Vanilla progression made irrelevant?

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by xtachx.

• Starting two threads in one day...that's very bad, I know.

So, ive watched some videos of the mod now, and it looks like everything is taking five to ten times longer to kill, and maybe more...

I think I saw a post by the main developer of the mod saying simply "get better guns" in regard to complaints about the ashcroft missions...specifically, acquiring the powerful stunpulse weapons to bring shields down quickly, to deal with enemy regeneration.

Improved ai is definitely cool, but when you're expected to kill ten to twenty enemies in a mission that have numerical survivability equal to your own...isn't that incredibly tedious?

Also you dont seem to make money normally, you gain most of your funds from selling to prison ships or something, and otherwise you have to find the best trade routes to raise funds (even when you're confined to new york!?), or grind missions interminably to get up to the new net worth level requirements.

Also, why is the currency inflated right out of the gate (i think)? Seems more like asian currency volumes lol

Basically, is this all going to be the case in 2.0?

• Well, as about trade routes, you'll probably need a METAL BAWKS (i.e. Rhino), but then there is one thing worth considering: on Pittsburgh there is a Werewolf VHF which is a decent class-10 fighter. The problem: it costs A LOT, it'll probably take a week of trading. But you'll get four flippin' class 10 gun hardpoints and relatively powerful shield.
    Or if it's about Custodian and Black Eagle there, the same system offers Seething Fury VHF, with six class-10 guns, and Wyrm Type 2 guns.
    Also, level restrictions are removed, meaning you can grab something along the lines of torpedo launchers and other good equipment. Load up, engage trollface in mission 4 as you wipe everything out. AFAIK Custodian will be closed in 2.0 though. Dunno about Oasis and Sea of Shadows, but flak, you will already be outgunning most adversaries in Liberty (save from occasional Rheinland Wolverine/Grendel patrol in NY).
    (High prices, hmm... How about 1.3 million for a single gun? Well, it's justified, it's not an ordinary gun...)

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

Edited 2 times, last by Ajay: - ().

• Well, as about trade routes, you'll probably need a METAL BAWKS (i.e. Rhino), but then there is one thing worth considering: on Pittsburgh there is a Werewolf VHF which is a decent class-10 fighter. The problem: it costs A LOT, it'll probably take a week of trading. But you'll get four flippin' class 10 gun hardpoints and relatively powerful shield.
    Or if it's about Custodian and Black Eagle there, the same system offers Seething Fury VHF, with six class-10 guns, and Wyrm Type 2 guns.
    Also, level restrictions are removed, meaning you can grab something along the lines of torpedo launchers and other good equipment. Load up, engage trollface in mission 4 as you wipe everything out. AFAIK Custodian will be closed in 2.0 though. Dunno about Oasis and Sea of Shadows, but flak, you will already be outgunning most adversaries in Liberty (save from occasional Rheinland Wolverine/Grendel patrol in NY).
    (High prices, hmm... How about 1.3 million for a single gun? Well, it's justified, it's not an ordinary gun...)

yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about... do you have to farm for ridiculously overpowered ships for the gameplay to take acceptable amounts of time? It's not a good thing.... it's incompetent design. While you're in the vanilla campaign, if you haven't rebalanced every single vanilla ship, you probably shouldn't make enemy health so blitzy. It seems inelegant to have such weird balances of power. Some people stated that it gets easier after the first flight, when you have had a chance to optimize your stuff or just get idiotically overpowered junk; wouldn't it be better for the first encounter simply NOT to have regen spamming enemies, so as not to punish someone trying the mod?

Again, improved AI is good all the way around, that's not something I would argue with, and maybe it's even ok to set every enemy to max competence (though I would think you'd want a scale just to create a sense of progression).

The reason that you can use nanobots and batteries is that you'll often encounter enemies that are five to ten times more numerous than you and your allies. Better just to take bots and batteries out lol, and have a fairly hardcore game without taking eternities to beat. Imagine personally fighting two or three people yourself at once; even scrawny punks will beat the bejeezus out of you, unless you're a badass and lucky, too.

But, then, I've only watched videos and havent even tried it, so what do i know

• It is not bad idea get first own in-game experience. CF offers nice freedom for your decision how YOU want to play. Getting far from NY with basic ship is getting harder up to point when you realize that you need something better. And the best is, that even with the best ship (personal preference) and the best equipment you still will have challenge before you in far dangerous sectors.

... fights with NPCs duration depends about your skills, equipment and npc strength ... all this is nicely balanced from my experience. You only need accept a fact that you will need work on your skills if want fully enjoy this mod, that's it.

... Trade in CF space is too interesting and offers equal (or better) profit as income from fighting. Yes, this also need experience.

... this above works best in MP while playing with others (its much smoother when you can get on-line help)

... and about 'incompetent design' ... vanilla missions can be nicely passed with light fighter or other not 'top' ships (cf 2.0 experience) which are available on your campaign path. It is actually very easy and fun if you are able adapt and learn. I have some experience with cf space, but I really enjoyed also how is made progress in vanilla missions (again 2.0 experience). If you search for easy come easy go game, then CF mod definitely will be not your cup of tea.

• You need to work on your skill. Don't get any gun with a fire rate of 2.00. You have the money to buy the best vanilla ship in Liberty right from the beginning. Also, those escape pods are worth a lot in prison systems. Custodian is open in 1.9 right from the beginning so all the escape pods you collect can be sold in

You should be able to make enough money till the Ashcroft mission. Remember to dump all other cargo and check for pods after a fight. You can do that even the middle of a fight if you're skillful. Then you can get a

meh.

• Hint: Pick up the "jobs" at the bar not because of the cash but because of the pods. Level 1 is painful because all gates are locked so you have to use the custodian gate to get to alaska to sell the pods. A faster way to cross level 1 is to head 30 degrees right from west point academy into badlands - and finding a wreck with cardamine and a few weapons. Sell it at any place in liberty, and loot the 3 other wrecks. That should give you a significant boost in level 1.