand 2 million in tax.

I gain most of my credits by doing missions, so I can defend myself but traders have no chance and I find it hard to see that this is fair.
    I think trading is hard enough as it and this makes it even harder.
    The smugglers art is to evade and escape from the police and pirates, surely if they manage to escape to another system or reach a safe haven, they should not be penalised for this.
    I cannot see how anyone can trade or make a profit working within this concept.

I do not think that this will make this server an attractive proposition for new players and might even drive away those who are here, especially in view of the totally unbalanced amounts involved.

As usual, if I have got this totally wrong, I apologise, but if my concerns have some merit perhaps they could be taken into account, when the role play aspect is rectified.

• I would like to suggest that a player can only tax or fine up to level he/she can be taxed or fined. So you will not get the totally unbalanced situation of someone only standing to lose 200k but almost certainly likely to gain 20 million. So for example, if a pirate can only be fined 2 million he/she can only demand 2 million in tax.

... this sounds interesting, but BEFORE we will have stable working server !AND! Huor have time to look properly on this function NOTHING can be done (and is a question if can be technically done change like this). MP is atm in beta stage, so we all need wait and if want play NOW, we need accept BETA conditions ... I had strong feel that some ppl overlooked this small detail ...

p.s.: maybe ppl will need change theirs usual "solo" play behaviour when will not be so easy target ;) ... and no one need to wait for pirate coming again and again ;)

• 1st : as mentioned by Martind - and can`t be said often enough - all still beta/prereleaese !! several issues, features, balances pending !!
    • 2nd : as you surly have read here : Crossfire 2.0 Roleplay explained tax/fine amount is calculated on the money of your char AND the money in the bank account of that chars player account. How many accounts do you have and can have that can transfer money between them ?? (Think about that and you will find a solution for the "unbalance" of fines and taxes ;) )

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• Btw ... I rly like this suggestion consider also attacker "rich" for final fine/tax amount calculation. But atm we simply need to have patience.

• I would like to suggest that a player can only tax or fine up to level he/she can be taxed or fined.

yes, that's a very good idea. let's hope that it's technically possible and Huor will find the time to implement that.

How many accounts do you have and can have that can transfer money between them ?? (Think about that and you will find a solution for the "unbalance" of fines and taxes ;) )

imho it cannot be the solution to hide money and therefor his rank in other chars or accounts. to be on rank 100 is something to be proud, to show "hey, i'm here for a long time, i like it here, i have much knowledge about CF ..." ;)

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• Also I had an experience that a pirate taxed me, i fought and killed him easily ( I dont give money to weaker, for sure) and thought ok I can just continue doing my missions. Then I was in a mission and he killed me when fighting NPCs. Is that really RP? Should be like he can try onece, If he does not succeed than the 2h limitation should apply.

• ( I dont give money to weaker, for sure)

why not? could be a good idea to keep newbies on server when they see a success from time to time ;)

and thought ok I can just continue doing my missions. Then I was in a mission and he killed me when fighting NPCs. Is that really RP? Should be like he can try onece, If he does not succeed than the 2h limitation should apply.

yes, should. and u should explain this to the pirate. some of them are really gentle, smart ... ;) or even newbies :D

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• Thanks for the feedback. I understand that this is BETA version and that is why I only requested if these suggestion could be taken into account, when the role play aspect is rectified.
    If I were Hour and had rectified the role play I would not be best pleased if someone like me came along and ask for it to be changed yet again. It is for this reason, I thought I had better make my suggestions now before Hour spends time and effort sorting it all out.

• @ Ramses
    BETA STAGE ;)

@ denne
    I definitly didn't meant this as a "final solution" for this prob.

Attention: Irony
    (Forgot this button)
    But being honest ... this was done already before in 1.9 then only with chars instead of accounts.
    For several reason by several players :
    +hiding wealth for lower tax/fine,
    +hiding status for "not-being-considered-threat" before strike. ^^

Other than that i am with you, denne :)

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• Hi Nucnuc,

Not giving to weaker just means that also like in caribean seas. If a pirate with a Sloop asks a Frigatte for ransom otherwise it will fight them, I think no money but a gun solvo would be exchanged and no more Sloop will be visible after the powderdust has faded :)

This has nothing to do with giving new guys possibility for good start. If I would still have my 200 mio credits and the strong ship also I could give 10 mio easily to a newbee to allow him start easier since I earn them in 1-2 hours.

Also I see my comment as a "hint", still this whole great thing is in beta and I just want to give my 2 cents from my experiences in Sirius

• guess what i will do with this thread
    ill ignore it
    there are bigger problems atm

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Of course there are more pressing matters, but I thought this was a BETA test, do you not want comments on all aspects of the game? I did not think for one minute that this would be a matter for immediate attention. As I said before, I did not want for anyone to question in the future, why if there were problems did nobody say anything? These are just thoughts and suggestions which I hope would receive consideration, as and when the aspect of role play receives further attention.

• nobody prevents you from commenting

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!